Official Godzilla vs Kong Thread

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
This question's prolly better to ask by each individual series since the power levels vary from showa, heisei and millenium eras. But overall Destoroyah is #1, he was tanking attacks from Burning Godzilla which is stated to be the most powerful version of the G-Man (that awful anime doesn't count). For all his hype King Ghidorah was never close to killing Godzilla the way Hedorah, Mechagodzilla and a few others were on his own. The one time he was close he had help from Gigan

Hedorah is prolly the most powerful from the Showa series. Shot Godzilla's eye out, melted his hand down to the bone and nearly drowned/suffocated him. If Godzilla didn't get help from the military he was getting killed and Hedorah would've taken over the world.

Showa era Kumonga is a VERY underrated kaiju. No one brings him up because he's just a giant spider but Godzilla only escaped because he had help from his son. Only the combined atomic breaths of him and Minilla hurt Kumonga who's web was shown to be just as strong as Godzilla's beam. No to mention he stung Godzilla's eye out and poisoned him. Another kaiju that actually did more damage than King Ghidorah
Yeah that true by show. I think the ghidorah from godzilla earth anime is the most powerful. 20 km long, from another plane of existence, unkillable, Was a universal threat

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Finally watched kong skull island and Godzilla king of monsters. Kong skull island was dope, but Godzilla king of monsters was meh. Did not give one damn about the human characters in the Godzilla flick. Hopefully the new film is more skull island than king of monsters imo
@MartyMcFly here it is again :ohhh:
@darealvelle what exactly was it about each film that separated them? Genuinely curious :jbhmm:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@darealvelle what exactly was it about each film that separated them? Genuinely curious :jbhmm:
:russ: like I said, I don't get it. Every Godzilla movie, even the first one, has subplots with human characters that aren't the most engaging and or tangential at best. King of the monsters at least tied the shyt together. But still, that's a staple of the movies. Even the '98 movie is in that same vein.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
:russ: like I said, I don't get it. Every Godzilla movie, even the first one, has subplots with human characters that aren't the most engaging and or tangential at best. King of the monsters at least tied the shyt together. But still, that's a staple of the movies. Even the '98 movie is in that same vein.
I actually really enjoyed Skull Island as well but the cast in KOM was way better to me. I'm very curious on exactly what's the disconnect with audiences from Skull Island to Godzilla KOM:ohhh:

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yeah, the human plot is pretty much a trope of the Godzilla films, and has always taken up a majority of the screen time since the Japanese flicks. Can't say it's still not annoying though. :heh:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I actually really enjoyed Skull Island as well but the cast in KOM was way better to me. I'm very curious on exactly what's the disconnect with audiences from Skull Island to Godzilla KOM:ohhh:

just thinking about the shyt, everything in Kong skull island is about kong. There’s no family drama. No other soap opera. Everyone in that movie is there to hunt for him in one way or another so their character drama revolves around him. Nobody is stopping for 5 min to talk about their issues with mommy and daddy.

But that’s also a staple of King Kong movies; most of the personal conflict all revolve around him. Even the romance aspects of the original and both remakes still involve him somehow

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
But that’s also a staple of King Kong movies; most of the personal conflict all revolve around him. Even the romance aspects of the original and both remakes still involve him somehow
I think this is a really good point and why the human cast of Skull Island is better than either of the Godzilla movies. The original Godzilla was like that, too. Godzilla himself doesn’t appear much, and the human cast has to carry a lot of it, but the most compelling storylines - Serizawa’s decision to use the Oxygen Destroyer - revolve around Godzilla and the general themes of the film itself. It doesn’t feel tacked on the way the human storylines of the last two Godzilla films do.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Kong was straight to the point. It had none of them overly dramatic plot lines just to move a story. Action out the gate and it was fun. The characters were likable too. I like the fact the movie did not take it self seriously like Godzilla. I watched both those movies back to back last night as well, so I noticed the tone difference immediately

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think this is a really good point and why the human cast of Skull Island is better than either of the Godzilla movies. The original Godzilla was like that, too. Godzilla himself doesn’t appear much, and the human cast has to carry a lot of it, but the most compelling storylines - Serizawa’s decision to use the Oxygen Destroyer - revolve around Godzilla and the general themes of the film itself. It doesn’t feel tacked on the way the human storylines of the last two Godzilla films do.
But see I argued that the human characters in king of the monsters all revolve around Godzilla. Yes there’s a family drama at the center of it but that still connects back to Godzilla.

Their pain is because of the events in the first movie. Their reunification is about Godzilla, and their ultimate conclusion is about Godzilla. All of their family drama manifests itself in ways that move the plot forward and never takes too much attention away from the monsters. They just add human stakes

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Kong was straight to the point. It had none of them overly dramatic plot lines just to move a story. Action out the gate and it was fun. The characters were likable too. I like the fact the movie did not take it self seriously like Godzilla. I watched both those movies back to back last night as well, so I noticed the tone difference immediately
It's funny you think this because KOM literally did this compared to 2014:ohhh:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Kong 3X times the size he was in Skull Island:skip:
Thats still at least a 100ft smaller than the last time we saw Godzilla, who is also still growing. :skip:
The only way this movie happens without nerfing Godzilla down is Kong is fighting MechaGodzilla throughout most the movie. Those are the scenes we see in the trailer. Not the real godzilla. At the end, the real Godzilla shows up and we see that despite Kong getting boosted to 300ft since Skull Island, he is still a good size smaller than Godzilla and they both team up to take down MechaGodzilla.

bxrfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Memphis Grizzlies/Auburn Tigers
The human subplots vary from movie to movie for me. For instance I couldn't care less about the subplots for films like Mothra vs Godzilla, Invasion of Astro Monster and Destroy All Monsters. However I really liked the characters in films like Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster and Son of Godzilla

Ironically most of the movies I don't care about the cast are from the acclaimed Ishiro Honda films, while the cast from movies that are considered "bad" by Jun Fukunda I seemed to like (Megalon movie not included lol)