Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
:dead:

not the most encouraging reaction.

Sounds like another one of those glass half full/half empty type of issues? I wouldn't be able to read it til evening

There is a conversation that happens between T'Challa and a captive that I REALLY enjoyed and showed T'Challa's intelligence, determination, empathy,many insight into the minds of his people and of the insurgents...

And THEN there is a conversation between T'Challa and some shady Cacs that made me go :wtf: as it almost completely goes against T'Challa's character. The entire conversation left a bad taste in my mouth. It was like two different characters sharing the same name.

I'm going to say this right now. Either Coates is a genius and these 12 issues are going to be amongst the most celebrated arcs in Black Panther history, or this shyt is going to horrible. No in-between.

Coates is writing this like its the African Game Of Thrones. For every "win" T'Challa gets there's a devastating loss. I don't know if GOT: Wakanda Edition is the right direction for T'Challa, but we will see in the end

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Coates is writing this like its the African Game Of Thrones. For every "win" T'Challa gets there's a devastating loss. I don't know if GOT: Wakanda Edition is the right direction for T'Challa, but we will see in the end

Word, it's pretty much going this direction. Interesting choice to make.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Re-read the issue. My review in the spoilers.

Just read the issue. It had several positives, including a good start to the issue and the convo between T'Challa and the captive (a highlight, imho). I'm curious on what "pact" T'Challa and the captive have made between themselves.

Art by Sprouse was on point. Looks like there won't be issues on that front during Sprouse's tenure as the artist.

That said, I have echo the overall sentiment of others who posted already: T'Challa's meeting with those "leaders" was very unexpected, if not bizarre. I don't see T'Challa either associating himself with them or even meeting them at that level for this. That panel is going to be the topic of the month for many longtime fans, in a way the rape camps have been as well.

As for my opinions of the run so far...this has to be the strangest "Black Panther" run I've ever read. Seriously. I have read many BP runs and/or runs featuring BP. Some of them I disliked, but practically all of them fell within certain...."confines" for a lack of a better word...confines that made sense to me as a relatively longtime BP fan.

This current run essentially managed to use big aspects of continuity to place the BP book(s) into different confines altogether. This book is highly unpredictable, and not always in a good way. Someone in another forum wasn't joking when he said that though this book could be considered a "good story," it isn't a "good BP story." In fact, Coates is essentially attempting, issue by issue, to redefine what a "BP" story is, who T'Challa is, what Wakanda is and what it possibly represents.

If you are a longtime fan who is hoping to see even variations of the "old" T'Challa and/or, dare I say, the "old" Wakanda in this run, I strongly suggest that you jump ship. Drop the book or wait for the trade, so that you can read everything in one sitting rather than going through the month-to-month anguish. The T'Challa from previous runs is not coming back. Same with Wakanda. It's now evident that those days are gone.

This isn't to say that a longtime fan can't like this BP book. It has many positives. However, this T'Challa may have several positive elements to him, but he is NOT the T'Challa we are familiar with. Wakanda may still retain some of the elements we've all come to like, but its NOT the same either. Hoping that Coates will bring them back to their old glory is futile. It won't happen. There may be glory for T'Challa and Wakanda in this season's conclusion, but it won't be the type that many in this thread, CBR, or elsewhere may have been hoping for.

If Coates wanted his BP run to be the most talked about run in BP history, he's well on his way. A lot of praise from the mainstream, yet a lot controversial moments as far as many of the longtime fans are concerned. There will be no in-between with this book in terms of reception once this season is over.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I'm going to say this right now. Either Coates is a genius and these 12 issues are going to be amongst the most celebrated arcs in Black Panther history, or this shyt is going to horrible. No in-between.

Breh you are not playing. There will be no in-between at all with this book in terms of reception.

Def agree with the African GOT analogy. This is book is on some different shyt. Def not what I'm used to or expected as a long time BP fan.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Breh you are not playing. There will be no in-between at all with this book in terms of reception.

Def agree with the African GOT analogy. This is book is on some different shyt. Def not what I'm used to or expected as a long time BP fan.
This is very disheartening. I will buy this issue but I may have to drop it.

Also please tell me this "no one man " shyt isn't still going.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
This is very disheartening. I will buy this issue but I may have to drop it.

Also please tell me this "no one man " shyt isn't still going.

Nah, the "no one man" shyt wasn't a factor this time. It's something else.

This run is really hard to review, to me at least. On one hand, it's objectively not a bad story. Hell a lot of people would say that its good, if not great. A lot of people online are giving issue #5 mad props, in fact.

Thing is though, if you are a long time BP fan...its a very different experience. Very different. An experience many long time fans would probably not enjoy at the moment.

It really is some different shyt overall. And as @Ziggiy said, there will be no in-betweens with this story. Folks will either love it or not enjoy it.

This run will def be talked about for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnng time, no matter what happens.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Nah, the "no one man" shyt wasn't a factor this time. It's something else.

This run is really hard to review, to me at least. On one hand, it's objectively not a bad story. Hell a lot of people would say that its good, if not great. A lot of people online are giving issue #5 a lot props online, in fact.

Thing is though, if you are a long time BP fan...its a very different experience. Very different. An experience many long time fans would probably not enjoy at the moment.

It really is some different shyt overall. And as @Ziggiy said, there will be no in-betweens with this story. Folks will either love it or not enjoy it at.

This run will def be talked about for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnng time, no matter what happens.
If I have to endure one more ain't patriarchy sentiment or the king takes one more L I'll have to let this book go.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
So are y'all saying Black Panther hasn't been Black Excellence like he normally should be especially with conversations with white characters? I've been seeing you guys write how he seems to be getting punked alot this issue and a lot of questionable actions are being taken by him. Has me like:lupe::why::to:getting two pieced, humbled, taking losses throughout his current run yet white people are apparently praising this comic run has me like:jbhmm::patrice:not feeling this possible emasculation going on when we just saw the Live action version go head to head with two of the greatest soldiers in history :martin:

Last edited:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Coates really doesn't get BP or what fans like about BP

I'm so sick of Marvel getting non comic writers to write bp
This also has me worried with that"black feminist " chick writing currently I'm sorry I'm just uneasy with how a feminist has been defined and acts in 2016:wtb:Shenanigans going on out here:leostare: especially for Black men:mjpls:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
This also has me worried with that"black feminist " chick writing currently I'm sorry I'm just uneasy with how a feminist has been defined and acts in 2016:wtb:Shenanigans going on out here:leostare: especially for Black men:mjpls:
Well she'll probably be praising her white daddy in the book. Or just straight hating on men.:mjpls: