Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
China's on that :mjpls: but they love mechs so I'm going to bet on Pacific Rim.

Let's see if Boyega gets photoshopped off the poster this time around :pachaha:

And he has top billing....he also had top billing in Star Wars
full-1_zpsjf2pyua0.png

King T'Challa also has top billing
full-1_zpsjf2pyua0.png

Battle of who gets shrunk more?
full-1_zpsjf2pyua0.png

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
#3.

The pacing here was still a set-up (if this run was being released bimonthly, it'd be perfect), but this issue was still on point and had a lot going on.

Shuri stuck in ancestral limbo and genetic memory. :ohhh:

Tetu putting in that work. :leon: Now we see how this guy fares up as one of the conspirators of the coup.

The Hatut Zeraze swooping in. :whew:T'challa atleast knocking out Zenzi.

Ayo and Aneka got a gang of Dora's on their side? :why::mindblown:

Ramonda is telling T'challa the problem with himself is not an external problem (his external failures), but a spiritual problem. :jbhmm::ohhh:

Can't wait till Shuri comes back in the flesh, she's gonna be dropping everyone on sight. :wow:

That said, the story is feeling more like a "Wakanda" story, than a "Black Panther" story, so far.

Am I the only one glad that T'challa is sitting down in Wakanda for an entire arc for once instead of running off somewhere?

As much as we hear about Wakanda and all its glory as basically the most advanced country on Earth, the inner daily business of the country are never brought into detail. I was always more interested in how Wakanda functioned and how that lore and mythos could be fleshed out more.

I don't get this "T'challa is a side character" gist. T'CHALLA IS WAKANDA. He's stated this personally himself multiple times in multiple books in practically all of his runs.

"I am Wakanda"

"Nothing matters to me, not even myself, except Wakanda."

Like he's said that a billion times over the years.

If Wakanda is the "main character", then guess what that means T'challa is the main character. :francis: This whole thing is a character piece if you looked at it carefully but from first glance it looks more like a sociopolitical drama.

Coates is lowkey genius about it.

The only thing I'm not too sure on are the 2 MAs, Ayo and Aneka. It seems they're playing the role of Wakanda's resistant fighting hope -- if we're to say T'challa's role is that of that immobilized king who's reluctantly accepting he's lost everything, and Tetu/Zenzi's roles as that the oppositional coup (obviously).

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
#3.

The pacing here was still a set-up (if this run was being released bimonthly, it'd be perfect), but this issue was still on point and had a lot going on.

It is the best issue so far, imo. I hope it continues to improve. And I agree, It would've been great if this was a bimonthly book.

Assuming there isn't any pushback, we'll get somewhat of a bimonthly feel between issues 4 and 5. #4 comes out in July 27, while #5 comes out on August 10. There shouldn't be a delay, being that #5 to #8 should be drawn by Chris Sprouse, so he's probably already working on that issue. Stelfreeze will come back for #9 till the end of the story arc.

Shuri stuck in ancestral limbo and genetic memory. :ohhh:Tetu putting in that work. The Hatut Zeraze swooping in. T'challa atleast knocking out Zenzi.

Ramonda is telling T'challa the problem with himself is not an external problem, but a spiritual problem.

Can't wait till Shuri comes back in the flesh, she's gonna be dropping everyone on sight. :wow:

Shuri's journey is very intriguing. I'm eager to see more of it. :blessed:

Am I the only one glad that T'challa is sitting down in Wakanda for an entire arc for once instead of running off somewhere?

As much as we hear about Wakanda and all its glory as basically the most advanced country on Earth, the inner daily business of the country are never brought into detail. I was always more interested in how Wakanda functioned and how that lore and mythos could be fleshed out more.

I don't get this "T'challa is a side character" gist. T'CHALLA IS WAKANDA. He's stated this personally himself multiple times in multiple books in practically all of his runs.

"I am Wakanda"

"Nothing matters to me, not even myself, except Wakanda."

Like he's said that a billion times over the years.

If Wakanda is the "main character", then guess what that means T'challa is the main character. :francis: This whole thing is a character piece if you looked at it carefully but from first glance it looks more like a sociopolitical drama.

Coates is lowkey genius about it.

We've def seen that kind of rhetoric from T'Challa in other books (recently in the Ultimates, for example), but not on this one. What you mentioned may have been Coates' intent, but if so its not clear. Also, it seems pretty clear in this story that T'Challa and Wakanda as a whole are at odds this time around.

