Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Been thinking about the language situation for the film. How do you think Coogler and co. will approach it?

In theory, they could have the Wakandans speaking in their native tongue most, if not all of the time, unless a foreigner is around. We've seen something like that when T'Chaka and T'Challa were speaking to each other in their native tongue (Xhosa in the MCU) until Black Widow shows up. We've also seen other languages being spoken in the MCU as well (Zemo speaking German in Civil War, Batroc speaking French in Winter Soldier, and so on).

I doubt they will go with the Wakandans speaking a foreign language throughout most of the film, especially being that its a Disney/Marvel film.

If I had to guess, I'd say they'll have the Wakandans speak "English" but with an accent, requiring the audience to have a bit of a suspension of disbelief. When a foreigner is around, they'll be speaking in their native tongue, but in small doses.

What say you brehs? :jbhmm:

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Been thinking about the language situation for the film. How do you think Coogler and co. will approach it?

In theory, they could have the Wakandans speaking in their native tongue most, if not all of the time, unless a foreigner is around. We've seen something like that when T'Chaka and T'Challa were speaking to each other in their native tongue (Xhosa in the MCU) until Black Widow shows up. We've also seen other languages being spoken in the MCU as well (Zemo speaking German in Civil War, Batroc speaking French in Winter Soldier, and so on).

I doubt they will go with the Wakandans speaking a foreign language throughout most of the film, especially being that its a Disney/Marvel film.

If I had to guess, I'd say they'll have the Wakandans speak "English" but with an accent, requiring the audience to have a bit of a suspension of disbelief. When a foreigner is around, they'll be speaking in their native tongue, but in small doses.

That sounds about right.

teacher

All Star
Daps

they speak English in the comic and I don't want them straying to far from the source material :troll:

doublex

Pro
Daps

This is the way to go. And if they ever have them speak a little "Wakandan", I hope they keep it consistent and use Xhosa.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
This is the way to go. And if they ever have them speak a little "Wakandan", I hope they keep it consistent and use Xhosa.

Real shyt, if they ever had a version in which the Wakandans speak their native tongue (xhosa in this case) throughout the film, i'd watch that shyt, subtitles and all. That would be dope as hell.

I guess I'm a minority opinion on this one.

doublex

Pro
Daps
Real shyt, if they ever had a version in which the Wakandans speak their native tongue (xhosa in this case) throughout the film, i'd watch that shyt, subtitles and all. That would be dope as hell.

I guess I'm a minority opinion on this one.

I would too, but I don't think that would be best for the success of the film.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
some variants are incentive version which will be priced higher....I've paid up to $30 for an incentive variant(and it was so worth it, best BP #1 cover IMO) so far this BP run also BP isn't the only comic I'm collecting...A couple of those at once do add up... :manny:

True, tho most of the variants are the same price. It's just those few real rare ones that cost that guap up front. Of course, they all go up once those first prints run out tho.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I would too, but I don't think that would be best for the success of the film.

It wouldn't be wise to do that, I agree. Like I said, I'm a minority opinion on that issue, and def not a notable one either.

Speaking of accents...is MBJ going to have one? Killmonger technically doesn't need one, being that he was raised in the U.S. for a significant portion of his life.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
A-Force variant, coming out 8/10.

CpGr0_aXEAAc44m.jpg

Last edited:

doublex

Pro
Daps
It wouldn't be wise to do that, I agree. Like I said, I'm a minority opinion on that issue, and def not a notable one either.

Speaking of accents...is MBJ going to have one? Killmonger technically doesn't need one, being that he was raised in the U.S. for a significant portion of his life.

I hope not. That was one of the reasons I was relieved to hear he was playing Killmonger instead of M'Baku.

We know for a fact that Boseman, Nyong'o, and Gurira can do the accent. Can't say the same for Jordan, and I do not want anybody messing up like Will Smith in Concussion. It ruined that movie for me.