hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Just got back from seeing it...so every other MCU movie has an outside threat as the enemy, besides Civil War which took like a decade to build up to and was still essentially just a (very rough) fist fight between friends, and also had an outside threat. The only violent death ironically was T'Chaka.

Meanwhile the first MCU movie centered around black people, based on what is the most technologically advanced and evolved civilization on Earth, was all about black people, from the same country/tribe, ruthlessly killing each other for a good portion of the movie, while a white guy/CIA agent essentially saved the day by taking out the ships attempting to fly the vibranium to Wakandan spies in major cities, and no one sees a MAJOR issue with that? Some of the issues raised by Killmonger attempted to make the movie seem like an empowering and inspiring black power film, but the actual story was just a stylized metaphorical version of how the average white American sees black people.

It was entertaining and I'm happy it's been so successful, but it's far from the STORY and depiction of blacks young people of all races need to see. It may as well have been two drug dealers fighting for the same block in an American city, with a long list of casualties, and a white law enforcement agent stopping them from destroying the world/ neighborhood around them.

EDIT: Also, Disney/Marvel has marketed this film brilliantly. They have people making it an issue of racial pride to get this to gross a billion $$, for a film made by the whitest most powerful film/media conglomerate in the world. I know it's a step in the right direction, but it's still just further enriching and empowering the EXACT power structure that has worked for so long to keep Hollywood lily white and perpetuate the system of haves and have nots.

You cats gotta stop with this "Ross is actually the real hero" nonsense. He's a footnote in this movie. He was so inconsequential he's not even shown again after that scene.

If Ross failed Wakanda could still stop the War Dogs from using those weapons.

If T'Challa fails then it doesn't matter what Ross does.

It's as simple as that.

Take what you said about black people killing each other or fighting the entire movie, and apply it to "Civil War" about white people. See how retarded that sounds?

Fred.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just got back from seeing it...so every other MCU movie has an outside threat as the enemy, besides Civil War which took like a decade to build up to and was still essentially just a (very rough) fist fight between friends, and also had an outside threat. The only violent death ironically was T'Chaka.

Meanwhile the first MCU movie centered around black people, based on what is the most technologically advanced and evolved civilization on Earth, was all about black people, from the same country/tribe, ruthlessly killing each other for a good portion of the movie, while a white guy/CIA agent essentially saved the day by taking out the ships attempting to fly the vibranium to Wakandan spies in major cities, and no one sees a MAJOR issue with that? Some of the issues raised by Killmonger attempted to make the movie seem like an empowering and inspiring black power film, but the actual story was just a stylized metaphorical version of how the average white American sees black people.

It was entertaining and I'm happy it's been so successful, but it's far from the STORY and depiction of blacks young people of all races need to see. It may as well have been two drug dealers fighting for the same block in an American city, with a long list of casualties, and a white law enforcement agent stopping them from destroying the world/ neighborhood around them.

EDIT: Also, Disney/Marvel has marketed this film brilliantly. They have people making it an issue of racial pride to get this to gross a billion $$, for a film made by the whitest most powerful film/media conglomerate in the world. I know it's a step in the right direction, but it's still just further enriching and empowering the EXACT power structure that has worked for so long to keep Hollywood lily white and perpetuate the system of haves and have nots.
:snoop:

Lifer11

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You cats gotta stop with this "Ross is actually the real hero" nonsense. He's a footnote in this movie. He was so inconsequential he's not even shown again after that scene.

If Ross failed Wakanda could still stop the War Dogs from using those weapons.

If T'Challa fails then it doesn't matter what Ross does.

It's as simple as that.

Take what you said about black people killing each other or fighting the entire movie, and apply it to "Civil War" about white people. See how retarded that sounds?

Fred.

No white people die in Civil War. All the MCU movies have anonymous casualties, but they're not even on screen or play any part in the story. Like I said, Civil War is just essentially a fist fight between friends. Black Panther is a full on Wakandan civil war, with people from the same country/tribe actually killing each other. It's a negative stereotype being perpetuated and packaged differently whether people want to admit it or not.

Lifer11

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Where am I wrong? Why couldn't Black Panther have had white antagonists? Imagine if Wakanda actually existed how the US and Russian governments (among others) would react. Instead of having that play out they had Killmonger point out how Wakandans didn't help black people around the world in the past, resulting in a Wakandan civil war with them ruthlessly killing each other like it was nothing. It was a slick little sleight of hand on Disney/Marvel's part, repackaging a tired negative false stereotype of black people.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Where am I wrong? Why couldn't Black Panther have had white antagonists? Imagine if Wakanda actually existed how the US and Russian governments (among others) would react. Instead of having that play out they had Killmonger point out how Wakandans didn't help black people around the world in the past, resulting in a Wakandan civil war with them ruthlessly killing each other like it was nothing. It was a slick little sleight of hand on Disney/Marvel's part, repackaging a tired negative false stereotype of black people.
Ight man

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
No white people die in Civil War. All the MCU movies have anonymous casualties, but they're not even on screen or play any part in the story. Like I said, Civil War is just essentially a fist fight between friends. Black Panther is a full on Wakandan civil war, with people from the same country/tribe actually killing each other. It's a negative stereotype being perpetuated and packaged differently whether people want to admit it or not.

Because then the majority of the cast wouldn't be black. :gucci:

"The Winter Soldier" is a bunch of people from the same country fighting/killing each other. And they're all white. I don't get how someone can ask for a movie to have a majority black cast....then get upset that the conflict is between black people.

The movie even starts off telling you that the five tribes in Wakanda had a civil war over vibranium before, so :what: at your complaints.

And I see you conveniently side stepped the Ross shyt I said. Address that, because it seems like you're just looking for things to complain about.

Fred.

Lifer11

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because then the majority of the cast wouldn't be black. :gucci:

"The Winter Soldier" is a bunch of people from the same country fighting/killing each other. And they're all white. I don't get how someone can ask for a movie to have a majority black cast....then get upset that the conflict is between black people.

The movie even starts off telling you that the five tribes in Wakanda had a civil war over vibranium before, so :what: at your complaints.

And I see you conveniently side stepped the Ross shyt I said. Address that, because it seems like you're just looking for things to complain about.

Fred.

Ross is the one who shot down the planes with the vibranium, while Killmonger and T'Challa fought each other and the rest of Wakanda fought and killed each other. If Ross doesn't shoot those planes down, we have a 4th act or part of the sequel is trying to minimize the damage done by Killmonger getting vibranium into the wrong hands.

And the cast could've easily remained overwhelmingly black and added a few people of different ethnicities from either the US, Russia or China trying to steal vibranium providing an outside threat as the main enemy.

And I love how u sidestepped that this movie just played on a dated false stereotype that white Americans say all the time, that blacks are too busy killing each other and are their own worst enemies.

With this whole Russian craze it would've been the perfect opportunity to make a few Russians work with Killmonger to try and steal vibranium, only to have Killmonger have a change of heart when he saw that his efforts would only get more blacks around the world killed/oppressed, while at the same time keeping it so that his ideals rubbed off on T'Challa so that he still wants to use Wakanda's wealth and technology to help in the end. There were other better ways to do it rather than having ANOTHER Wakandan civil war, like u said the movie addressed there already was a civil war over vibranium, putting forth the impression that Africans, specifically Wakandans, can't help but kill each other, which is much more true of white people than Africans/black people, though it is a part of all human nature.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
28157592_352901751878749_227918963617562624_n.jpg

28434664_202177613863412_7610084768884981760_n.jpg

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Just realized on the third viewing Eric and his Dad were speaking from the grave....the ancestral plane that binds past and present...levels.

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
After a second viewing;

• CGI isnt horrible but as bad as the first time
  • The fights are way better than i rememeber
  • The dialogue and deep lore make this now my favorite MCU film slighting above the 2nd and 3rd Captain America movies
  • My aapreshation for the story rose. Its a grrat story to tell and its rewarding to understand . Killmonger is up there with all timw cinema villians. I was choked up at the end. Beautiful movie.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
If there's any hero movie that could get away with a 3 hour length it's this.

Oh my goodness it woulda been an amazing experience.
If they knew the box office would kill like this would they have made a longer cut :patrice:

Probably wouldn't get the 1.2 Billion its on track for.

However, a billion and a 3 hour cut of the movie :wow:

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
And the cast could've easily remained overwhelmingly black and added a few people of different ethnicities from either the US, Russia or China trying to steal vibranium providing an outside threat as the main enemy.

klaue-black-panther-1038563.gif

And I love how u sidestepped that this movie just played on a dated false stereotype that white Americans say all the time, that blacks are too busy killing each other and are their own worst enemies.

This is what YOU took from the movie, not me.

I saw fighting, yes. Unfortunately there's fighting within EVERY COMMUNITY ON THIS PLANET. What I also saw was a unique take on black philosophies and the diaspora, something I haven't seem explored in cinema before. That's what @hex is talking about. Coogler and crew took this 200mil budget and spent it on a mostly black cast to tell a black story. It was about a loss of identity ("they will say you are lost"/"maybe it's them that's lost") and failure of brotherhood (nobu betraying Wakanda and tchaka killing him) and sons having to deal with the mess their fathers made etc.

I saw MBaka coming to help Tchalla and Wakanda when it really mattered and Get Out breh laying down his weapons when shyt got too real.

I even saw a glimpse of love and understanding between TChalla and Erik, before he died. And then TChalla changing his philosophy and expanding to help black communities around the world.

Did it take fighting to get there, YES.

But to walk away from this movie going "this was about blacks killing blacks" is just :gucci: and :mjpls:

With this whole Russian craze it would've been the perfect opportunity to make a few Russians work with Killmonger to try and steal vibranium, only to have Killmonger have a change of heart when he saw that his efforts would only get more blacks around the world killed/oppressed, while at the same time keeping it so that his ideals rubbed off on T'Challa so that he still wants to use Wakanda's wealth and technology to help in the end. There were other better ways to do it rather than having ANOTHER Wakandan civil war, like u said the movie addressed there already was a civil war over vibranium, putting forth the impression that Africans, specifically Wakandans, can't help but kill each other, which is much more true of white people than Africans/black people, though it is a part of all human nature.

They addressed Europeans having stolen African resources in like the third scene of the movie. Shyt they addressed African American leaders getting killed and communities flooded with drugs in the FIRST scene. Then they have an AFRIKANER for the first half of the movie established as having illegally entered Wakanda, stole resources and killed some of their people. The first half of the movie is about them finding this Afrikaner and either killing him or bringing him to justice.

Last but not least, Killmonger is straight from the comics. It's not like they made him up. It's like getting upset at the Joker being in a Batman movie, "look at DC misrepresenting mental health" or Lex Luthor in Superman, "look at them demonizing rich people". Plus all them movies were white on white violence.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps