Ned Starks death really is one of the saddest moments in TV series history

Such a noble man
giphy.gif

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Do ya'll watch the Alt-Shift-X channel on YouTube? It's a channel where a narrator basically go over various episodes of GoT and they discuss different theories regarding characters and episodes. It's pretty interesting. I've been watching it all night. I can't wait til season 7.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
Do ya'll watch the Alt-Shift-X channel on YouTube? It's a channel where a narrator basically go over various episodes of GoT and they discuss different theories regarding characters and episodes. It's pretty interesting. I've been watching it all night. I can't wait til season 7.

yeah its pretty cool, im pretty sure there's a lot of guys that watch it

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
Oyelowo should blame George RR Martin for the lack of black main characters. The Game of Thrones showrunners have actually cast black people that are absolutely white in the novels. Any time I hear this brought up, I first wonder if they have actually watched the show, and if so, who do they think should be black? It really can't be any of the major house characters, unless you are arbitrarily going to make one of them of Summer Islander lineage......like okay....the Tyrells are now black.....which completely fukks up the entire history and worldbuilding of the continent because they are traced from the andals....so no major house characters...so what major character do they want to make black?

Melisandre?

Davos?

Varys?

Shae?

Daario?:mjlol:

I did think they should have cast Chataya and Alayaya from the novels to replace Ros, as they were the only black presence I can remember in King's Landing, but everyone would have been pissed anyway at them for making the only black characters in King's Landing whores, and for using the stereotype of black women being promiscuous by nature/culture. Not the mention the uproar if Joffrey would have killed them as he killed Ros:huhldup:...so it was probably best they cut them:manny:

It's the novels that have to be blamed, if you are going to blame anyone.

This is a months old post but I gotta pull your card. They could've made one of the houses black if they wanted. The characters in the books married people from Essos all the time all throughout Westeros' history. They could have easily introduced a princess from the Summer Islands or Sothoros and had her marry into a Westeros house. Now there's a mixed black family. It happened plenty of times in actual European history. For example, Daenerys married somebody that was supposed to represent a mixture of the Arabs and Mongols, so how is that any different from somebody else having a black spouse. They just didn't want to.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
This is a months old post but I gotta pull your card. They could've made one of the houses black if they wanted. The characters in the books married people from Essos all the time all throughout Westeros' history. They could have easily introduced a princess from the Summer Islands or Sothoros and had her marry into a Westeros house. Now there's a mixed black family. It happened plenty of times in actual European history. For example, Daenerys married somebody that was supposed to represent a mixture of the Arabs and Mongols, so how is that any different from somebody else having a black spouse. They just didn't want to.

I actually have a different opinion now than when I made that post. I think some of the supporting characters like Shae, Varys, Davos, Daario, and Melisandre (the same ones I said nope to at first) characters could have been black, asian, etc. But I still don't think randomly making the Tyrells marry a black character, for instance, would have been a good choice. Major Houses don't just randomly marry Summer Islander princesses. In fact they treat them like shyt, which is why the royal characters from The Summer Isles mentioned in A Game of Thrones aren't taken seriously at all. The Essos and Westeros political relationship is much different than the Sothoros/Westeros relationship, and marriage reflects that throughout the series.

I read awhile ago that GRRM thought he missed an opportunity by not making the Targaryens black. It would have been interesting considering how it would have changed his vision for Jon Snow.

YaThreadTrashB!

Superstar
Daps
I actually have a different opinion now than when I made that post. I think some of the supporting characters like Shae, Varys, Davos, Daario, and Melisandre (the same ones I said nope to at first) characters could have been black, asian, etc. But I still don't think randomly making the Tyrells marry a black character, for instance, would have been a good choice. Major Houses don't just randomly marry Summer Islander princesses. In fact they treat them like shyt, which is why the royal characters from The Summer Isles mentioned in A Game of Thrones aren't taken seriously at all. The Essos and Westeros political relationship is much different than the Sothoros/Westeros relationship, and marriage reflects that throughout the series.

I read awhile ago that GRRM thought he missed an opportunity by not making the Targaryens black. It would have been interesting considering how it would have changed his vision for Jon Snow.
they would have used the same actor

:mjpls:

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment

In the books there is a prince from the Summer Islands in Westeros. He's not shown in the show. He's treated respectfully like the rest of the royals and nobility. He's just looked act kinda like a fish out of water when he's the only Black Prince in a mostly white city. You can't say it's unrealistic when it happened in Europe. Marriages were about dowries and political leverage. So why is it inconceivable that a house in Westeros could align themselves with a rich family in the Summer Isles that wanted to link itself politically with a connected Westerosi family. It's not that out there. Egyptians married Nubians, Arabs and Libyans. Romans married Greeks and Persians. Queen Charlotte was most likely black or had black admixture. The Moors obviously ran through Europe. In the World of Ice and Fire book, the Lannisters and a bunch of other houses married people from far off places in Essos, some a farther distance than the Summer Isles. Just keep it a buck and says it's the fact they're black which makes it's unrealistic eventhough there were black people in Europe in the Middle Ages in real life. Camelot had a Black Queen in their show so is not crazy to have at least one of the families in the show have black people in it. Especially Dorne since it's right on the coast and by the Summer Isles.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
In the books there is a prince from the Summer Islands in Westeros. He's not shown in the show. He's treated respectfully like the rest of the royals and nobility. He's just looked act kinda like a fish out of water when he's the only Black Prince in a mostly white city. You can't say it's unrealistic when it happened in Europe. Marriages were about dowries and political leverage. So why is it inconceivable that a house in Westeros could align themselves with a rich family in the Summer Isles that wanted to link itself politically with a connected Westerosi family. It's not that out there. Egyptians married Nubians, Arabs and Libyans. Romans married Greeks and Persians. Queen Charlotte was most likely black or had black admixture. The Moors obviously ran through Europe. In the World of Ice and Fire book, the Lannisters and a bunch of other houses married people from far off places in Essos, some a farther distance than the Summer Isles. Just keep it a buck and says it's the fact they're black which makes it's unrealistic eventhough there were black people in Europe in the Middle Ages in real life. Camelot had a Black Queen in their show so is not crazy to have at least one of the families in the show have black people in it. Especially Dorne since it's right on the coast and by the Summer Isles.

The prince you are referencing (that I also referenced in my post) was an exile that no one took serious. Robert only kept him around because he humored the idea of invading the Islands (dude was a conqueror at heart) and Quentyn later reflects on how everyone in King's Landing saw him as an amusing curiosity and nothing more. So the only Summer Islander presence at court was an exile that Robert toyed with and whores or exotic dancers.The Dothraki have more political dealings with the Summer Isles than Westeros does.

Major Westeros houses do not fukk with the Summer Islands politically, they are not sending marriage vows to their princes and princesses, just like they aren't marrying wealthy people from Yi Ti. They have their go-tos for marriage, political unions, and allies. You can go through the history of their family tree and see how close together they all marry.

And just to be clear, my position isn't that it's "unrealistic" because of anything real world. This is fiction with made up history. It can go damn near any direction you will it to go. If there was a season 9 and they came up with a plot that involved Major Houses deciding to mess with the Summer Islands on a real political level, then that would be fine. But you're acting like Westeros houses and Summer Islanders already do, which is where we part ways. My position is that it wouldn't make sense based on the lore already established for any of the current major houses (or more specifically, the main characters from the major houses on the tv show) to be black or asian or any other ethnicity that exists in ASOIAF. The only exception being the Sand Snakes, since Prince Oberyn was fathering children all over the world, and since the Summer Islands are all about sex, it actually wouldn't make sense if he didn't stop there to indulge. He should have a few Dornish/Islander shorties around the way.

If you are saying that a Major House, say the Freys, could have had some 11th born son that married a black character and had children with them that are shown in the background, then you'll get no disagreement from me. But I assumed you were talking about actual on screen characters, like Loras, or Theon, or Edmure, or Ramsay...since that is what the article I originally responded to was talking about.

Last edited: