Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Supposed to be a big Black Panther announcement today at Comic Con. Rumored to be another Black Panther comic

I predict it will be one of the following:

-BP team book.

-"The Crew" remix.

-Midnight Angels book

-Shuri book

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I predict it will be one of the following:

-BP team book.

-"The Crew" remix.

-Midnight Angels book

-Shuri book

Hopefully it's not a Midnight Angels book. I'm already growing a tad tired of the "men are evil rapists" subplot they've got going on in the main title right now. I'm all for black female empowerment, but I need more from them than vengeful hell dykes bent on destroying the Y chromosome....

The Crew remix would be interesting if they made Storm a permanent fixture. How would BP and Ororoe handle being around each other consistently and not separated by continents?

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Hopefully it's not a Midnight Angels book. I'm already growing a tad tired of the "men are evil rapists" subplot they've got going on in the main title right now. I'm all for black female empowerment, but I need more from them than vengeful hell dykes bent on destroying the Y chromosome....

The MA will probably be the heroes of the 12-issue arc. They're on a roll right now.

The Crew remix would be interesting if they made Storm a permanent fixture. How would BP and Ororoe handle being around each other consistently and not separated by continents?

She might as well be a permanent fixture, it's not as if she's done anything of note in the X-Books, despite her supposed leadership position amongst mutants.

I don't think she will be a permanent fixture, but you never know...:manny:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
what did he say?:jbhmm:

Here it is below...

Okay, I Saw It (No Spoilers) « Welcome To Lamercie Park

Okay, I saw it. Snapshot:

Not my Panther. An interesting take and nice performance by Boseman, but missing the fundamental element of the Black Panther (and upcoming PriestStroke): that he’s smarter than everybody else in the room. Black Panther’s super-power is his intellect, and this guy spent most of the movie pursuing an errant assumption.

T’Chaka was wasted. Could have gotten so very much more mileage out of that character.

Not my Ross. Martin Freeman is hilarious, this character was not. Ross was not brought on-stage properly and is ultimately forgettable. Also, I had no idea they’d have “Thunderbolt” Ross (whom I enjoyed) in the film, thus confusing the characters. I suppose it’d be fine if my Ross was somehow related, but the thought had never crossed my mind.

Priest then continued with....

T’Chaka was not fat. Or short. Wakandan security forces are *elite* and could take on the AV’s themselves. The Dora Milaje would both need to be dead–twice–before they allowed any harm to come to their king. This was a gross violation of the TChaka character (and by extension, BP). T’Chaka was incredibly wily and would *never* have been caught off-guard like this guy. Assassinating the Wakandan king would be considered an act of war–not even mentioned. An old fat guy got whacked. On to the next plot point.

T’Challa should have–would have been compelled–to threaten massive retaliation–Nayimi war machines rising from beneath the oceans approaching U.S. coastline, frantic negotiations–they air drop EK Ross in to chill Panther out. The tension is ratcheted way up because we raise the stakes: if they don’t turn the Winter Soldier over to T’Challa, he’s going to hold ALL of America accountable.

Monday morning quarterbacking, of course, but this is what I’m saying: the above would not have taken a lot of extra screen time but it would have been truer to this character–not *my* take on him, but the character.

Very disappointed; it’s just not the character. T’Chaka was at *least* as good at his job as T’Challa is. They should have cast Denzel as T’Chaka and handled that whole thing better or, better yet, not use T’Chaka as a cliched plot device but show Ulysses Klaue killing him (to get his hands on the Vibranium) in the Panther film. Serious missed opportunity and worst blunder of this otherwise terrific film.

At the very least, T’Chaka should have been 6’5″ and can bench press 300 lbs. Very unhappy about T’Chaka. They just blew off the character, which does not show much respect for the BP legend, to which the father–who was also The Black Panther–is the essential motivation: T’Challa handed a role he neither sought nor is particularly happy about performing.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Here it is below...

Not my Panther. An interesting take and nice performance by Boseman, but missing the fundamental element of the Black Panther (and upcoming PriestStroke): that he’s smarter than everybody else in the room. Black Panther’s super-power is his intellect, and this guy spent most of the movie pursuing an errant assumption.

T’Chaka was wasted. Could have gotten so very much more mileage out of that character.

Not my Ross. Martin Freeman is hilarious, this character was not. Ross was not brought on-stage properly and is ultimately forgettable. Also, I had no idea they’d have “Thunderbolt” Ross (whom I enjoyed) in the film, thus confusing the characters. I suppose it’d be fine if my Ross was somehow related, but the thought had never crossed my mind.

T’Chaka was not fat. Or short. Wakandan security forces are *elite* and could take on the AV’s themselves. The Dora Milaje would both need to be dead–twice–before they allowed any harm to come to their king. This was a gross violation of the TChaka character (and by extension, BP). T’Chaka was incredibly wily and would *never* have been caught off-guard like this guy. Assassinating the Wakandan king would be considered an act of war–not even mentioned. An old fat guy got whacked. On to the next plot point.

T’Challa should have–would have been compelled–to threaten massive retaliation–Nayimi war machines rising from beneath the oceans approaching U.S. coastline, frantic negotiations–they air drop EK Ross in to chill Panther out. The tension is ratcheted way up because we raise the stakes: if they don’t turn the Winter Soldier over to T’Challa, he’s going to hold ALL of America accountable.

Monday morning quarterbacking, of course, but this is what I’m saying: the above would not have taken a lot of extra screen time but it would have been truer to this character–not *my* take on him, but the character.

Very disappointed; it’s just not the character. T’Chaka was at *least* as good at his job as T’Challa is. They should have cast Denzel as T’Chaka and handled that whole thing better or, better yet, not use T’Chaka as a cliched plot device but show Ulysses Klaue killing him (to get his hands on the Vibranium) in the Panther film. Serious missed opportunity and worst blunder of this otherwise terrific film.

At the very least, T’Chaka should have been 6’5″ and can bench press 300 lbs. Very unhappy about T’Chaka. They just blew off the character, which does not show much respect for the BP legend, to which the father–who was also The Black Panther–is the essential motivation: T’Challa handed a role he neither sought nor is particularly happy about performing.

I agree with his assessment of T'Chaka. Everything else I'm :patrice: about.

T'Challa threatening war on the US wouldn't have made him a sympathetic character who the audience roots for. It would've made him another thorn in a movie that was already called CIVIL WAR because the heroes were alread at war with each other. Also I believe that given the information presented in the film, T'Challa was indeed the smartest guy in the room. He knew exactly where to find Bucky during the first fight. He was the only one who got through the huge hero battle and could've stopped Cap from fleeing had Natasha not betrayed him. He knew exactly where to find Helmut Zemo and while Cap and Tony were having their skirmish he subdued the REAL threat in Zemo.

Like I said though, his sentiments regarding T'Chaka I pretty much 100% agree with. Such a strong and regal, almost mythical character when it comes to Wakandan history, reduced to a plot device :mjcry:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I agree with his assessment of T'Chaka. Everything else I'm :patrice: about.

T'Challa threatening war on the US wouldn't have made him a sympathetic character who the audience roots for. It would've made him another thorn in a movie that was already called CIVIL WAR because the heroes were alread at war with each other. Also I believe that given the information presented in the film, T'Challa was indeed the smartest guy in the room. He knew exactly where to find Bucky during the first fight. He was the only one who got through the huge hero battle and could've stopped Cap from fleeing had Natasha not betrayed him. He knew exactly where to find Helmut Zemo and while Cap and Tony were having their skirmish he subdued the REAL threat in Zemo.

Like I said though, his sentiments regarding T'Chaka I pretty much 100% agree with. Such a strong and regal, almost mythical character when it comes to Wakandan history, reduced to a plot device :mjcry:

I'm iffy about his assessment of T'Chaka's appearance, being that this version of T'Chaka is the oldest we've every seen him. He retired from being a BP a long time ago by then, so him not being in prime physical shape made sense to me.

Now him being used as a plot device? Yea, that was fukked up. The Great King got Mufasa'd. :to:

Priest also has to understand that this version of T'Challa is different from his run. Or even other runs. T'Challa literally just got the position of King on the film during a moment of crisis. Prior to that, his father was still alive while he was a grown ass man, something we've never seen in the comics. That alone means that T'Challa, personality wise, would be a bit different. And in fairness to the movie, T'Challa was in strong pursuit of the supposed perpetrator and managed to find the actual one, without much help from the Avengers.

That said, Priest's comments on T'Challa and the bold in your post showcase the never-ending debate about T'Challa: is he more of a monarch or more of a superhero? T'Challa the super hero basically did what he did in Civil War: find the man that killed his father and King and send him to justice, ideally Wakandan justice. T'Challa the King would definitely threaten to do what Priest said, if things don't go his way.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Here it is below...

Damn he really did not like the portrayal of tchaka got real personal talking about the man's body and shyt, so cold :mjlol:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Damn he really did not like the portrayal of tchaka got real personal talking about the man's body and shyt, so cold :mjlol:

Yea he went in on that, I was like :dwillhuh: cot damn.

Funny enough, T'Chaka was a big highlight to me. John Kani did an excellent job with what he had. T'Chaka and T'Challa talking to each other is in my top 2 favorite scene in Civil War.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Yea he went in on that, I was like :dwillhuh: cot damn.

Funny enough, T'Chaka was a big highlight to me. John Kani did an excellent job with what he had. T'Chaka and T'Challa talking to each other is in my top 2 favorite scene in Civil War.

John Kani was wonderful, but he was wonderful to the point where I couldn't HELP but wonder why they'd just kill him so unceremoniously. He could've been a big part of the solo film and his death should've had the emotional impact of an Obi-Wan or Vadar death

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Waiting for BP news from SDCC like...

scared.gif

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
John Kani was wonderful, but he was wonderful to the point where I couldn't HELP but wonder why they'd just kill him so unceremoniously. He could've been a big part of the solo film and his death should've had the emotional impact of an Obi-Wan or Vadar death

I knew he had skills, but damn he knocked it out the park.

Had a breh like :wow: when he and Chadwick were speaking Xhosa. Fluid as hell. Low-key powerful scene. Then he gets murked:mjcry:

Hopefully we get some flashbacks or spiritual/mysticism stuff that allows T'Chaka to make an appearance. :ohlawd: