PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
What's that for, most soulless, stiff, humorless director that we have to pretend is a master filmmaker?

Neither Nolan or Villeneuve's films have any soul. Even when they try to go for human emotions in Interstellar and Arrival it comes across as awkward and ill-fitting. Like autistic children trying to understand real human emotion.

Their films take themselves far too seriously but actually have very little to say. Portentous atmosphere and oblique narrative structure does not equal depth.

I don't dislike all their films. Sicario had some very strong moments. Blade Runner was spectacular visually although how much Villeneuve has been getting carried by Roger Deakins is certainly a question to be asked.

The Dark Knight was the best modern comic book film. I thought Dunkirk was a visceral experience (weighed down by Nolan's usual over-engineered narrative trickery bullshyt)

Sorry for the rant but i could not hold my tongue any longer on these two directors. Not when I see them constantly propped up as Kubrick level auteurs by certain corners of the internet including this forum.
Uhh. Have you ever seen Prisoners? Sicario? Arrival? These films have PLENTY of emotion. If you've never lost a family member to a kidnapping or murder, maybe you wouldn't connect with Prisoners. The ending of Sicario? Sheesh. I've seen Arrival make people cry, especially if you've lost a child or know someone who has. I watched one of my friends who is in the marines cry when Cooper met back with his daughter when she was old in Interstellar. Just because you can't seem to connect emotionally doesn't mean others can't.

Blaze500

Banned
Daps
What's that for, most soulless, stiff, humorless director that we have to pretend is a master filmmaker?

Neither Nolan or Villeneuve's films have any soul. Even when they try to go for human emotions in Interstellar and Arrival it comes across as awkward and ill-fitting. Like autistic children trying to understand real human emotion.

Their films take themselves far too seriously but actually have very little to say. Portentous atmosphere and oblique narrative structure does not equal depth.

I don't dislike all their films. Sicario had some very strong moments. Blade Runner was spectacular visually although how much Villeneuve has been getting carried by Roger Deakins is certainly a question to be asked.

The Dark Knight was the best modern comic book film. I thought Dunkirk was a visceral experience (weighed down by Nolan's usual over-engineered narrative trickery bullshyt)

Sorry for the rant but i could not hold my tongue any longer on these two directors. Not when I see them constantly propped up as Kubrick level auteurs by certain corners of the internet including this forum.
What is your opinion on George Miller?

Daps

Man shut the fukk up with this bs :mjlol:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Uhh. Have you ever seen Prisoners? Sicario? Arrival? These films have PLENTY of emotion. If you've never lost a family member to a kidnapping or murder, maybe you wouldn't connect with Prisoners. The ending of Sicario? Sheesh. I've seen Arrival make people cry, especially if you've lost a child or know someone who has. I watched one of my friends who is in the marines cry when Cooper met back with his daughter when she was old in Interstellar. Just because you can't seem to connect emotionally doesn't mean others can't.
I think hes speaking in general bruh. If I had lost a child to kidnapping I sure as hell wouldn't be watching a movie about kids being kidnapped. Actually I hate most movies that focus on a child's suffering.

Obviously a movie like Arrival gave no indication a child dying from cancer would be included in the plot but I understand dudes perspective and agree that his movies fall a little flat when he tries to shoehorn that into the story or convey it the way he did.

Blaze500

Banned
Daps
He's a good director. Not one of my favorites but a very diverse filmography. Obviously the Mad Max films are his legacy but he's done some interesting things outside of that.
Many call Fury Road the greatest action film of all time... would you agree with that or not