Official Ghostbusters (2016) Thread

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
So I just got back from it, and the truth is it's basically just another Paul Feig comedy. So if you've seen overrated ass Bridesmaids and overrated ass Spy, you kinda know what you're going to get. An average, sometimes slightly above average comedy that all in all got about eight sensible chuckles out of me. Most of those chuckles were indeed courtesy of Kate McKinnon, who stands not necessarily because she has the best jokes, but because she is about the only person in the entire cast who actually tries to do something with her role. Wiig and McCarthy, normally already painfully generic, are so completely and utterly replaceable here that they could've dug up Paris Hilton and paired her with Kim Kardashian and it would've worked better, because even though it would be awful, it would at least be something. In that sense the outrage over Leslie Jones' character is hilariously overblown. Yeah, her shtick is that she's loud, but at least she got a shtick. Every time Wiig and McCarthy are on screen it's a reminder that it's better to have a lazy, stereotypical shtick than no shtick at all.

Although there's an incredibly lazy turn by Hemworth as male secretary Kevin, a one-note character that's occasionally worth a chuckle, but because of Hemworth's utter lack of trying the role mostly makes the smaller, subtle efforts by actors such as Andy Garcia, Charles Dance and the various cameos seem that much more inspired. Plotwise it had enough of a fresh angle for me to dig it (in particular as to why the ghost occurrences increase) but there's really no arc to it, not to the individual characters or the team. What's worse is that in the last five minutes there are two incredibly forced attempts to still cram some of that stuff into the movie that it really just exposes how non-existent and empty the entire team dynamic has been all this time.

In the end it mostly ends up being Paul Feig's bland directing that is the most insulting of all. Already barely able to keep the average comedy afloat, here he consistently proves himself to be far out of his league as this might be the most amateurish looking blockbuster of all time. No movie that costs 150 million dollars should have the look and editing of a 5 million dollar Sean William Scott comedy, but outside of a barrage of CGI blur in the final act, this never lives up to its price tag.

In the end it stumbles somewhere between a 2.5/5 and a 3/5, and I guess I wasn't insulted enough to give it a 2.5/5 so I'll give it a marginally small 3/5. So with that said, I'll just drop my three favorite jokes from the movie (as spoiler-free as possible):

The middle-finger scene
The saxophone pictures
The joke about the Jaws mayor

Trip

slippery slope
Daps
Reppin
FL
Substitute Julia Roberts' niece and Aniston and you'd probably garner more interest from a wider audience considering pretty much everyone thought Meet the Millers was funny. Hell even Julia Roberts herself.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
CnDj7DcVUAQ-GDS.jpg:large

:dead:

between work, friends, food, booze, and p*ssy... where do ppl find time for asinine bullshyt like this!? :mindblown:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
just saw a tv spot during the home run derby. they must really be hurting b.c
they spoiled Bill Murray cameo

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
@TheGodling

Are the plot details/cameos accurate in this video:

details start @ around 19:30
thanks

Unless there was something after the credits, there is no specific setup towards a sequel/trilogy. The plot description towards the end of the video is largely correct safe for some minor details.

Regarding the cameos:

They are all in it. That is to say, Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Ernie Hudson and even Sigourney Weaver. Harold Ramis of course died back in 2014 but I did notice another person whose last name was Ramis in the end credits, so maybe his son or something was given a small role instead.