hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
He's at a star wars premiere and is obviously giving the cameras something to snap, do o got to spell everything out for you: rudy:
Bu bu but he's not a skywalker :martin:

:stopitslime:

Why Was John Boyega Wearing One Glove at the 'Star Wars' Premiere? We Have the Answer!

Actually, Boyega confirmed to ET that the glove is in fact a reference to Luke Skywalker, who famously had his hand chopped off by (*35-year-old spoilers ahead*) his father Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back. In Return of the Jedi, Skywalker wears a similar black glove over his prosthetic robotic hand.

Have no idea what you're talking about and defend it vehemently, brehs.

Fred.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Tony and T'Challa stay going at it.

Zu13XgW.jpg

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Conceptualizing the Black Panther

Here’s all the blogging from Ta-Nehisi and others related to his “Black Panther” Marvel series set to be published in April 2016.

Ta-Nehisi Coates12:25 PM / December 16, 2015

Wakanda and the Black Imagination
8987afb53.jpg

Alex Ross

It’s obviously not the case, but T’Challa—the Black Panther and mythical ruler of Wakanda—has always struck as the product of the black nationalist dream, a walking revocation of white supremacist myth. T’Challa isn’t just a superhero in the physical sense, he is one of the smartest people in the world, ruling the most advanced civilization on the planet. Wakanda’s status as ever-independent seems to eerily parallel Ethiopia’s history as well as its place in the broader black imagination. Maybe it’s only me, but I can’t read Jason Aaron’s superb “See Wakanda And Die” and not think of Adowa.

Comic book creators, like all story-tellers, get great mileage out of myth and history. But given the society we live in, some people’s myths are privileged over others. Some of that is changing, no doubt. In the more recent incarnations of T’Challa you can see Christopher Priest invoking the language of the Hausa or Reginald Hudlin employing the legacy of colonialism. These were shrewd artistic decisions, rooted in the fact that anyone writing Black Panther enjoys an immediate, if paradoxical, advantage: the black diaspora is terra incognita for much of the world. What does the broader world really know of Adowa? Of Nanny and Cudjoe? Of the Maji-Maji rebellion? Of Legba and Oshun? Of Shine? Of High John The Conqueror? T’Challa’s writers have always enjoyed access to a rich and under-utilized pool of allusion and invocation.

I would not have always considered this an advantage. When I first started writing, I was anxious that I would be pigeon-holed into the “race-beat.” Eventually I realized that the “race beat” was actually the “humanity beat,” and that questions about “racism” are really questions about the exercise of power. Perhaps more importantly I realized that “race” was an essential thread of American society, and questions about race were questions about the very nature of the Western world. I wasn’t pigeon-holed, I’d fallen into a gold-mine. America is the most powerful country in the world. You simply can’t understand how it got that way without understanding “race.”

And beneath that political conversation about “race,” swirling around it, sometimes directly related, and sometimes tangentially related, are the incredible myths and world-views of black people and the black diaspora at large.To the extent that this society has not been able to engage with those myths, with that world-view, it has not only lied to itself, but it has also robbed itself of some beautiful art. Racism isn’t just morally wrong, it makes for poor story-telling.

Incidentally, so does didacticism. T’Challa won’t be yelling, “Hands Up! Don’t Shoot!” There will be no policy papers on the slave trade, nor any overly-earnest, sepia-tinged “Black History Month” style of story-telling. The culture and politics can’t be on top; they have to baked in. So yeah, you might see some Walter Rodney in the royal library, or a sample from Robert Hayden. Or you might get a variant cover that pulls from our present moment. But there’s no need to over do it. The facts are in: T’Challa is black. This is not a declaration. It’s an opportunity.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
The glove is obviously a nod to the siths?
Why? Because they are on American tv/Cinema and look African? That's corny. There are a slew of SA, nigerian/British undiscovered actresses that have a natural look but are actually sexy

We can do better

Because they are good actresses that look the part. They fit the bill breh.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I wanna have faith in Marvel but I don't think they brave enough to have a majority black cast.

If it's not a majority black cast, then it's not a black panther movie.

T'Challa's supporting cast is strongly majority black, especially his inner circle. Anything else, and marvel is bullshytting.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Because they are good actresses that look the part. They fit the bill breh.
Yeah ok but lypita's name is always being brought up over everything africancentric when we should want to see 100 others we never heard of getting shine. The way whitey tried to make out lypita with her Bobby Brown hairdo was the quintessential idea of ebony beauty was suspect. Especially when her claim to fame was playing a slave.

You can have unrelaxed hair, not look androgynous and rock mahogany skin being africancentric and natural shouldn't always mean alek wek, like I said we can do better

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Yeah ok but lypita's name is always being brought up over everything africancentric when we should want to see 100 others we never heard of getting shine. The way whitey tried to make out lypita with her Bobby Brown hairdo was the quintessential idea of ebony beauty was suspect. Especially when her claim to fame was playing a slave.

You can have unrelaxed hair, not look androgynous and rock mahogany skin being africancentric and natural shouldn't always mean alek wek, like I said we can do better

Who would you pick?

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Who would you pick?
Unfortunately there aren't many real black actresses out there so it would have to be someone undiscovered like Genevieve nnaji,Rita Uchenna Nkem Dominic Waturuocha, Stephanie linus or oge okoye :ld:

Last edited: