OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
Unpopular Opinion: I've read the books and I know this was set up, but Jon Snow should've died and stayed dead (or at the very least been severely changed after resurrection). Up to that point, you make these types of mistakes and the consequences were severe. Once they brought him back it was like a core principle of this world had been changed.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
A lot of people have stopped caring and have moved on to other things. Going forward, HOTD is largely going to be a cgi-fest and not the more suspenseful political/interpersonal scheming that attracted them to GoT.

All this time between seasons, between various projects that may never see airtime...Martin will trend toward his nadir until/unless he actually releases another book.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Unpopular Opinion: I've read the books and I know this was set up, but Jon Snow should've died and stayed dead (or at the very least been severely changed after resurrection). Up to that point, you make these types of mistakes and the consequences were severe. Once they brought him back it was like a core principle of this world had been changed.
Not that far in the books but didn't the dude The Hound body already prove this was possible long before Jon

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
John coldnt stay dead duh... Danny, the wildlings, the north did what they did because of Jon. He was to important for the plot

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
John coldnt stay dead duh... Danny, the wildlings, the north did what they did because of Jon. He was to important for the plot
My point is that when I first started watching Game of Thrones, I couldn't believe that Ned Starks got killed. Then I read that GRRM wrote GOT to subvert the standard hero tropes and cliches that are popular in TV and movies. Your traditional heroes die if they make the wrong decision, no matter how noble the cause. TO ME, this changed when Jon was resurrected. By those last couple of seasons, it becomes a traditional fantasy series. Jon, Sansa, Arya and Bran were going to make it to the end no matter what mistakes they made which according to GRRM is the antithesis of what GOT was supposed to be.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
My point is that when I first started watching Game of Thrones, I couldn't believe that Ned Starks got killed. Then I read that GRRM wrote GOT to subvert the standard hero tropes and cliches that are popular in TV and movies. Your traditional heroes die if they make the wrong decision, no matter how noble the cause. TO ME, this changed when Jon was resurrected. By those last couple of seasons, it becomes a traditional fantasy series. Jon, Sansa, Arya and Bran were going to make it to the end no matter what mistakes they made which according to GRRM is the antithesis of what GOT was supposed to be.
One resurection was ok...it didnt bother me. What bothered me was everything else. You cant kill everyone. Killing major characters just for shock value would become corny and expected after a while
. I mean with jon dead...
No wildling army.
No battle of the b*stards
No king in the north
No danny going north
No dead dragon to melt the wall
No better claim to the throne than danny
No danny going mad
No jon killing danny

Who knows maybe he should've stayed dead

Last edited:

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
One resurection was ok...it didnt bother me. What bothered me was everything else. You cant kill everyone. Killing major characters just for shock value would become corny. I mean with jon dead...
No wildling army.
No battle of the b*stards
No king in the north
No danny going north
No dead dragon to melt the wall
No better claim to the throne than danny
No danny going mad
No jon killing danny

Who knows maybe he should've stayed dead
To me there is the show before Jon's death (which for the most part is where the book material ends) and the show after Jon's death.
One of these days I will rewatch the series, but it was at this point that the story telling changes and it may have more to do with not having any more source material.