Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
Interesting. :ehh:

Didn't know he left the throne voluntarily in EMH, something he hasn't done in the comics to date, to my knowledge. I'll check out that episode soon.

He still King, but the council handling shyt while he out. But he quit the avengers though during the Skrull arc and returned to Wakanda to prepare for war. After that he became part time.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
T'Challa. The man who went toe to toe with Gawd Doom and LITERALLY saved the entire Marvel Universe is "unfit to be King"

fukk Coates real talk.

Tanahesi Coates makes Jonathon Hickman look like Malcolm X
Is it possible Coates "vision" is just ahead of its time :patrice:

Is it possible that his deconstruction of T'Challa will be more appreciated in time and that we just missed the nuance of it @Realdealholy :jbhmm:

This is not a dumb dude writing this. Its probably a better re-read in time. :yeshrug:

teacher

All Star
Daps
Interesting. :ehh:

Didn't know he left the throne voluntarily in EMH, something he hasn't done in the comics to date, to my knowledge. I'll check out that episode soon.

Didn't he do that through pretty much the entire Priest run? Except it wasn't a council it was one man Everett Ross :scust:or W'kabi :obama:

on a totally unrelated note why doesn't anybody else use the Vibranium Tim's that Priest introduced? Joints were flames :banderas:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Is it possible Coates "vision" is just ahead of its time :patrice:

I think it's as simple as Coates' vision heavily contradicts the vision a lot of longtime fans have of BP.

Most longtime fans of BP lean a lot on the Priest and/or Hudlin versions of BP. That's their BP. King first, superhero second.

Coates, however, is leaning a lot on Hickman's BP, with a bit of McGregors. Hickman's BP is more or less superhero first, king second. The greater good superseded the immediate needs of Wakanda.

What we're basically seeing is Coates explaining why, in his opinion, T'Challa prefers to be a superhero rather than a king and why he may not like being king as well. The latter train of thought in particular goes heavily against Priest and Hudlin's visions, but Hickman's run directly or indirectly left that door open for a future writer to go into, if he or she wished to do so. Coates did just that.

Where Coates fukked up is that he often overplayed his hand, bringing in unnecessary stuff into it (the human trafficking camps, that despot meeting, and so on). Add that to his vision heavily conflicting with two of the most popular versions of BP and you get the backlash we're currently getting.

Is it possible that his deconstruction of T'Challa will be more appreciated in time and that we just missed the nuance of it @Realdealholy :jbhmm:

This is not a dumb dude writing this. Its probably a better re-read in time. :yeshrug:

It all depends on how it ends.

I happen to agree with a lot of longtime fans who have issues with this run. I don't dislike it as much as they do, but a lot of their points are def valid, no doubt.

That being said, I'll defend this run on one particular angle: we've seen similar criticism before, via the Hudlin run. If you think the Coates backlash was bad, the Hudlin backlash was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse.

You had a coalition of many Priest/McGregor BP fans, casual MU fans, X-fans, and a lot of comic fans in general straight shytting on the Hudlin run over and over and over again for years, calling the run and Hudlin himself all types of names.

Talking about the Hudlin run back then in online forums was destined to end up in a big ass argument with people going at it each other and the convo eventually turning racial real quick.

Debates on the hudlin run got forums temporarily shut down, that's how heavy the debates and infighting was.

Hell, even I had to debate heavily a lot of coli brehs in this site that were going in on Hudlin.

Same stuff you're hearing today has been uttered before when people attacked Hudlin's run:

"Hudlin can't write T'Challa!"

"Hudlin is ruining Wakanda!"

"His BP sucks, its not Priest!!"

"fukk Shuri!!"

"This is not the real T'Challa!!"

"He's ruining Storm!!!!"

"Hudlin is racist!!!"

"Who cares about the high sales, Hudlin's writing is trash!!!"

Sounds familiar?:manny:

Long story short, Hudlin's writing improved as time went on and he ended his run pretty well. Fast forward to today, his run is looked at in a much more positive light and even a lot of his haters--who may still not like his execution--look back and acknowledge what he was trying to do.

Coates run will for sure continue for another twelve issues and he wants to write a total of 60 issues, so barring a huge drop in sales, we're stuck with him. The important thing for Coates is for his writing to improve, for T'Challa's portrayal under his pen to improve, and ultimately him sticking the landing in the long run. He does that and he'll be fine when it's all said and done.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Didn't he do that through pretty much the entire Priest run? Except it wasn't a council it was one man Everett Ross :scust:or W'kabi :obama:

on a totally unrelated note why doesn't anybody else use the Vibranium Tim's that Priest introduced? Joints were flames :banderas:

That happened but it was real temporary though, with the intent of T'Challa getting the spot back anyway. It was all part of T'Challa's plan if I remember correctly, not an attempt at a long-term solution.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
T'Challa. The man who went toe to toe with Gawd Doom and LITERALLY saved the entire Marvel Universe is "unfit to be King"

fukk Coates real talk.

This book is an interesting case of crabs in a barrel mentality brought to comics. One character finally makes it big but instead of elevating him (Coates has said this isn't a story you tell to elevate a character) or using his platform to bring positivity to the rest, you drag him down with wishy-washy negligence and plot devices to allow other characters to climb over him. Which is cute if you're more a Shuri fan or a LGBT soldier lol, but otherwise you dont need to be a long term BP fan to see the agenda.

teacher

All Star
Daps
I think it's as simple as Coates' vision heavily contradicts the vision a lot of longtime fans have of BP.

Most longtime fans of BP lean a lot on the Priest and/or Hudlin versions of BP. That's their BP. King first, superhero second.

Coates, however, is leaning a lot on Hickman's BP, with a bit of McGregors. Superhero first, king second. The greater good superseded the immediate needs of Wakanda.

What we're basically seeing is Coates explaining why, in his opinion, T'Challa prefers to be a superhero rather than a king and why he may not like being king as well. The latter train of thought in particular goes heavily against Priest and Hudlin's visions, but Hickman's run directly or indirectly left that door open for a future writer to go into, if he or she wished to do so. Coates did just that.

Where Coates fukked up is that he often overplayed his hand, bringing in unnecessary stuff into it (the human trafficking camps, that despot meeting, and so on). Add that to his vision heavily conflicting with two of the most popular versions of BP and you get the backlash we're currently getting.

You think? I still haven't read the Hickman stuff but BP WoW #2 gave me some insight on what was going on and I can see that, but I don't think McGregor's t'challa was hero first king second. The only non-wakandan him helping that I recall in panther's rage is Monica Lynne and family...he was a borderline simp but a king thru and thru...I'd say the Kirby run definitely had him super hero first king second....first issue had my man T'challa with a midget CaC just because he mentioned his father's name had me like :wtf:...I guess that's where Priest got the inspiration for Ross :yeshrug:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
You think? I still haven't read the Hickman stuff but BP WoW #2 gave me some insight on what was going on and I can see that, but I don't think McGregor's t'challa was hero first king second. The only non-wakandan him helping that I recall in panther's rage is Monica Lynne and family...he was a borderline simp but a king thru and thru...I'd say the Kirby run definitely had him super hero first king second....first issue had my man T'challa with a midget CaC just because he mentioned his father's name had me like :wtf:...I guess that's where Priest got the inspiration for Ross :yeshrug:

I should've clarified better. I meant to say that Hickman's T'Challa was, to me, superhero first, king second.

The McGregor vibe to me comes from T'Challa being kinda...moody in this run, if that makes sense?

While Priest and even Hudlin had T'Challa be quite machiavellian and having a poker face often in their runs, McGregor's BP seemed somewhat more willing to question himself openly than in the Priest and Hudlin runs, if I remember correctly.

That said, I haven't read all of the McGregor run and the bits I've read, I haven't read them in a loooooooooooong time, so if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me brehs:ehh:.

Kirby was def superhero first though, no doubt. The fukkery in that book:russ:.

EDIT: Concerning the BP WoW #2 stuff, I'd strongly recommend reading AvX #9 and New Avengers #12 by Hickman. WoW doesn't tell the whole story, only a biased perspective. And the banning of T'Challa was a whoooooole lot more impactful (not to mention much better done) in New Avengers. It wasn't just Shuri and the Doras stepping up to T'Challa, the Hatute Zeraze were there too, and they were talking mad shyt to T'Challa's face.:merchant:

Last edited:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps

fukk Coates real talk.

:ohhh:

:notithes:

I haven't started the new series yet but this is quite the heel turn

teacher

All Star
Daps
I should've clarified better. I meant to say that Hickman's T'Challa was, to me, superhero first, king second.

The McGregor vibe to me comes from T'Challa being kinda...moody in this run, if that makes sense?

While Priest and even Hudlin had T'Challa be quite machiavellian and having a poker face often in their runs, McGregor's BP seemed somewhat more willing to question himself openly than in the Priest and Hudlin runs, if I remember correctly.

That said, I haven't read all of the McGregor run and the bits I've read, I haven't read them in a loooooooooooong time, so if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me brehs:ehh:.

Kirby was def superhero first though, no doubt. The fukkery in that book:russ:.

EDIT: Concerning the BP WoW #2 stuff, I'd strongly recommend reading AvX #9 and New Avengers #12 by Hickman. WoW doesn't tell the whole story, only a biased perspective. And the banning of T'Challa was a whoooooole lot more impactful (not to mention much better done) in New Avengers. It wasn't just Shuri and the Doras stepping up to T'Challa, the Hatute Zeraze were there too, and they were talking mad shyt to T'Challa's face.:merchant:

Yea Mcgregor portrayed him as a dikkhead ruler to his inncer circle...but a simp for Monica and sympathetic to the commoners plight. I don't recall him questioning himself to much its just killmonger is a bad mofo :manny:after McGregor and priest it seems hudlin kind of nerfed him

New Avengers is on my list I have the issues just taking a break from older BP ATM to read other stuff...I guess AvX has a lot of BP in it as well? Damn at the whole country not fukking with BP :mjcry:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Yea Mcgregor portrayed him as a dikkhead ruler to his inncer circle...but a simp for Monica and sympathetic to the commoners plight. I don't recall him questioning himself to much its just killmonger is a bad mofo :manny:after McGregor and priest it seems hudlin kind of nerfed him

New Avengers is on my list I have the issues just taking a break from older BP ATM to read other stuff...I guess AvX has a lot of BP in it as well? Damn at the whole country not fukking with BP :mjcry:

BP was kinda there in AvX. Big stuff like the annullment of BP's marriage with Storm and Namor's attack on Wakanda are there.

But if you want to be caught up with Coates shyt, def read the Hickman run (New Avengers, Time Runs Out, and Secret Wars). That's the run Coates is leaning on the most and the most pertinent run to this story.