Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
To be fair all of T'challa's male personal cabinet got murdered.

True, but that doesn't mean that T'Challa needs to be going through this portrayal. One can have T'Challa have a better showing and the story barely changes, if at all.

It's especially strange being that it's T'Challa's book and he is the book's most popular character. I'm not sure what is there to gain by having him get hit by dudes that look like they were picked up from the street.

If he's gonna go through that kind of stuff, he better get some good W's.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Digital sales count right?

Nah, they don't. Digital sales aren't released to the public. The numbers are only print sales.

The book was top 5 last week in comixology, so it appears that its doing good there as well.

• Dap
Reactions: flo

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Unlettered preview of #5 came out and... :dahell: is going on here?

5783ff457b4de.jpg

5783ff62d142e.jpg

5783feef8c994.jpg

This doesnt look like the guy that helped me stop Caps squad. Since when does Black Excellence get caught slipping like this?

7htmonq_zpsaf84fhrb.png

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Marvel interviews BP Guest Artist Chris Sprouse:

Chris Sprouse Roars onto Black Panther | News | Marvel.com

5783fea60ee60.jpg

Legendary artist Chris Sprouse plans to leap into his new role as BLACK PANTHER artist. Launched to much fanfare earlier this year by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze, the series continues to put T’Challa to the fire with an arc called “A Sword for Lions.”

Sprouse hits the scene as the terrorist group called the People and the mental manipulator Zenzi continue their efforts to turn the people of Wakanda against their protector.

We talked with Sprouse about the Black Panther’s appeal, working in Wakanda, and hopping on such a high-profile comic.

Marvel.com: You’re no stranger to working on big books, but BLACK PANTHER has quite a bit of widespread attention. Do you feel any pressure jumping on the series with #5?

Chris Sprouse: Enormous amounts of pressure! I’m a big fan of [original artist Brian Stelfreeze’s] work, so I want to do my best with the world and characters he’s designed. When I take on any series or story, I also try to make the writer happy and give him or her exactly what they’ve written and want to see, so I’m trying to do my best by Ta-Nehisi as well. There’s also the added pressure of turning out artwork good enough that no fans will miss Brian too much while he’s away.

Marvel.com: As an artist, what intrigues you about the character of Black Panther?

Chris Sprouse: I love the mystery and nobility of the character, both of which I’m striving to get across in how I draw both T’Challa in his civilian guise and when he’s in his Black Panther costume. When he’s in costume, I’ve been trying to give him the feel of an actual big cat: sleek and self-assured, but with the potential to spring into action at any second.

Marvel.com: Wakanda is one of those comic book places that becomes as much a character as the people running around in it. Do you enjoy mixing those natural and technological elements in the scenes?

Chris Sprouse: Very much! It’s been challenging but fun.

Marvel.com: How has it been working on a character like Manifold from both a character design and power representation standpoint?

Chris Sprouse: I haven’t gotten to draw him too much so far, but he is a neat-looking character and I like the special effects associated with his powers; that’s mostly due to Laura Martin’s coloring, though!

Marvel.com: Ta-Nehisi is still relatively new to the world of comics, but seems to have a great grasp on the form. How has your experience working with him been so far?

Chris Sprouse: Excellent in every way! The scripts are great, very detailed and complex, but with plenty of room for me to spread out and be comfortable. Ta-Nehisi’s also very approachable and communicative and it’s really been a boost that he’s been so enthusiastic about my work on the series so far, since as we covered earlier, I’m stressing about living up to the quality of the previous issues!

BLACK PANTHER #5, featuring new artist Chris Sprouse and regular series writer Ta-Nehisi Coates debuts this August!

Last edited: