Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Besides TWS killing the Starks, what MCU movie was based around white people killing each other over power and resources?

None of The Avengers are out for power or resources. The enemies have been aliens, or individuals.

Thor and Loki don't even kill each other and eventually come togethet. Loki kills Odin, but that's not even his biological father and it's offscreen. Not to mention this takes place in a completely fictional alien world. Black Panther is a fictional country but set in the real world.

I am definitely overthinking it, but movies have a HUGE impact on our conscious and subconscious minds, and IMO this is putting forth a longheld false and negative notion that Africa's problems are Africa's fault and not due to the Western world raping the entire continent for its people and resources.

Power and resources?

Ironman 1-3
Cap 1
Antman villain was willing to kill anyone for a resource

If you dont want to include the others where people were killing others for power and resources cuz they werent black or white then cool but thats a start

I see where you're trying to go with this.... but lets not forget that Loki been with Odin since he was an infant and even if its not blood they still grew up as siblings. Loki wasnt raised anywhere else but Asgard and with Odin as his dad and Thor as his brother, they got HISTORY so of course they not gonna easily kill each other.... especially when overall they had a GREAT RELATIONSHIP. There was never any signs of strain between them or Thor talking down to Loki and picking on him, he loved him with all his heart and Loki has that same love back for him even though he does fukked up shyt. Loki showed sorry and sadness when their mother did in Thor 2, that fukked him up just as bad as Thor. Now that I think of it, where exactly did we see Loki kill Odin? I think you're getting what Thor implied confused.

Loki stripped Odin of his powers and banished him to earth...... but he didnt kill him. It seem it was more of him just coming to an end as he was dying of old age no different from any other older parent but Loki didnt do anything physical or life threatening to kill Odin. Thor just lashed out at him and blamed him, but Odin was more or less like "hey boys, its my time to go, I love yall be strong" no hostile feelings or signs that could implicate Loki in doing something that actually hurt his life.

The main falsehoods people have about Africa is they are poor, sick, weak, savage, starving, stupid, need the help of the world. Where this movie showed something that was dramatically different from that narrative. Thats what I got from it and thats what many other fellow black people I know got from it.

Wakanda is a beautiful and intelligent place thats strong and peaceful, when BP walked the streets, everyone was happy and doing their thing and he didnt even need security cuz it wasnt like there were threats looking to take him out. He was the KING of his country full of black people and he was walking in the streets like a normal black man.

Martha

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
My beef is that the first major black superhero movie in the MCU shouldn't have made the main conflict of the film a Wakandan civil war over the right to the throne and vibranium. Wakanda should have come together to fight an outside threat, not have been divided and temporarily conquered by one of its own, whose father was also killed by his own brother for trying to steal vibranium to help blacks in America. The ending set the scene for the sequel to move in the right direction, I just don't believe the series should've began with a Wakandan civil war.

While I respect your opinion I fundamentally disagree. I like seeing black people have conflict with each other and not act as a monolith. I want to see black heroes, villains, traitors, gods, peasants, foes, allies, and love interests all in the same story. I want to see characters that run the full spectrum of humanity. And BP accomplished that.

There are fully realized characters in Wakanda, like Nakia and Okoye. They aren't just black women in Wakanda that all behave the same way and believe the same thing, they have strong motivations and convictions that don't always align perfectly, and watching those opposing motivations and ideologies collide was compelling. Same with M'Baku and T'Challa. And Killmonger vs T'Challa. You lose that nuance and interesting characterization by suggesting that a temporary divide was a bad thing, or that them "coming together" as a single entity at the beginning of the film is better.

While there has been infighting before in MCU movies, I can acknowledge that it went to a greater degree in BP. But where you see it as a sin, I see it as storytelling that elevates it beyond what came before it from the brand.

Then why have Ross shoot down the planes at all? The writers knew T'Challa would emerge victorious, why make a white CIA agent play any role in it? Think it was just to slightly appease the white audience?

There is a little of that, sure. But I also think it's a funny take on the token minority friend trope, where they get to help 'save the day'. But in this instance Ross was being talked down to like an idiot the entire time by a black genius.

So even if it "appeased" the white audience by having a white character in the midst of the final showdown, they still had to live with the one white character being a called-out colonizer that had to be walked through each step of his heroism like a baby. This is their hero.

Last edited:

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Excluding the final fight.... what Wakandians did we see fight each other? And even in the final fight it wasnt like it was mad bloodshed, hell it ultimately ended in peace.... but where was this huge war in the present time where we saw this violent conflict? Like were there some extra scenes show at different theaters from the one I saw it at? Cuz I missed that

Martha

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Lifer11

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While I respect your opinion I fundamentally disagree. I like seeing black people have conflict with each other and not act as a monolith. There are fully realized characters in Wakanda, like Nakia and Okoye. They aren't just black women in Wakanda, they have strong motivations and opinions that don't always align perfectly, and watching those things collide was compelling. Same with M'Baku and T'Challa. You lose that nuance and interesting characterization by suggesting that a temporary divide was a bad thing, or that them "coming together" as a single entity at the beginning of the film is better.

While there has been infighting before in MCU movies, I can acknowledge that it went to a greater degree in BP. But where you see it as a sin, I see it as storytelling that elevates it beyond what came before it from the brand.

There is a little of that, sure. But I also think it's a funny take on the token minority friend trope, where they get to help, but in this instance Ross was being talked down to like an idiot the entire time by a black genius. So even if it "appeased" the white audience, they still had to live with him being a called-out colonizer that had to be walked through each step of his heroism like a baby.

Oh I didn't say it didn't make for a compelling and very good to great film, just wish it would've gone a different way, but honestly, I need to see it again cause even just from this discussion I've reconsidered different nuances and see them in a different light. I got so caught up in the hype that no matter what, the 1st viewing couldn't live up to the hype, so the 2nd and 3rd viewing when I can really take everything in I'm sure I'm going to see it all much differently. I'm also villainizing Disney, I need to put bias and expectations aside for a 2nd viewing.

Lifer11

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Excluding the final fight.... what Wakandians did we see fight each other? And even in the final fight it wasnt like it was mad bloodshed, hell it ultimately ended in peace.... but where was this huge war in the present time where we saw this violent conflict? Like were there some extra scenes show at different theaters from the one I saw it at? Cuz I missed that

Martha

I know I'm remembering it now and it wasn't ruthless bloodshed like I registered it in my mind initially. I need to see it again with no expectations just an open mind.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
I know I'm remembering it now and it wasn't ruthless bloodshed like I registered it in my mind initially. I need to see it again with no expectations just an open mind.

I watch all movies like that.... cuz I just want to enjoy them and I like to look at all movies equally.... as in..... I'm gonna watch BP the same way I'd watch say a James Bond movie.... I'm not trynna deep dive and look for symbolism and subconscious messages, I just wanna watch and enjoy the movie.

Just like how I'm getting tired of how we marginalize and penalize some blacks for comical shyt they do calling them c00ns but anyone else can do the same thing and its cool. We all loved Martin when it aired but if Martin comes back and does the same shyt he was doing back then or if another show was basically the Martin of this era with a black cast, some folks would call it a c00n show.

So its like Blacks cant play outlandish characters without backlash but then you got Steve Carrell, Jim Carrey, Will Ferrell, that white fat chick doing outlandish shyt and no one looks at it as "they making white people look bad, they white c00ning, they got other races laughing at them instead of with them"

When Adam Sandler does his outrageous shyt its not like "oh he making Jews look bad" or Margeret Cho and the cast of "Straight off the Boat" we not like oh they making Asians look bad.

Sometimes we gotta sit back and chill and just be a little more comfortable, there are some things to legitimately take to heart but something its like "man, its really not that serious"

Martha

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Breh's.... If Marvel's deal with Fox is finalized.... maybe they should keep the current Storm....

She sounds like T'CHalla in this scene. Same rhetoric, same philosophy

:ehh:she gotta work on that accent, but she will do.

Storm and T'Challa actually align politically. Only difference is T'Challa obviously having a Wakandan slant in his POV.

Hell, Storm does influence T'Challa's decision making in the comics. Not just in Hudlin run when they were married, but in the Priest run as well.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
What the fukk is this thread turning into??
full-3_zpsobokmvw3.png

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Storm and T'Challa actually align politically. Only difference is T'Challa obviously having a Wakandan slant in his POV.

Hell, Storm does influence T'Challa's decision making in the comics. Not just in Hudlin run when they were married, but in the Priest run as well.

Yeah, but #marvelgang was attacking the actress after the Marvel deal was announced saying she was gonna get fired. I say keep her :manny:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Finally saw it. Loved it.

Kilmonger is the most interesting character in the film by far and is also the most problematic. His backstory jumps out for a variety of reasons: He is an American military asset gone rogue with a mission to attain weapons of mass destruction and rally the support of his homeland against America and other Western powers. Sound familiar? I find it curious that no one I'm aware of has directly compared his character to Osama Bin Laden as of writing nor framed the plot in the context of 20th/21st century political upheaval. Kilmonger's character all but personifies Western fears about the manufactured monsters of Western oppression: he is a tragic broken shell of a human who is beyond "reason" and therefore can only be "neutralized" before he does the same to us. The plethoric kill-count he bears on his skin is perceived as tragic insomuch that it's "common sense" that the outcomes of his circumstances (abandoned ghetto child from Oakland) were inescapable. His character presents a false dichotomy that the only "logical" course of action for oppressed people to take when they are militarized is to react to oppressive forces with violence.
nods_display.gif