Official Black Panther Film Thread (SPOILERS)

Apollo

Music & Arts
Daps
Reppin
Nootropics
What? No he didn't. How do you figure? T'Challa won the throne anyway. Seriously, how do you figure that?

Killmonger won the challenge fight, if it wasn't for old wondering eye he would have killed T'Challa, then his family steals the herb to bring him back to life.

Killmonger won based on their tribal rules, then these rich uppity fukks cheated to maintain their dominance over the ordinary man.

cornercommission2k12

so this were u dudes went
Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
Just got back from watching it

Overall great movie. Won't say it's my favorite marvel movie but it Def was top 5 in my personal favs.

I love the way african customs and traditions were represented. I love how they exposed the world's ignorance to our ancient traditions. Acting was wonderful, story line was great. Humor wasn't over the top, developed characters you would like to see in other marvel movies.

Now what I didn't like

White guy there was just unnecessary. Throwing him in to appease a white audience, looked too blatant. Giving him a role in shooting down those ships was just awkward and forced.

I hated the relationship between the husband and wife. They was getting the butter biscuits and pancakes warmed up in that last fight scene. All the women in red rolling with the black panther, all the men in blue following orders but a entire fight with men vs women basically, yea wasn't feeling that. Fortunately the jabari tribe came in and redeemed it some. But I wasn't feeling that look, I wasn't feeling panther love interest protecting white guy.

Small things, though, it's still Disney and Hollywood guess you can't expect perfect, I give it a A- minus for the slight tap dancing the movie did.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Wakanda finally opening up to the world will lead Thanos team to them.

i can dig that...i was just hoping for something a little bit more foreboding...like in thor ragnarok where thor and loki had the oh shyt look when thanos ship pulled up on them

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
LOL. No he didn't. T'challa never yielded and Zuri (Forest Whitaker) interfered in the combat, which is essentially a DQ. He did it due to feeling guilty seeing the results of his actions or rather inactions of aiding in T'Chaka's cover up for N'Jobu's kill, thus creating Killmonger.
-
Lot of ya'll getting so wrapped up in Killmonger's militant, thuggery (albeit he had some solid points for sure, so I understand why) that ya'll missed out on the subtleties that took place. Like T'Challa literally could have killed Killmonger very quickly, early in the battle, as twice that he had deathblow shots that he didn't miss by accident, but by intentional mercy. T'Challa relented in their first fight due to a. just finding out the history of Killmonger's upbringing and feeling much remorse for his father's cold-blooded actions and b. taking upon the higher road of Wakandan principles in not killing unless absolutely necessary. Sure, it was quite the gamble for him to do so and plenty would say was the wrong play to make, understandably so.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Movie had some good stuff going for it, but overall it was disappointment
the way the shyt been hyped up I was expecting some excellent visuals, compelling action sequences, story moved way too fast
not enough wakanda everyday life, not enough killmonger development, not enough t'challa outside of action sequences, when people said this political
I thought it would be like the BET motion comic, T'challa was far more an interesting character and so was the supporting cast.
It was cool for a superhero movie
not better than Meteor Man as a black film or superhero movie in all honesty. If black people rallied behind meteor man like this Robert Townsend who was a true boss and visionary would've built as a black film industry

You were highly anticipating the movie too. Must suck to be you right now in your own disappointment and missed interpretation of the movie. You one of the lost tribe, for real. It's no wonder you're (rightfully) in the Hall of Shame.

cornercommission2k12

so this were u dudes went
Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
:mjlol:people think Killmonger was right when his ass worked for the feds

the tribe of Jabari is the real nikkas of Wakanda :salute:
I didn't like how they basically made the black American revolutionary the enemy. Really played on that when he went into his ancestral realm and they had the public enemy and huey p newton posters in the background.

But at the same time, it's the same professor x vs magneto argument all over again. I did like how the movie brought a synthesis to them both at the end and let it be known we all family. Of course white America would love for us to go the way of diplomacy.

I think both answers are right. We need a Malcom x, and a dr king. It's all about when to employ them.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Just got back from watching it

Overall great movie. Won't say it's my favorite marvel movie but it Def was top 5 in my personal favs.

I love the way african customs and traditions were represented. I love how they exposed the world's ignorance to our ancient traditions. Acting was wonderful, story line was great. Humor wasn't over the top, developed characters you would like to see in other marvel movies.

Now what I didn't like

White guy there was just unnecessary. Throwing him in to appease a white audience, looked too blatant. Giving him a role in shooting down those ships was just awkward and forced. - Same white dude was in the books, soo...eh, I wouldn't say he was unnecessary. He had his purpose, which was to serve as an outsider into this new, unseen world. Which was part of his role in the books. The other part was wacky, white boy comic relief, which I'm glad they didn't play that part up.

I hated the relationship between the husband and wife. They was getting the butter biscuits and pancakes warmed up in that last fight scene. All the women in red rolling with the black panther, all the men in blue following orders but a entire fight with men vs women basically, yea wasn't feeling that. Fortunately the jabari tribe came in and redeemed it some. But I wasn't feeling that look, I wasn't feeling panther love interest protecting white guy. - Nakia's life was saved by him at the near expense of his own and he didn't even know her. Of course she would protect him back. Also, there wasn't anything that stated that Okoye and W'Kabi were actually married, just that they were lovers.

Small things, though, it's still Disney and Hollywood guess you can't expect perfect, I give it a A- minus for the slight tap dancing the movie did.

I know ya'll like to hate on whitey 24/7/365 up in here, but let's not just auto-assume just cuz someone's white in a black movie that it's only and all for tap-dancing. I mean, yeah, I can see the Token-ism aspect, but meh.

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Already posted my thoughts on the movie in the main thread:
--

Just watched the film in front of a predominantly African audience, in an African city.

[disclaimer: I am not under the impression that this is some revolutionary film, however it is definitely layered and more sophisticated than the average superhero movie. If you haven't watched the movie, then this post is definitely not for you.]

Firstly, the theater that I went to was packed out back to back. Even the IMAX tickets were sold out. It tells me that this movie is going to do some serious numbers internationally. :whoo:

Things I liked about the movie:

The allegory of Africa's hidden potential: On the surface, to the average man, Wakanda is merely a 3rd World country comprised mainly of farmers, but this belies the fact that is has the world's largest deposit of one of the most valuable mineral resources. It is Wakandan's who mine, harness and utilize said resource to advance their country and their people - away from external influence. Similarly, if African's got into more processing and manufacturing rather than simply extracting resources and selling them to the Western world and Asia, African economies would leap forward rapidly. Africa has the largest deposits of mineral resources anywhere in the world, but they are grossly mismanaged and still under the influence of foreign powers.

The allegory of a benevolent leader and unstable African governments: A prosperous and peaceful Wakanda is one where the people follow a single benevolent leader. Once there was a power vacuum after T'Chaka died, there was a challenge from the M'Baku, and this momentarily destabilized Wakanda. This was exacerbated when Killmonger came into power, and there then became people who followed the new ruler, and loyalists to T'Challa. When T'Challa finally usurped the position again, calm was restored. All of the Wakandans came back to respecting the rule of law. There are many examples of African countries that have gone through turmoil simply because the opposition wanted to take power by force, or the ruling party were simply corrupt or governing poorly.

The dichotomy of Africans on the continent and the black diaspora: I think this was generally the overall theme of the movie, and it came to a head I believe in Killmonger's final scene. There is a distrust of Africans (black people) of each other and this stems mainly from misunderstanding one another. Killmonger sought vengeance over T'Challa for the death of his father after he was killed (an allegory of Africans selling the descendants of African-Americans into slavery thereby creating a disconnect). Even Killmonger's father in the vision said that the Wakandan's would never accept him. From his point of view, the damage had already been done. Wakandans (or Africans in this case) view him as an outsider, meanwhile he sees the Wakandans as people that turned their back on the black diaspora (despite their vast wealth and resources). He feels as though they are not pulling their necessary weight in order to uplift the black population worldwide. It's actually quite deep when you begin to deconstruct it. :patrice:

The right balance of action, comedy and drama - A lot Marvel cash cows tend to be heavy on the comedy. The last Thor was basically a super-hero comedy movie. This however took a more serious turn, using a lot of social commentary, but still throwing in the comedy here and there while giving you a lot of action in the third Act. It's a movie that leaves you thinking, rather than a movie you forget as soon as you step out of the cinema.

I think they did a good job of capturing a lot nuanced things that you can only appreciate if you're African or interact with Africans - mostly in the dialogue. There are subtle gestures, remarks or even intonations that are so African that you can't help but laugh. When M'Banku ended a remark with "-o", which is in many respects a Nigerianism (if you've ever watched a Nollywood movie), the whole audience erupted. Even the boorish boer (white South African) was spot on. I think there was a general appreciation of the movie, and not many people left the cinema feeling like they were simply pandering to Africans. I think having largely an African and Afro-Caribbean cast helped in that.

Things I found interesting:

Wakanda was devoid of religiosity, instead there was a respect for tradition and ancestral lineage. As a Christian myself, I found it interesting to see an African nation devoid of the Abrahamic religions, but instead rely on traditions passed down from generation to generation. It was part of their pride. In African countries a lot of our traditions are being replaced by Westernism.

Things I didn't like about the movie:

Not much here. I think it's probably the best Marvel movie to date. I think they oversold the Oakland in Killmonger though. The character was great, but they could have toned down that aspect of him, although that has to do with Ryan Coogler more than anything.
There is a religion there. It was the spiritual traditional religion.