Official CryptoCurrency Thread (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum & More)

paperbag

Death to the demoness Allegra Geller
Daps
Can someone please quote and answer this. One of my last questions.

Do I really need a wallet? From what I can tell it just secures my password and seed phrase, right? Why couldn't I just print that out on some paper and manually type it in when I need to use it? Assuming these sites are secure and not hacked, that's as secure as secure gets right?

Or is there a specific reason I need to get the nano? But I read that you shouldn't use it with a computer that has internet access. So how does that work?

Mt. Gox - Wikipedia

Hackers Have Stolen Millions Of Dollars In Bitcoin -- Using Only Phone Numbers

A paper wallet works too, but outside of mt gox most people lose their coins because they lose their files/passwords/seed phrase. ledger is just easy and only $70

Last edited:

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mt. Gox - Wikipedia

Hackers Have Stolen Millions Of Dollars In Bitcoin -- Using Only Phone Numbers

A paper wallet works too, but outside of mt gix most people lose there couns because the lose there files/passwords/seed phrase. ledger is just easy and only $70

I think I'm going to roll with the paper since I don't want to day trade. From what I read I can add money but when I remove the money into coinbase or somewhere else to sell it I need to move EVERYTHING off the paper wallet and discard it. Sounds good to go for holding.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think I'm going to roll with the paper since I don't want to day trade. From what I read I can add money but when I remove the money into coinbase or somewhere else to sell it I need to move EVERYTHING off the paper wallet and discard it. Sounds good to go for holding.
Yep. Generate the address offline and you're good. I keep a little btc on exchanges for trading but most on paper.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Seems like the value in Ether is that it is the currency for all the ICOs. And all the real money is in ICOs. The top 5 of all time are up over 60,000% from their ICO which basically created millionaires in 3 years.

But the problem is since these aren't securities ANYTHING GOES. Including backroom deals where they sell the unsold tokens to people off market at a discount, trading on insider info, etc. etc.

I know I should just buy like $2k of BTC and never look at it but ICOs are where the risk and rewards are brehs :patrice:

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly, I am new to this game myself and just getting started. I do 10% to 401k and have a stock portfolio that is performing well. (Thanks Nvidia!!) I am not trying to trade currencies daily or hourly to make quick profits. I only buy the coins I believe in as a project, which as of right now are BTC, ETH, GNT, FCT. I also own SiaCoin and EMC, but these are mostly gambles that I am willing to accept going to zero on, but I think could go the other way too. I will look to get into ZenCash when it pulls back (assuming it does).

A lot of this game depends on what your goals are. Do you want to buy/sell quickly to make the % returns and be a trader or do you want to invest and ride it out on certain projects? Can you stomach a one day decline of 25% on one of your investments? For me, I don't worry too much about the day to day gains/losses, unless it is truly something spectacular. For example, if one of the coins I am invested in moves 20+%, then I sell off some and move it into BTC or ETH. If it goes up say 7%, the fees associated with trading for BTC or something else isn't worth it to me.

As for buying/selling, I always buy on the dips and hold, increasing my positions on the coins I am long on. ETH is sub-300 today, to me that is a good time to buy, and if it goes from 290 to 275, I will buy more. You cannot panic sell unless there is some significant piece of news to support a decline. Lot of people say hold on humors and sell on news. I try to live by that model.

You tolerance for loss will be different than everyone elses, so no one can answer how best to invest in these offerings. They are very volatile, but if you feel that BTC, ETH or other projects are here to stay and will only continue to grow, then invest what you are comfortable with losing.

I would suggest you don't blindly buy coins based on a tweet or a blog post, but you research what the coin does, what problem is it trying to solve and how do they propose to do it, and make your decisions based on that. Start slow and dont worry about BTC being 5700 and going to 5400. Keep putting money into the coins you believe in and ride it out. (Unless you are trying to day trade, then seek someone other than me's opinion on how to do that).

Hopefully this info is helpful. I an a n00b too, but I know the stock market fairly well, and working in information security has helped me understand blockchain, smart contracts, etc and given me confidence in the things I choose to invest in.
300 is not a good price if you're just holding ETH, it is actually trending down vs. BTC. Your 300 is better off in BTC.

Ethereum (ETH) price, charts, market cap, and other metrics | CoinMarketCap

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Seems like the value in Ether is that it is the currency for all the ICOs. And all the real money is in ICOs. The top 5 of all time are up over 60,000% from their ICO which basically created millionaires in 3 years.

But the problem is since these aren't securities ANYTHING GOES. Including backroom deals where they sell the unsold tokens to people off market at a discount, trading on insider info, etc. etc.

I know I should just buy like $2k of BTC and never look at it but ICOs are where the risk and rewards are brehs :patrice:
I'm investing in a few ICOs. Electroneum, Atlant, GenesisVision...always looking to invest long term. Learning how to use that wallet makes shyt EASIER.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
To a newcomer it's really confusing

-A lot of different coins
-ICO
-Pre-ICO
-Different apps
-Different ways of paying

This is overwhelming I think to a lot of people, what's the best way to pick up all the basic information and to not feel lost in a forrest of options?

:patrice::lupe:
Word. Yo I'm learning how to use myetherwallet still. I sent money from coinbase to an ICO and i wasn't supposed to do that. I had to send information to the ICO support to see how to correct this shyt. Once you get the hang of it though, it's cake.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm investing in a few ICOs. Electroneum, Atlant, GenesisVision...always looking to invest long term. Learning how to use that wallet makes shyt EASIER.
What wallet are you using? MyEtherWallet?

I'm reading up on some ICOs right now. Not looking to go too crazy unless I really like the idea. Most of these shyts are straight up scams though lol.

NegaDuck

"F*ck Duckberg ho!"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eastside of Duckton
Dope thread!

ICOs are where the $ IF u can get in and take profit if/when it hits an exchange. These lending platforms are the new lick.

I'm just doing the ico tho and not mess with locking my money up in the lending.

Here is a link to one I'm participating in. All this shyt is a gamble and no guarantee to be profitable so play at your own risk.

https://goldreward.io/join/r0608

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
What wallet are you using? MyEtherWallet?

I'm reading up on some ICOs right now. Not looking to go too crazy unless I really like the idea. Most of these shyts are straight up scams though lol.
Yes I'm using myetherwallet. I agree with the scam. People are complaining about not getting their tokens

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud

chkmeout

marshawn lynch handshake
Daps