Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Then how come Shuri isn't being humbled?

Same reason why Shuri was still beloved by the Dora Milaje and other Wakandan citizens even though most of the terrible shyt that went down happened on her watch.

He is definitly going with the angle that he needs help that he can't do it alone but like I said before this is a comic book and he is a super hero that is what they do lol, but as far as black people we do need to come together more and work as a collective mind more often :ohhh:

Other comics have explored heroes needing to learn to work with others to get done. Hell, they've even done that in Black Panther comics before. The problem with Coates shyt is T'Challa is made to look clueless and damn near helpless without anyone else. He's ALWAYS going to someone else for answers or help while he looks damn near incompetent.

I dunno, maybe that is something explained later. Maybe it will be his decision ultimately. I'm just guessing out here based on shyt he has said in interviews. :yeshrug:

Coates has proven himself to be full of shyt.

He claims that he thinks a character that isn't "Perfect" is far more entertaining than a character that struggles and has flaws. Yet his favorite character (Storm) hasn't been shown to have a single flaw. Coates has changed parts of T'Challa's history to make him seem worse, but he's also changed parts of Storm's past to make her look better. Then in the main title he constantly has T'Challa giving "I ain shyt" speeches and fawning over Storm.

Also wasn't a supposed big part of Coates first arc supposed to be about T'Challa regaining his confidence? Then why is he still moping and giving "I aint shyt" speeches and talking about how much better Storm and Shuri are than him?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Mic-Nificent what you mean speak on it bro.:ohhh::lolbron:

Coates has shown he can writes flawed heroic characters when he wants. His portrayal of the Dora Milaje has rightfully gotten lots of acclaim from fans and critics. They're set up as sympathetic from the jump by one of them being sentenced to death for killing a serial rapist, they shown as being brave for rebelling against authority, they're humanized by portraying their relationship with one another and empathy for others. They're also made to look bad ass by giving them high tech armor and they've won just about every fight they've had decisively.

The same applies to Shuri...Coates gave her a power boost, created an entirely new role for her, made her older than T'Challa so she could be wiser, dedicated significant story time to her development as a character, and again, she's never looked close to bad in any fights.

When it comes to T'Challa Coates hasn't developed his character at all. Continually moping around and retconning a characters desires/motivations is not development. T'Challa is used primarily for exposition to tell Coates story. THAT's why he's always going to others for answers regurgitating plot points to others. Even as it relates to the relationships between characters all T'Challa does is ask other people why he sucks so much. We've still yet to be given a reason to sympathize or root for T'Challa beyond him being the lead in the book and the new villains being evil. T'Challa still comes across as incompetent, ineffective, and unsure of himself....We're over a year into the series and this shyt is still an issue.

Coates has admitted he was never a fan of Black Panther before. When given the chance to talk about previous runs he gives a surface level compliment then begins to trash the previous runs talking about what he hated and wanted to change. He wasn't even familiar with the concept of Afro Futurism before taking on the book, he's admitted that most of those elements of the story are put there by Stelfreeze.

The way Coates handles characters that he likes vs Characters he's indifferent to or dislikes is night and fukking day.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Coates has shown he can writes flawed heroic characters when he wants. His portrayal of the Dora Milaje has rightfully gotten lots of acclaim from fans and critics. They're set up as sympathetic from the jump by one of them being sentenced to death for killing a serial rapist, they shown as being brave for rebelling against authority, they're humanized by portraying their relationship with one another and empathy for others. They're also made to look bad ass by giving them high tech armor and they've won just about every fight they've had decisively.

The same applies to Shuri...Coates gave her a power boost, created an entirely new role for her, made her older than T'Challa so she could be wiser, dedicated significant story time to her development as a character, and again, she's never looked close to bad in any fights.

When it comes to T'Challa Coates hasn't developed his character at all. Continually moping around and retconning a characters desires/motivations is not development. T'Challa is used primarily for exposition to tell Coates story. THAT's why he's always going to others for answers regurgitating plot points to others. Even as it relates to the relationships between characters all T'Challa does is ask other people why he sucks so much. We've still yet to be given a reason to sympathize or root for T'Challa beyond him being the lead in the book and the new villains being evil. T'Challa still comes across as incompetent, ineffective, and unsure of himself....We're over a year into the series and this shyt is still an issue.

Coates has admitted he was never a fan of Black Panther before. When given the chance to talk about previous runs he gives a surface level compliment then begins to trash the previous runs talking about what he hated and wanted to change. He wasn't even familiar with the concept of Afro Futurism before taking on the book, he's admitted that most of those elements of the story are put there by Stelfreeze.

The way Coates handles characters that he likes vs Characters he's indifferent to or dislikes is night and fukking day.
fukk that fakkit.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why do't yall start a petition to get his ass removed as the writer:yeshrug:

When's the last time you've seen an online petition work? :stopitslime:

Also it's not like Marvel hasn't kept shytty comics going in the past either because it sells well or because someone at Marvel just doesn't want to give up on Marvel.

Coates series started off with really strong sells so he's going to get a decent run. Thankfully more and more people are starting to catch on to his bullshyt and he's been losing readers and the reviews for his series are getting worse. Once he stopped leaning so heavily on the Dora Milaje the flaws in his writing started to stand out more clearly to some.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
When's the last time you've seen an online petition work? :stopitslime:

Also it's not like Marvel hasn't kept shytty comics going in the past either because it sells well or because someone at Marvel just doesn't want to give up on Marvel.

Coates series started off with really strong sells so he's going to get a decent run. Thankfully more and more people are starting to catch on to his bullshyt and he's been losing readers and the reviews for his series are getting worse. Once he stopped leaning so heavily on the Dora Milaje the flaws in his writing started to stand out more clearly to some.
Hey i was just tryna make a suggestion lol

But forreal tho he tryna cut T'challa's nuts off?:lupe:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hey i was just tryna make a suggestion lol

But forreal tho he tryna cut T'challa's nuts off?:lupe:

In the main series he pretty much has....That entire first "Season" of Coates book is just him taking all kinds of L's and being made to look weaker than he has since the Don McGregor Panther stories. T'Challa just constantly gets outsmarted and loses till he can rescue his sister, then SHE fixes everything by doing some shyt he could have done himself but never even bothered trying.

People are giving also Coates a pass on shyt they'd never give other writers a pass on. I remember Hudlin got a lot of shyt for occasionally putting a reference to an American Hip hop song in his comics. Coates does that shyt constantly and nobody says shyt about it.

*edit*

I'll say this though, today is where a lot of white fans of Coates book are going to flip on him. Many of those fans LOVE Black dysfunction, but they have a low tolerance for race being addressed in comics (look at how some of them reacted to Black Panther & The Crew).

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
In the main series he pretty much has....That entire first "Season" of Coates book is just him taking all kinds of L's and being made to look weaker than he has since the Don McGregor Panther stories. T'Challa just constantly gets outsmarted and loses till he can rescue his sister, then SHE fixes everything by doing some shyt he could have done himself but never even bothered trying.

People are giving also Coates a pass on shyt they'd never give other writers a pass on. I remember Hudlin got a lot of shyt for occasionally putting a reference to an American Hip hop song in his comics. Coates does that shyt constantly and nobody says shyt about it.

*edit*

I'll say this though, today is where a lot of white fans of Coates book are going to flip on him. Many of those fans LOVE Black dysfunction, but they have a low tolerance for race being addressed in comics (look at how some of them reacted to Black Panther & The Crew).
can confirm. This issue held a bit of redemption.

parallax

Superstar
Daps

youve been kicking facts on coates run, which is why i dont get how people who claim to be fans of the character are ok with the complete butchering of tchalla, but are foaming at the mouth with hydracap

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
youve been kicking facts on coates run, which is why i dont get how people who claim to be fans of the character are ok with the complete butchering of tchalla, but are foaming at the mouth with hydracap

I think a lot of people loved the idea of Black Panther but never actually read any of the series in detail. Priest's run in particular wasn't collected until very recently.

I've been noticing that people are going back and reading stuff by Priest and Hudlin and not being please with where T'Challa is today. Coates book only works if you haven't read the previous runs. Coates makes it a point to highlight the stuff that will make T'Challa look bad, but he leaves out everything that will give stuff context and explain his actions and decisions.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This dude Coates really trying to make "Stand there and get hit" be T'Challa's signature move :dead:

I know some people that don't pay attention to the comics might think I'm being hyperbolic, but I'm not. T'Challa's go to move in Coates series is to stand there, get hit with a punch or energy blast repeatedly while falling to his knees, and then redirecting the energy back at his opponents.

It's like in wrestling when Ric Flair starts begging his opponent for mercy just so he can poke them in the eye. :snoop:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
This dude Coates really trying to make "Stand there and get hit" be T'Challa's signature move :dead:

I know some people that don't pay attention to the comics might think I'm being hyperbolic, but I'm not. T'Challa's go to move in Coates series is to stand there, get hit with a punch or energy blast repeatedly while falling to his knees, and then redirecting the energy back at his opponents.

It's like in wrestling when Ric Flair starts begging his opponent for mercy just so he can poke them in the eye. :snoop:
Again it's fukk coates.:pacspit: