Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Chadwick told Lupita she better lock this down b/c this T'Challa got all the baddies lined up :wow:

@Ziggiy where that blassic of yours with those chicks playin tennis :whew:
He gon let her know at the end of the movie like

But you belonged to Erik, couldn't belong to me
You had two kids by this outsider, it was wrong for me
But we gon' always be best of friends, haha
Mad love, boo, to the end, tada
full

Last edited:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:jbhmm:

Chad says Wakanda is a matriarchal society.

I'm assuming some of you anti-Coates cats are going to be angry at this, right?

Coates made Ayo and Aneko feminists, and he's the pretty much the only writer to imply a feminist or matriarchal bent to Wakanda in his run.

Did Coogler take influence from Caotes?

@Mic-Nificent , Let's run it back.

Not once have I ever said I had a problem with Wakanda being a somewhat matriarchal society, and I've repeatedly said I don't mind feminism being explored in Black Panther comics. My beef with Coates has ALWAYS been with how he portrays T'Challa as incompetent, ineffective, unsympathetic, and at times as a supporting character in his own book. None of those things are going to happen in the film.

And no Coates isn't the only writer to imply a matriarchal bent to Wakanda, that was actually Hudlin. The Deadliest of the Species arc is specifically about the strength of the women of Wakanda. Hudlin's run also solidified Bast as being primarily female.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Not once have I ever said I had a problem with Wakanda being a somewhat matriarchal society, and I've repeatedly said I don't mind feminism being explored in Black Panther comics. My beef with Coates has ALWAYS been with how he portrays T'Challa as incompetent, ineffective, unsympathetic, and at times as a supporting character in his own book. None of those things are going to happen in the film.

And no Coates isn't the only writer to imply a matriarchal bent to Wakanda, that was actually Hudlin. The Deadliest of the Species arc is specifically about the strength of the women of Wakanda. Hudlin's run also solidified Bast as being primarily female.

Hudlin wasn't really a feminist, though. Coates made it obvious from his interviews and previews he had a feminist methodology going into the series.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hudlin wasn't really a feminist, though. Coates made it obvious from his interviews and previews he had a feminist methodology going into the series.

We weren't discussing whether or not the writers are/were feminists or not (and I honestly don't care). You claimed that Coates was the only writer imply that Wakanda might have a matriarchal bent, and that's not accurate. Hudlin was the first writer to do that. Deadliest of the Species specifically centered Shuri, Storm, and Ramonda as the central figures in the story and showed them running and defending Wakanda. Even during parts of the Priest run there are a few elements here and there, especially when looking a the conversations QDJ has with her grandmother and "Big Mama".

You seem to be conflating my issues with Coates with other peoples disdain for "SJW comics". I don't care that Coates is a feminist, nor am I the type of person that uses "feminist" as a pejorative or complains about feminism.

Like I said my beef with Coates boils down to his depiction of T'Challa. I think his take on T'Challa is fukking horrible.

I WANTED to see the Dora Milaje become more fleshed out, I wanted to see more of Ramonda, I wanted to see more of Shuri, I even wanted to see more stuff between T'Challa and Storm....What I didn't want was to see those characters built up at the expense of T'Challa. A good comic book writer can develop and flesh out a supporting cast without making the main character uninteresting, unsympathetic, and incompetent.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
000260899hr.jpg

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The last time we saw T’Challa, he was giving sanctuary to a fugitive Captain America. What is Black Panther’s mindset at the start of this film?

CHADWICK BOSEMAN:
It’s shortly after Civil War has ended so he’s still in mourning. There’s a guilt in terms of taking the throne. There’s a feeling that he wishes that his father would have been alive to see it, if he would have given up the throne for being too old. That’s the ideal way. His mindset is one of guilt and unsureness because he doesn’t have [his father] there.

What are the major challenges? What’s the biggest crisis weighing on him?
Generally, there is unrest because there’s no leader on the throne. We’re dealing with a similar thing right now in this country. Just because a person was elected doesn’t mean everybody agrees with the things he’s going to do. Having to make the first decisions … what do you do first? What do you choose to do that’s going to get everybody on your side? It’s a political drama essentially.

So it’s a divided nation. But I’m guessing he’s not Donald Trump, though.
[Laughs] Yeah, he’s not Donald Trump! It’s funny watching the campaign because we were working on this before the campaign started, in terms of the prep. Watching how that ended, watching Obama leave office, and watching Trump take over … There are definite parallels there that you pull from.

Is Erik Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan) T’Challa’s primary rival, the other side of this divided nation, seeking to take his throne?
I can’t really say. Klaue is the real villain. I can say that I identify with Killmonger’s character. It’s going to be a fun character. He definitely has a different point of view. They are polar opposites. A superhero movie is only as great as its villains. I think they both provide a piece of that.

What specific danger does Klaue pose to Black Panther’s people?
You have Wakanda, which is an isolationist society, Klaue has entered that space and knows more about it than anybody else. Because of that, he is a threat. Not to mention that he’s accessed this gift that could also be a curse to the rest of the world.

You’re talking about Vibranium, and his plans to weaponize it.
A lot of times when we talk about Vibranium we talk about it as if it’s, like, nuclear. It’s not a nuclear weapon but with the flexibly and versatility of it, it can do a lot of things. The fact that he has accessed that and has the mind to use it for evil is the key thing. Most people don’t know what it is and what can be done with it.

Does Klaue have a specific goal or mission? Or does T’Challa just have to track him down because he’s a rogue terrorist?
Yeah, that would be a good way to put it. He is the Osama bin Laden of the movie. He’s out there, and you have to go find him because he’s coming back at some point in time.

You talked about T’Challa’s grief over his father, but what’s his relationship with his mother, Ramonda [played by Angela Bassett]?
She is one of the advisors that he would look to. He has to look to her for some of the answers of what his father might want or might do. She may not be exactly right all the time, but she definitely has insights. The one thing I will say about all the female characters in this movie is that they are very strong. It’s a very matriarchal society. She is the queen mother. And she’s that for not just him, but for everybody. She’s has her hands in everything – even his love life.

What is his love life like?
[Laughs] There’s no engagement that’s happening! He’s very James Bond-like. There’s always a possibility that there could be some other woman. I’m not going to tell you that there’s a triangle. You want me to say something about Monica Lynne. [She’s an American character originating in the comics in 1970 and had a turbulent, passionate relationship with T’Challa.]

You mentioned James Bond. How would you say Black Panther is like 007?
In the James Bond movies, there is always the girl but then in the next movie there is another girl. [Laughs] Lupita and I are always joking about that. [Lupita Nyong’o costars as Nakia, a covert agent for Wakanda and a former lover of T’Challa’s.] She will say, “There better not be another woman in the next one!” I’m like, “Hey, you better lock it down!”
Ayy Monica name drop. Chad knows his shyt

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
:jbhmm:

Chad says Wakanda is a matriarchal society.

I'm assuming some of you anti-Coates cats are going to be angry at this, right?

Coates made Ayo and Aneko feminists, and he's the pretty much the only writer to imply a feminist or matriarchal bent to Wakanda in his run.

Did Coogler take influence from Caotes?

@Mic-Nificent , Let's run it back.

Naw its just that Women are given a proper amount of respect and influence in Wakanda. It's ALWAYS been that way

His closest advisor is Ramonda (Woman)

His head of Tech design Shuri (woman)

His most loyal and fiercesome guards are the DM (Women)

Women have always held a certain amount of sway within Wakanda m. No need to freak out about that quote

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
We weren't discussing whether or not the writers are/were feminists or not (and I honestly don't care). You claimed that Coates was the only writer imply that Wakanda might have a matriarchal bent, and that's not accurate. Hudlin was the first writer to do that. Deadliest of the Species specifically centered Shuri, Storm, and Ramonda as the central figures in the story and showed them running and defending Wakanda. Even during parts of the Priest run there are a few elements here and there, especially when looking a the conversations QDJ has with her grandmother and "Big Mama".

You seem to be conflating my issues with Coates with other peoples disdain for "SJW comics". I don't care that Coates is a feminist, nor am I the type of person that uses "feminist" as a pejorative or complains about feminism.

Like I said my beef with Coates boils down to his depiction of T'Challa. I think his take on T'Challa is fukking horrible.

I WANTED to see the Dora Milaje become more fleshed out, I wanted to see more of Ramonda, I wanted to see more of Shuri, I even wanted to see more stuff between T'Challa and Storm....What I didn't want was to see those characters built up at the expense of T'Challa. A good comic book writer can develop and flesh out a supporting cast without making the main character uninteresting, unsympathetic, and incompetent

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/ziggiy1/media/8FB2EBB4-06B3-424E-AB75-F1D860F0C2F0_zpsc9rdf2hi.gif.html] [/URL]

doublex

Pro
Daps
What is his love life like?
[Laughs] There’s no engagement that’s happening! He’s very James Bond-like. There’s always a possibility that there could be some other woman. I’m not going to tell you that there’s a triangle. You want me to say something about Monica Lynne. [She’s an American character originating in the comics in 1970 and had a turbulent, passionate relationship with T’Challa.]

You mentioned James Bond. How would you say Black Panther is like 007?
In the James Bond movies, there is always the girl but then in the next movie there is another girl. [Laughs] Lupita and I are always joking about that. [Lupita Nyong’o costars as Nakia, a covert agent for Wakanda and a former lover of T’Challa’s.] She will say, “There better not be another woman in the next one!” I’m like, “Hey, you better lock it down!”

This is interesting: T'Challa may get a new girl in the sequel (Nakia already being his ex in the first installment) and THAT'S when she goes crazy. :ohhh:

Is it February yet? :feedme:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
This is interesting: T'Challa may get a new girl in the sequel (Nakia already being his ex in the first installment) and THAT'S when she goes crazy. :ohhh:

Is it February yet? :feedme:
Killmonger gets locked up or dies. She tries to free him or resurrect him :wow:

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
000260983hr-s.jpg

"We don’t call him Man-Ape," producer Nate Moore confirms in an interview. with EW. "We do call him M’Baku. Having a black character dress up as an ape, I think there’s a lot of racial implications that don’t sit well, if done wrong. But the idea that they worship the gorilla gods is interesting because it’s a movie about the Black Panther who, himself, is a sort of deity in his own right."

As you can see in the new character image below, there are nods to M'Baku's history and the villain's main grievance here will revolve around T'Challa being on the throne and reaching out to the world when he believes Wakanda should remain hidden. "In M’Baku’s worldview, T’Chaka made a huge mistake going to the U.N.," Moore adds. "‘We should never engage with the outside world. That’s a terrible mistake. And if his son is anything like his father, I don’t support him being on the throne.'"

"Politically, he just has different ideology," says Moore of the villain who wants to be king. "Man-Ape is a problematic character for a lot of reasons, but the idea behind Man-Ape we thought was really fascinating. … It’s a line I think we’re walking, and hopefully walking successfully." What do you guys think of this? As always, be sure to share your thoughts in the comments section down below.