Official Game of Thrones Season 4 Thread *The North Remembers*(NO SPOILERS!!)

Daps
im saying it's a reach that you really believe she mixed up her own words with absolutely NO proof

because it was an important moment to her, the time she lied to the gawds nikka :dahell: they dont forget vows they make/break

When did I say she mixed up her own words? I never said that. I said she wasn't quoting herself.

Like I said, as she is telling Talisa the story she says she promised to plead with Ned to just give him a proper name and 'be done with it', and laments that she reneged and the Gods are punishing her for it. As in, if she followed through with her promise, Jon would be a Stark. Not that if she followed through she's have to hope Ned would send a raven to king's landing and hope Robert does something that is frowned upon to suit her whims.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Cat's statement definitely changes that unless you're using the books to blind yourself

what does it change? if she wanted Jon legitimized, she would have to ask Ned to make it happen. she knew Ned and Robert were close, and that Ned could probably make it happen. the problem is if Ned would want that. it seems to go against his general appeal to 'honor'. among other things, it would put Jon ahead of his younger 'legitimate' children (Bran & Rickon)

Daps
if she wanted Jon legitimized, she would have to ask Ned to make it happen.
Yes, this is true, she says this.
she knew Ned and Robert were close, and that Ned could probably make it happen.
She doesn't say this, or even hint at it.

She hints at the fact she'd have to convince Ned to to do it ("I'd plead with him...") but doesn't hint that Ned would have to get Robert on board to make it happen. A major step to leave out since, apparently, legitimizing b*stards is something a King would only do reluctantly. Why would she even promise something she can't deliver on? Why not just promise to love the boy and treat him as well as she treats her own children?

Writer's error? I'll buy that. But she def makes it seem like Ned had the power to legitimize Jon Snow. I'll ask again: Is this scene in the books?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
legitimizing b*stards is something a King would only do reluctantly

why do you say that? I don't think Robert would give a fukk. he'd sign the decree, and go get drunk

edit: Robert came to Ned and instantly made him one of the most powerful men in the kingdom (Hand of the King). it was also Robert's idea to wed Sansa and Joff. I think it's clear Robert would have no issues with legitimizing Ned's b*stard. as I said, Ned would be the one that would have issues with that sort of thing

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
When did I say she mixed up her own words? I never said that. I said she wasn't quoting herself.

Like I said, as she is telling Talisa the story she says she promised to plead with Ned to just give him a proper name and 'be done with it', and laments that she reneged and the Gods are punishing her for it. As in, if she followed through with her promise, Jon would be a Stark. Not that if she followed through she's have to hope Ned would send a raven to king's landing and hope Robert does something that is frowned upon to suit her whims.
we gonna act like Robert wasn't Ned's nikka now? cat doesn't have to hint at robert/ned being cool, every knew this, you could see in the TV show they were obviously tight like that :bryan: why would he even care if ned asked him to do it, what would stop him?

only ned would have a problem with that cuz it would put Jon next in command at winterfell over his real kids

you're nitpicking the hell outta what she said breh :bryan: then you keep bringing up books like that would change the conversation in any way

Daps
why do you say that? I don't think Robert would give a fukk. he'd sign the decree, and go get drunk

edit: Robert came to Ned and instantly made him one of the most powerful men in the kingdom (Hand of the King). it was also Robert's idea to wed Sansa and Joff. I think it's clear Robert would have no issues with legitimizing Ned's b*stard. as I said, Ned would be the one that would have issues with that sort of thing

I say that because this was said:

Nah, I think that Cat was just saying she would treat him like a Stark, accept him. Only Robert could have legitimized him. But there would be no reason for Robert to do that, it is a rare practice and sort of taboo ever since an old Targaryen king legitimized all his b*stards while on his deathbed and caused a civil war within the Targaryen dynasty (the Blackfyre Rebellion)

I have no idea what Robert would've done, but if it's a rare practice and taboo in Westeros, I can't see Cat acting like she all she had to do was convince Ned. If getting the king to do it was just a formaility then I could buy her leaving Robert's role out, but apparently it's not and would've been a significant request for Ned to make.

Daps
we gonna act like Robert wasn't Ned's nikka now? cat doesn't have to hint at robert/ned being cool, every knew this, you could see in the TV show they were obviously tight like that :bryan: why would he even care if ned asked him to do it, what would stop him?

only ned would have a problem with that cuz it would put Jon next in command at winterfell over his real kids

you're nitpicking the hell outta what she said breh :bryan: then you keep bringing up books like that would change the conversation in any way

Cuz it clearly didn't happen in the books, that's why y'all can't accept that the TV show is saying something different. I've seen this before....

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I say that because this was said:

I have no idea what Robert would've done, but if it's a rare practice and taboo in Westeros, I can't see Cat acting like she all she had to do was convince Ned. If getting the king to do it was just a formaility then I could buy her leaving Robert's role out, but apparently it's not and would've been a significant request for Ned to make.

it's "rare and taboo" because there would usually have to be a reason for it. that reason would usually be a person had no legitimate heirs, so they needed to legitimize a b*stard to carry their name

Cat feeling bad because she 'cursed' a child, and that child is now sick, wouldn't really be seen as a legitimate reason. but that doesn't mean Robert would have gave a fukk if it was something Ned really wanted. but it wasn't something Ned really wanted

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
:mindblown:

Just what in the entire fukk are y'all talking about.

Waging wars between 1700 and 2000 technology
A b*stard King legitimizing himself besides the fact he isn't even a b*stard
And now Jon Snow being a Stark

All of you need to go take a break.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
giphy.gif
realest L of the entire series