AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I’m not gonna shyt on her for making a $100 Million dollar budgeted movie starring a young black girl. I’m rooting for her.

I just want to know what her caveat was for passing on Panther. At the very beginning of the directing and casting rumors almost two years ago some of us were theorizing that maybe she wanted to go the Afro-Futuristic route and Feige was like :camby:

But now having seen that’s EXACTLY what Coogler did, that clearly wasn’t the case
I'm rooting for her to just being honest about the trailers I've seen so far.
I agree it is mysterious. I believe they gave her the choice of this or Captain Marvel and she chose this and then negotiations broke down. She thanked Marvel but said they couldn't get on the same page. So Marvel was very high on her to give her her choice in movies, it seems something about doing it she didn't like.
Maybe she wanted to do a movie about a Black female lead. Neither BP or Capt. Marvel can offer that.

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
It still obviously wasn't the case, since Coogler got signed like immediately after she passed on it, lol. If anything, maybe...just maybe Marvel had a bit more faith in Coogler than Ava. I'd figure since how unanimous they seemed towards wanting him after seeing Creed (many have stated as such in interviews as of recently) that maybe the figured he'd be better for handling the action, whilst still handling the drama just as well due to how that movie was handled.

I think it had something to do with her friendship with Coogler, I think she probably knew Coogler would have done the movie justice, so she passed.

Jards

All Star
Daps
Reading all of these glowing reviews and seeing the critics giving Marvel props for allowing Coogler to add a dimension of uniqueness and authenticity to the story has me wondering why Ava Duvernay passed on it initially and what her pitch to the studio was.
After Creed I think Coogler had more leverage to do what he wanted. As he should have as Creed is a brilliant film. I'm happy it was Coogler that ended up doing BP.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think it had something to do with her friendship with Coogler, I think she probably knew Coogler would have done the movie justice, so she passed.

No she outright said her and Feige had creative differences. I think Coogler was the safer choice in where it is OKAY to make it about black excellence without outright exposing the racism....they want the movie to be accessible for white moviegoers too. Coogler probably had the racism down to a minimum or thinly implied whereas Ava would of been on some Malcolm X, the white man is the devil, type shyt.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Chick I know went. I couldn't go either cause I have work :mjcry:
The shyt I heard about this movie from the ATL screening :wow:

After Creed I think Coogler had more leverage to do what he wanted. As he should have as Creed is a brilliant film. I'm happy it was Coogler that ended up doing BP.

No she outright said her and Feige had creative differences. I think Coogler was the safer choice in where it is OKAY to make it about black excellence without outright exposing the racism....they want the movie to be accessible for white moviegoers too. Coogler probably had the racism down to a minimum or thinly implied whereas Ava would of been on some Malcolm X, the white man is the devil, type shyt.

Ava would have had T'Challa wanting to conquer America :wow:

But yea they say Coogler's movie dropped gems without seeming heavy handed at all.

Most white critics were like damn they make valid points :ehh:

Last edited:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

giphy.gif

That black on black violence kept to a minimum:wow:

Jards

All Star
Daps
I doubt it - she's doing a Wrinkle in Time where the lead is a mixed race girl who's mother is Black and Father is White. Safer than an all black family unit leading the film.

I do hope she does great on this though because Hollywood isn't giving black women directors opportunities and would be shyt if this gives this them an excuse to keep pushing their narrative.