When readers decide to read a "Black Panther" comic book, they usually want to read about T'Challa, the Black Panther. We all knew there would be supporting characters as usual, but many expected the focus to be on T'Challa. So far, the focus is quite divided, between him, the MA, Tetu/Zenzi, and Shuri. Hence why it sometimes feels like he's a supporting character or co-star in his own book. Add the fact that he's going through some deconstruction at the moment, and his portrayal can be considered lacking, or not as impactful as it could be at the moment.

It's one of the reasons why I'm conflicted with the book. On one hand, the story, in and of itself, is good, well-written, and appears to be very ambitious. On the other hand, by virtue of T'Challa not being the focus of the story, or even being the character with the most amount of panel time, it isn't a "Black Panther" story like in previous runs. The deconstruction going on with T'Challa and even Wakanda is a concern too, but I'll wait if there's any change in the next few issues.

That said, its three issues now so we'll see if this overall improvement continues at issue 4 (which is the conclusion of "A Nation Under Our Feet") and issue 5 (with is the beginning "A Sword For Lions"). In the meantime, I'll be re-calibrating my expectations for this book in terms of panel time and focus. Like others have said, this appears to have more of a Game of Thrones feel (which isn't a bad thing, per se), rather than your traditional solo book set-up, so I'll keep that in mind.

The only thing I'm not too sure on are the 2 MAs, Ayo and Aneka. It seems they're playing the role of Wakanda's resistant fighting hope -- if we're to say T'challa's role is that of that immobilized king who's reluctantly accepting he's lost everything, and Tetu/Zenzi's roles as that the oppositional coup (obviously).

The MA's plot is moving quite slowly right now. There's a lot of details about what they are doing that can be missed, if one doesn't carefully read the previous issues. Their arc in issue 3 was indirectly mentioned in issue 2, but its very easy to miss, if one doesn't pay attention.

This 12-issue run will read much better as a trade, imho.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Assuming there isn't any pushback, we'll get somewhat of a bimonthly feel between issues 4 and 5. #4 comes out in July 27, while #5 comes out on August 10. There shouldn't be a delay, being that #5 to #8 should be drawn by Chris Sprouse, so he's probably already working on that issue. Stelfreeze will come back for #9 till the end of the story arc.

Those issues coming up are definitely more back to back which is good, because like you said "Nation Under Our Feet" ends next issue so the pacing'll gets more even.

What you mentioned may have been Coates' intent, but if so its not clear. Also, it seems pretty clear in this story that T'Challa and Wakanda as a whole are at odds this time around.

Wakanda is going through a loss of identity and functionality, so ergo it goes the same for T'challa, I think it's one insecurity T'challa can't just outsmart and jump at ( and as we see over and again these past issues, T'challa comes out of nowhere and tries to get the jump on the traitors/The People but never fully prevails against them). It's not explicitly stated by Coates though, you're right on that.

When readers decide to read a "Black Panther" comic book, they usually want to read about T'Challa, the Black Panther. We all knew there would be supporting characters as usual, but many expected the focus to be on T'Challa. So far, the focus is quite divided, between him, the MA, Tetu/Zenzi, and Shuri. Hence why it sometimes feels like he's a supporting character or co-star in his own book. Add the fact that he's going through some deconstruction at the moment, and his portrayal can be considered lacking, or not as impactful as it could be at the moment.

I guess it just comes down to perspectives. I don't feel he's a co-star. :yeshrug: ....Unless Ayo and Aneka end up saving the country.:mjlol:

That said, its three issues now so we'll see if this overall improvement continues at issue 4 (which is the conclusion of "A Nation Under Our Feet") and issue 5 (with is the beginning "A Sword For Lions"). In the meantime, I'll be re-calibrating my expectations for this book in terms of panel time and focus. Like others have said, this appears to have more of a Game of Thrones feel (which isn't a bad thing, per se), rather than your traditional solo book set-up, so I'll keep that in mind.

"Sword of Lions".

See that alone sounds like a shift in the tables already, an optimistic one too. And apparently Manifold is coming through to help T'challa as well, which is dope af.

This 12-issue run will read much better as a trade, imho.

Yeah, it definitely will. I feel like the first 3 issues of any comic run -- especially those with major shifts in plot and character - don't tell us everything that should be told.

This saga is basically one big long literary script cut into 12 parts. Spacing that out is not that easy now that I think about it. If you were to compare, Secret wars wasn't even 10 issues.

The MA's plot is moving quite slowly right now. There's a lot of details about what they are doing that can be missed, if one doesn't carefully read the previous issues. Their arc in issue 3 was indirectly mentioned in issue 2, but its very easy to miss, if one doesn't pay attention.

well it seems their goal is to dethrone T'challa as well. They're effectively defectors and don't like what's going on. I feel out they'd get the most rapport from the population too.

Notice T'challa is fighting the MAs on the cover ( but that doesn't actually happen in-story).

I just reread that bit you pointed out in #2
They pulled up a map of people to hit. :ohhh: Mandla was one of them. There's 3 others.

And it seems their other plan is building up their own makeshift Dora Milaje army along the way. :ohhh:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Those issues coming up are definitely more back to back which is good, because like you said "Nation Under Our Feet" ends next issue so the pacing'll gets more even.

Right. I think with Chris Sprouse doing the art for #5 - #8, we shouldn't be getting much delays, if any. It also allows Stelfreeze to get ahead for the final issues of the current story arc.

Wakanda is going through a loss of identity and functionality, so ergo it goes the same for T'challa, I think it's one insecurity T'challa can't just outsmart and jump at ( and as we see over and again these past issues, T'challa comes out of nowhere and tries to get the jump on the traitors/The People but never fully prevails against them). It's not explicitly stated by Coates though, you're right on that.

I guess it just comes down to perspectives. I don't feel he's a co-star. :yeshrug: ....Unless Ayo and Aneka end up saving the country.:mjlol:

Maybe its a perspective thing, in the end. Plus, all this could be remedied by the upcoming issues anyway. We'll see how it goes.

If the MA end up saving Wakanda, ppl are gonna flip lol.

"Sword of Lions".

See that alone sounds like a shift in the tables already, an optimistic one too. And apparently Manifold is coming through to help T'challa as well, which is dope af.

Good lookout on the title. It appears that T'Challa will be less reactionary this time around and more strategic. I hope that's the case.

Yeah, it definitely will. I feel like the first 3 issues of any comic run -- especially those with major shifts in plot and character - don't tell us everything that should be told.

This saga is basically one big long literary script cut into 12 parts. Spacing that out is not that easy now that I think about it. If you were to compare, Secret wars wasn't even 10 issues.

Exactly. By comic book standards, this book is moving very slowly. #3 to me was the first book that got things moving for once. #4 has to get the ball rolling considering its the end of the "Nation" arc. Same with #5 onward.

well it seems their goal is to dethrone T'challa as well. They're effectively defectors and don't like what's going on. I feel out they'd get the most rapport from the population too.

Notice T'challa is fighting the MAs on the cover ( but that doesn't actually happen in-story).

I just reread that bit you pointed out in #2
They pulled up a map of people to hit. :ohhh: Mandla was one of them. There's 3 others.

And it seems their other plan is building up their own makeshift Dora Milaje army along the way. :ohhh:
Ahhhh, you noticed the map. :obama:. I didn't the first time. When I re-read #2 I was like :ohhh:. A lot of random details like that in the book. This is all very non-tradition for a comic book (at least to me), usually such things are either told explicitly heavily implied somehow.

Regardless of how one feels about the current book, its in Coates' best interest for #4 to be a hit narratively. It must get the ball rolling in a major way. There hasn't been a major development yet, and it appears #4 is primed for that. Would be very surprised if nothing major happens then, wouldn't be a good look at all.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
@Concerning VIolence, I reread your post and noticed this part.

Wakanda is going through a loss of identity and functionality, so ergo it goes the same for T'challa, I think it's one insecurity T'challa can't just outsmart and jump at ( and as we see over and again these past issues, T'challa comes out of nowhere and tries to get the jump on the traitors/The People but never fully prevails against them). It's not explicitly stated by Coates though, you're right on that

It is a notable obvservation especially being that Coates has said before that this won't be a conflict T'Challa will be able to beat with his fists. Him not beating Zenzi and Tetu via charging to their location, with or without backup, may be one of Coates' ways of illustrating that.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
This issue wasn't bad. Not the hard hit I was hoping for but it was ok. Everything Coates doesn't do in here that I'd like will be done in my own comic as a mirror.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
This issue wasn't bad. Not the hard hit I was hoping for but it was ok. Everything Coates doesn't do in here that I'd like will be done in my own comic as a mirror.

I think the hard hits will start from #4 onward. Especially considering its the end of the "Nation" arc. Would be a big missed opportunity if something big doesn't happen then. There's more than enough build-up at this point.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Saw an open casting for actors in Atlanta. Part of the movie will be filmed there and then in Africa. The movie begins filming in January (I know most knew that part)