QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Twists have to be properly set up. They can't just happen out of nowhere. And twists are supposed to put all of the scenes leading up to it in a different context so when you go back and watch it you're like :ohhh:it was all there. Twists aren't supposed to retroactively make all of the scenes leading up to it seem stupid or nonsensical. If they do then it's bad writing. And everything to get to the twist was just manufactured to trick you, at the expense of the story and characters. Or what people say "twist for the sake of a twist." Good twists make you appreciate the journey to get to the twist. Bad twists care only about the shock of the moment, with very little care given to how you get there.

GRRM has a three-step reveal strategy for his twists.

From his editor:

..it is easier to tell when he’s overplaying a hand and revealing things too early if you don’t actually know going in what will happen. That said, now that I’ve realized his three-fold revelation strategy, I see it in play almost every time. The first, subtle hint for the really astute readers, followed later by the more blatant hint for the less attentive, followed by just spelling it out for everyone else. It’s a brilliant strategy, and highly effective.

Like the Red Wedding and Neds Execution, still the biggest twists in the show, all had clues leading up to it. They didn't sacrifice story and characters for a shocking moment.

Best ever on screen twist in tv for me.
When the Boltons sent one arm Jamie back scott free and when we were also told of how the Frey's felt undermined by all the other noble houses for years, one could certainly suspect something but NO ONE could have predicted the Red Wedding man. No one. shyt was brutal.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Anyone with a April 30th was a true bannerman and answered the call to arms when Brook & Cooks Rebellion started :mjgrin:

I'm like member 28. Everyone femme banned came through instantly. :mjlol:

.I just seen the outline grr Martin sent to his editor when he only had 13 chapters of the first book written. shyts crazy. I think it's okay to post here since most of this shyt won't happen.

MAGNETO.

#STARKSET #LEMONCAKEGANG #NYGBIGBLUE
Daps
Reppin
NY FOOTBALL GIANTS. #STARKSET
A Roberts Rebellion Prequel Series would be fukking Dope, nothing too long, just a 12 episode season or something, and since it takes place a good 15-20 years before GOT you could have younger actors playing Tywin, Robert etc. Like they did with Ned and it not be weird, obviously stay with the same actor who played Young Ned.

The Mad King Ruling shyt With Tywin as his hand and their fall out, Rhaegars affair with Lyanna, Neds Dad and Brother being Killed and Tortured, The battle at Storms End, Robert Killing Rhaegar at The Battle Of The Trident, The Sacking Of Kings Landing, Dani being born and being shipped off, Jaime killing the Mad King and Robert taking the throne. If done right it'd be fire imo.

too bad we know too much about it already

would've loved if thrones did a throwback episode about it but that ship has sailed

MAGNETO.

#STARKSET #LEMONCAKEGANG #NYGBIGBLUE
Daps
Reppin
NY FOOTBALL GIANTS. #STARKSET
So #StarkSet can claim #WalkerGang too? :mjgrin:

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

you are descended from #starkset sit down be humble :wow: