Official Attack On Titan Season 4 Thread

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
the last part improved a lot of little things that people were irked about, but still had the narrative weaknesses that I personally felt were bad.

I had posts on it before so I won't get into detail, but ymir's motivations and agency just being given a giant shrug and pass by still remains egregious. the specific way zeke got turned, past titan users breaking free of control with no explanation etc etc...

I'm still slightly confused on why the manga ending got such a bad reception though. isayama didn't stick the landing, but I still felt it was satisfactory and not an off the rails demolition that something like game of thrones got.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
the last part improved a lot of little things that people were irked about, but still had the narrative weaknesses that I personally felt were bad.

I had posts on it before so I won't get into detail, but ymir's motivations and agency just being given a giant shrug and pass by still remains egregious. the specific way zeke got turned, past titan users breaking free of control with no explanation etc etc...

I'm still slightly confused on why the manga ending got such a bad reception though. isayama didn't stick the landing, but I still felt it was satisfactory and not an off the rails demolition that something like game of thrones got.
I think it's the simple fact of an epic story's ending won't satisfy everybody. I do feel there was some character assassination done at the end and they could've better executed things in the last third. However, I think the overarching story of humanity are violent by nature, and there will always be something to cause conflict. We pretty much see even without Titans humans are still going to be in conflict

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Lemme sleep before I start spazzing out :mjlol:

That ending only "worked" because character motivations were fukked with :damn:

GO TO SLEEP AFRO :damn:

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
This was an improvement over the manga but I liked the manga. Critics were either saying the manga promote fascism or Eren was right. Thats like saying "full metal jacket" is a pro military film or an anti war film....which are real life takes.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile

It's way harder to take the non answers, hand waving and character changes when you get very little snippets of the bigger plot once a month. I think a lot manga readers (I include myself here) were very compelled to the "why" of a lot of the stuff that Isayama presented. Specially because after years of asking ourselves about the "what"s (wtf is going, what are the titans, what are the walls, what kind of world is this in, etc.) we finally got the answers but were left with even more questions about the hows and whys. So when you waited years and during a huge part of the story it really seemed like the author had it figured out and he was going to give us said answers, getting a "those things don't really matter, I wont even bother answering them. What really matters is the bigger message about humanity" ending is much more difficult to embrace.

The anime doesn't change much of anything of the explanations (and non explanations) we got in the manga, but it's presented in just 1 movie with dope animation and action. In my case there's also a lack of attachment at this point after getting so disappointed by the manga's ending (as breh above said, an epic story with a bleh ending) so the anime left a much better taste, even though it had the same problems as the source material.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Great ending :ehh:

The cycle continues though, conflict never stops.

Why did Reiner have to sniff Historia's letter though???

StackUp

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NJ
It's way harder to take the non answers, hand waving and character changes when you get very little snippets of the bigger plot once a month. I think a lot manga readers (I include myself here) were very compelled to the "why" of a lot of the stuff that Isayama presented. Specially because after years of asking ourselves about the "what"s (wtf is going, what are the titans, what are the walls, what kind of world is this in, etc.) we finally got the answers but were left with even more questions about the hows and whys. So when you waited years and during a huge part of the story it really seemed like the author had it figured out and he was going to give us said answers, getting a "those things don't really matter, I wont even bother answering them. What really matters is the bigger message about humanity" ending is much more difficult to embrace.

The anime doesn't change much of anything of the explanations (and non explanations) we got in the manga, but it's presented in just 1 movie with dope animation and action. In my case there's also a lack of attachment at this point after getting so disappointed by the manga's ending (as breh above said, an epic story with a bleh ending) so the anime left a much better taste, even though it had the same problems as the source material.
this may be a silly question or maybe i'm trying to make excuses for the creator but..

do you think he may have run out of time to develop a proper ending? (i.e deadlines, studio pressure etc?) it felt super rushed and condensed to me

this was a near perfect anime imho.. this ending ALMOST gives me TLOU2 vibes

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
this may be a silly question or maybe i'm trying to make excuses for the creator but..

do you think he may have run out of time to develop a proper ending? (i.e deadlines, studio pressure etc?) it felt super rushed and condensed to me

this was a near perfect anime imho.. this ending ALMOST gives me TLOU2 vibes
I don't know breh. He might've put too much pressure on himself, but I don't think it was because of editorial or anyone telling him he needed to wrap shyt up. He did some interviews before and after finishing the manga and dude was clearly very worried about how the ending would be received. He even used GOT as an example of what he wouldn't do with this series (which is kinda funny considering some people made that comparison when it was all said and done, I still contend AOT ending, while very bleh, was better than GOT's by a considerable margin) .

I think some authors -and specially in manga- get overwhelmed, overworked and rush to the ending at some point because they just want to let shyt go and move on.

What I can assure you didn't happen is that the studios pressured him because by the time Mappa took AOT from Wit, the manga was already in the last arc (I think the Rumbling had already started). In fact, a lot of fans deluded themselves into thinking Isayama was going to change the manga ending in the anime because he would have more time to figure out a better way to wrap everything up.

Last edited:

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
It seemed a whole lot better than how it was presented in the manga. The animation, expressive emotion and music really helped it. the cursed cycle of never ending torment and hate was executed better in the anime.

Daps
credits

so down the line in the future ... the world NUKES them? smh

guess humans gonna find a way to do this in perpetuity