Official Biden vs. Trump 2020 General Election Thread (Biden WINS 306 Electoral College Votes)

Who wins?

• Joe Biden, Vice President of the USA (2009-2017)

Votes: 440 81.6%
  • Donald Trump, President of the USA (2017-present)

Votes: 99 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
5ecc029c2500008e1feb213f.jpeg

Did Trump really give more money to hbcus than Obama? I haven't looked it up

no.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just in case yall wanted a comparison between Biden and Hillary to this point.

And has far calling GA a swing state...:banderas:

What a political coup it would be if Georgia and Texas become battleground states.

Trump was the last hurrah for these retrograde whites. I can’t wait to see the what the political landscape looks like 2024 and beyond.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What a political coup it would be if Georgia and Texas become battleground states.

Trump was the last hurrah for these retrograde whites. I can’t wait to see the what the political landscape looks like 2024 and beyond.
you know what the republicans are gonna do? they're gonna try to pass some fukkin law where the electors can ignore the votes of their state and vote however they want :dead: i've been realizing this lately, with all this talk of texas flipping, etc. they won't just go quietly

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Did Trump really give more money to hbcus than Obama? I haven't looked it up

While Trump has maintained policies that benefit HBCUs, it’s hard to quantify a president’s success in this area, Toldson said. Congress and federal agencies like the Department of Education are largely responsible for policies that fund these institutions.

“With presidents, the only thing they can do is not obstruct Congress and not try to actively prevent anything they’re interested in funding,” he said.

Plus, by some measures, support for HBCUs has actually decreased under Trump.

For example, since 2016, federal funding for scientific research at HBCUs dropped by 17 percent, according to a 2019 report from the National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics.

Toldson suggested this is in part because of Trump’s decision to move the Initiative on HBCUs back to the White House, instead of leaving it under the auspices of the Department of Education. While Trump praised the decision to move the Initiative to the White House “where it belongs,” Toldson said it “politicizes” the Initiative and distances HBCUs from the agencies that fund them.

“What HBCUs need is a fair playing field when competing for research dollars,” he said.

Meanwhile, Trump claimed in his speech that he increased federal funding to HBCUs by a “record” 13 percent, “the highest ever done.” But Dillard University President Dr. Walter M. Kimbrough said that’s not quite accurate. He pointed out that Trump’s percentage isn’t just money given directly to institutions. It includes loans, as well as capital finance loan deferment for 13 HBCUs.

“The overall budget has increased but most of that increase is borrowing capacity,” he said. “It’s going to have to be paid back.”

At the same time, Trump’s speech neglected to mention decisions not directly related to HBCUs that harmed them, he added.

For example, changes to Upward Bound, a federal TRIO program which provides college preparation for low-income families, caused a third of HBCUs with Upward Bound programs to lose them, including Dillard. Also, the Federal Perkins Loan program expired, phasing out low-interest federal student loans to low-income students, which helped HBCUs and other schools.

“Those are the things that we’re not talking about that happened,” said Kimbrough.

But the biggest elephant in the room during Trump’s remarks was the Fostering Undergraduate Talent by Unlocking Resources for Education Act or FUTURE Act, which just passed in the U.S. House of Representatives and will soon head to the Senate.

This legislation would renew $255 million in annual funding for HBCUs and other minority serving institutions. The $850 million program initiated under Obama funded HBCUs for ten years. The funding is set to expire on Sept. 30th.

Is the Trump Administration Really “Bigger and Better” for HBCUs?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan