KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
This book is like the cornerstone of sci fi. But can someone answer me this question, is it a “white savior” story? I seen people argue that Paul becomes a super being and messiah among a native tribe but also have heard people argue that it’s a complete subversion of the trope

That applies to the David Lynch version, and also apparently to what Jodorowsky's version would have been from what I heard. So it depends on the director's take.

However, the creators of the Sci Fi Channel's version openly compared their version of Paul to Osama Bin Laden. And in the books Paul actually compares HIMSELF to an ancient emperor called "Hitler". My take is that it should be something like "Anakin reluctantly becomes Palpatine" after murdering the evil Jedi.

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
The white savior shyt people are in they feelings about is gonna be hilarious if the sequels are made. I'll just leave it at that (except for the one PS saying it's yet another reason Lucas owes so much)

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Any of yall read past the first book. Loved the first book. Was gonna start the 2nd but after Googling it, it seems like it gets mad weird so I just stopped at the first 1
It's virtually impossible to be as good as Dune, but I thought the 2nd and 3rd books were very very good.

The first time I started reading the 4th book I gave up early, maybe partly cause I was told it was gonna be crap. About 5 years ago I finally read books 4-6 (after having read Dune a good six or seven times at least). I thought they were well-written and interesting even if I didn't find them as good as the first three.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This book is like the cornerstone of sci fi. But can someone answer me this question, is it a “white savior” story? I seen people argue that Paul becomes a super being and messiah among a native tribe but also have heard people argue that it’s a complete subversion of the trope

Yeah, here's a massive spoiler.

I'm serious, don't read this shyt cause I'm gonna spoil the whole thing for you.
Imagine if after Bernie was cheated out of the 2016 elections, he moved to the hood, adopted the Black community's culture, married a Black woman, came back with a Black army who were invincibly superior to even the best of the White people, conquered America, and then his mixed race children and their black compatriots proceeded to conquer the world and Black folk ruled all of humanity for the next 3000 years because they were unbeatable and superior to all other cultures.

Is that a "White Savoir" narrative or not? It's up to you. But Paul is a genetically engineered unicorn, a completely unique being in the history of the universe, so stereotyping him to be of a particular race is kinda besides the point. And by the end of the book he has become one of the native people entirely and, outside of Paul, even the weakest fighter among the native people is superior to the strongest soldiers of the colonizing army - not because of genetics, but because their lives have been so much more difficult than those in power that they've been hardened by experience.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This shyt looks fire. Just hits every note perfectly. The trailer won't make sense to people who haven't read the book but that's fine, most of what they show is from the very beginning of the story and they avoided giving too many spoilers. You can body a trailer and still screw up the film, but this looks to be as honest a retelling of the story as I can imagine.

Also, I'm really glad he's only doing the first half of the book. It was far too long to fit into one movie and there's nothing major that you skip and still do the plot justice. And the first half of the book is a very natural break, it was almost like two books in one anyway.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
It's virtually impossible to be as good as Dune, but I thought the 2nd and 3rd books were very very good.

The first time I started reading the 4th book I gave up early, maybe partly cause I was told it was gonna be crap. About 5 years ago I finally read books 4-6 (after having read Dune a good six or seven times at least). I thought they were well-written and interesting even if I didn't find them as good as the first three.

I was the same breh, I think I gave up a quarter through the 4th book and never revisited them.

Might need to pick them up again.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
OHH!!!!!:ooh:

So they doing a REMAKE remake:leon:

Nah, that's pretty damn unlikely.

They're just showing some of the most vital scenes from the story, the shyt that would HAVE to be in any movie about the book. But in other, major ways the previous movie deviated so far from the book that I see zero chance of the new movie following along. It's going to be a lot different.

And why the hell is Patrick Stewart carrying a fukking pug. :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Delayed till Oct. 21 :mjcry:

LINK: Dune delayed to October 1st, 2021

Dune delayed to October 1st, 2021

Dune is the latest movie to get pushed back to 2021, following a number of other highly anticipated blockbuster films, including Black Widow and No Time to Die. It’ll now be released on October 1st, 2021 — nearly a full year after the original December 18th release date, Collider and The Wrap have reported.

The Dune delay comes after Regal and Cineworld announced that it would be shuttering all of its theaters in the US and the UK, following the delay of No Time to Die last week. With more and more major films that were originally scheduled to debut this fall moving to 2021 due to concerns over the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, there’s simply not enough new content for theaters to show right now.

Dune’s changed release date isn’t too much of a surprise, as studios are continuously trying to figure out the best time to release their biggest movies. Warner Bros. already delayed another of its movies, Wonder Woman 1984, from October to December 25th. Industry insiders assumed that with Wonder Woman 1984 moving to December, the same month that Dune was originally scheduled to be released, Denis Villeneuve’s adaptation would likely be punted to 2021.

That October 1st date is a bit confusing, though, given that Warner Bros. has already delayed a major 2020 film to that date: Robert Pattinson’s The Batman is already slated for the same day, meaning it’s likely that one of the two Warner Bros. blockbusters will be shifting again.

Warner Bros. is giving itself some wiggle room, though. When the studio premiered the first Dune trailer in September, the film’s release date was specifically left out. All the trailer said is “coming to theaters.” It seems like Warner Bros. learned from its experience with Christopher Nolan’s Tenet, which was delayed a few times leading to marketing kerfuffles.

‘DUNE’ FANS WILL HAVE TO WAIT NEARLY A FULL YEAR TO SEE THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED ADAPTATION

Keeping dates out of trailers isn’t the only thing Warner Bros. learned from Tenet. The studio released the film internationally on August 26th, before bringing it to the United States and China on September 3rd. The film was only able to play in select cities and was kept out of key markets like Los Angeles and New York City. Tenet has only generated $36.1 million Stateside, but the film has seen much bigger success internationally, racking up more than $203 million. While that doesn’t make the film profitable for Warner Bros., it may be enough incentive to keep Wonder Woman 1984 in the December 25th spot, while moving Dune to a period when more people may be able to get to movie theaters.

Warner Bros. isn’t the only studio in this position, either. Disney has delayed many of its big films, including Black Widow. Scarlett Johansson’s standalone Marvel movie will now open on May 7th, 2021, instead of November 6th, 2020. This makes 2020 the first year without a Marvel Cinematic Universe film since 2009. As part of the delay, other Marvel titles like Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and The Eternals are also delayed. Meanwhile, West Side Story and The King’s Man, two films Disney inherited from its acquisition of 21st Century Fox, also moved to 2021.

Is it fair to say that 2020 is mostly a wash for film studios? Sure. Only a handful of major blockbusters still remain on the theatrical schedule for this year, including Wonder Woman 1984, Free Guy, Pixar’s Soul, and Death on the Nile. Some films have performed well via digital rental platforms — Trolls World Tour allegedly made $100 million for Universal — but for the most part, executives are hopeful 2021 will be a much better year.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Was to be expected with the news of Regal shutting down theaters, especially since it's becoming more obvious that WB bet completely wrong on Tenet.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Just got the email.... got 2 days to see something, already seen Tenet twice.

DuXakNJc3ILfFynxpxh_C_LiXFhjLLZJHfJc5hYX-kZM-GJpU5TF8ySVvkEBftS_ApzVxy5KiaBtPXkIGsUWtHFZ2MVCEGnRb7gXcDDINuAUS-HKeeoMc8NnsPBP-2EJLaE1NoS9MUM=s0-d-e1-ft

To our valued Regal Unlimited subscribers,

It is with a heavy heart that Regal has announced that our theatres are temporarily closing effective end of day Thursday, October 8.

We know you have questions about your Regal Unlimited subscriptions, and we will do our best to address what this means for your subscription plans.

• Effective immediately, we are freezing all Unlimited subscriptions with no payments being taken for monthly Regal Unlimited subscribers. You will be able to use your Unlimited membership through the end of the week.
• Your Unlimited subscription contract will be extended the number of days our theatres are closed and upon our re-opening we will communicate this information with you.
• Any rewards or credits that expire while we are closed will be reinstated when our theatres reopen.

We sincerely wish good health for you and your families and will contact you with reopening details once available.

The Regal Team

R9i4hqRPlAimh3gOXIK2rFs6O68cBp0-kHvpHC4DMOkvUjaI68kYCqI-4bwrSo-UknsXTv_fKO4szMZQ1bYhyu4KXm87_jgX9Rhht4cf-2zyEMOQu3fuZFcSZm6oIP-1imVeY3cVYFEm4s4gh5yAiDOZ7W9mqfiHcjMYnl9Az-ioVXoysFmYX6WpQRTbgPDtjx3f292iQGgZXuPaJCB2AF2JsSHEP1A=s0-d-e1-ft