Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
:gucci: @The Dankster @Birnin Zana @Bigbigguy @Ziggiy @Achille

@Rapmastermind

This dude Chris LeBron and others really out here missing everything about this movie.

Hell its even hinted at during the 2nd Ancestral Plane for T'Challa that a woman ruled at one time.

Also it was two women running two different tribes as well. They went to M'Baku cause he had an army and they were basically outsiders. :why:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

@Rapmastermind

This dude Chris LeBron and others really out here missing everything about this movie.

Hell its even hinted at during the 2nd Ancestral Plane for T'Challa that a woman ruled at one time.

Also it was two women running two different tribes as well. They went to M'Baku cause he had an army and they were basically outsiders. :why:

Chris Lebron pissed me off how badly he missed everything about that movie. He still thinks Killmonger is just a "villain" even after Chadwick went public about that, and who think we're supposed to "love" the CIA agent who created Killmonger in the first place and is told to shut his ass up and stay in his lane all movie long. :russ:

And he was out there saying the movie was anti-AA male and now at the same time twitter activists calling it anti-female too. :dead:

And he out there claiming the movie doesn't give a place for justified Black anger at the same time others complaining that the movie be too violent. :yeshrug:

Four of the six most prominent "good guys" were women, two of the tribes led by women, the biggest badass in the whole movie was a woman, and women saved the day multiple times and someone still gotta complain just cause the Black Panther himself ain't a woman too. :dead:

The dude trying to call the whole film "Magical Negro" is clueless. The whole point of the criticism is that the Magical Negro has no status and no real self-determination, he's just there to help the main White character find himself. Literally has NOTHING to do with a film where Black people lead the whole way. If anything, the damn CIA agent is almost a Magical Negro in reverse. :lolbron:

So if I got it right, Black Panther is wrong if there is no violence and wrong if there is any violence, wrong if the women are stronger and wrong if the men are stronger, wrong if Black people in the support role and wrong if White people in the support role.

I'd love to know what would have made them happy. They're probably all just DC plants. :mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
And I think there's a few legitimate complaints possible.

The whole, "Beat him in combat to save the day" thing sorta is how superhero movies have to be, but it is cliche and pro-violence. It would have been amazing to do something different, but that's asking a lot.

Reforming the Oakland neighborhood and working to make the world a better place is a sweet deal, and I liked how they landed the ship right there with the kids so those kids could really see what was up, but it still felt a little underwhelming. I get that the pacing of the movie meant they had to do that quick, but it would have been awesome if somewhere in the mix with the economic refurbishing and education, they had worked in how Wakanda was going to start helping ensure real justice worldwide too.

And that CIA guy taking shots at the planes at the end was a bad look. I get the message they were trying to send with that whole character (White people can participate too if they choose the right side and stay in their damn lane), but it should have been something other than shooting at Wakandans. Again, though, it's just a bit of laziness because everything in superhero movies about shooting.

But I can recognize those shortcomings and still see the movie as overwhelmingly positive and deep compared to all other stuff out there. If you watching that and your MAIN reaction is to criticize, you're living a miserable life, brother. Not all of us can just keep hitting the play button on Moonbeam or whatever.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

@Rapmastermind

vpewmnf---imgur.gif

Man that dude is throwing a bunch of reaches, hoping one of them will stick.

First off, Killmonger had to be stopped. His way would've cause a global conflict at the expense of many innocents, Wakandans included. On top of that, the Wakandan people did not ask for this, Killmonger got his plan rolling immediately after he became king, with little regard for anyone's opinion. A civil war would've been inevitable.

Second, yes T'Challa's initiatives at the end seemed small. However, people have to remember: he's the King of Wakanda, a long time isolationist nation that keeps its distance from outsiders. He's not the president of the United States or the head of state of another nation. T'Challa's initiatives are going against centuries of Wakandan doctrine. Doing more will get the block hot back home. Going at it incrementally--in this specific case--is a fair and wise move to make.

Third, of course Nakia, Ramonda and Shuri went to M'Baku once they got the last heart-shape herb. M'Baku has an army! :snoop:

Meanwhile, Nakia doesn't have the credibility to have people follow her like that (she says so herself). Ramonda is too old, Okoye chose to follow tradition and stick with the throne, and Shuri is not only too young but doesn't even have the proper combat training to fight an elite fighter like Killmonger. M'Baku actually put in work when fighting T'Challa AND he has a strong following via the Jabari tribe. He was the best choice hands down.

Fourth, Loving Ross or even liking him wasn't even insinuated. Dude was being checked non-stop by damn near every Wakandan character throughout the film.

Fifth, Wakanda is a patriarchal society?! The Doras initially sticking with tradition and then breaking away from Killmonger changed the game. T'Challa would've been a goner and/or SOL if it wasn't for Ramonda, Nakia and Shuri (Nakia in particular). You could even argue that the female characters straight up stole the show throughout the film.

In addition, the comics invalidate that arguement completely via Shuri's existence, a woman who led grown men and women to battle many times and even ran the country for a bit. A woman who's bodyguards were an elite strike force made up entirely of men (the Hatute Zeraze). They clearly haven't read any of the comic books.

And no, Shuri was not going to be the damn BP in the first freakin film and rightfully so. I say this as a huge Shuri fan. T'Challa just got his intro in Civil War. Let him have his shine. At the least, let him have his trilogy like the other big dogs of the MCU (Tony, Cap, Thor). There's plenty of time for something different down the line, if Marvel choose to go there.

Sixth, one on one combat aint the same as all-out war. No way at all. Geez :snoop:

shyt's ridiculous brehs and brehettes. Ridiculous. :snoop:

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

@Rapmastermind

These folks just want attention. They have no clue of the character origins and their changes in the film and don't care.

The only legitimate critique to me (in real world application) is Killmonger's perspective as a "black nationalist/imperialist"

Seea

rill rill
Daps
Reppin
Nope.
The impactful part of his line wasn't the bury me in the ocean part. It was the ancestors who jumped from slave ships part. It showed that even back then there were people like him who rather die then be held in bondage. That's a powerful message.

Taking that part out and just saying "bury me in the ocean ....with my ancestors" makes it seem like we used to do ocean burials like vikings or something.

Plus saying "they knew death was better" without the context of bondage makes no sense. The audience would be like, better than what?

Points taken.

My issue isn't with the information the quote presents; the problem is how forced it sounds. On script it probably worked. On screen it's something that just isn't fluid, and without fluidity the emotional punch either doesn't land or it ends up too overwrought to get under your skin the way it is supposed to. There's a possibility that MBJ delivered awkwardly and maybe that's why it sounds off to me every time. I was impacted by other things he said, and that was meant to be the biggest. It wasn't, not for me.

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
Interesting. The highest for a MCU movie in China is 120 million I believe.

From Forbes:

We should note that, among solo superhero flicks, only Iron Man 3 ($121m in 2013) has ever topped $120m in China.

So BP made $104 thus far in China. In other words it’s a hit.

Standing on business

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
ya nikkas care too much about what wht ppl think. i went and saw this shyt with the fammo, i loved it they loved it. the end.

Absolutely, I have no idea why people are constantly bothered by twitter think pieces from people who say outlandish shyt for retweets. Responding (good or bad) is what they want you to do.

mr x

Superstar
Daps