Official Ant-Man Movie Thread

Conz

Superstar
Daps
there was definitely way too much exposition in the dialogue in this movie, but common folk are fukkin retards who need everyting spelled out for them.

the Pena redemption scene was fine, but the fact he had to say aloud "oh man, i gotta save that guy" or whatever bothered me too. like him stopping, doing the "ah shyt, i forgot something" face then dragging the guy out wouldnt have gotten the point across? and while i liked mostly everything he did... when he punched that guy out and said something like "that's just an unfortunate thing to happen in this situation" or whatever... man, that was bad. Not as bad as Avon Barksdales "that's a weird looking dog" though.

Edgar Wright would have directed the living fukk out of this movie. every little scene would have had his trademark editing. even dumb small shyt like Luis making waffles would have been cool. he would have showed rapid shots of his pouring batter, opening the waffle iron, putting on the whipped cream, etc.
Scott putting on the suit would have been much better. Shots like him in the back of the cop car trying to put the helmet on while handcuffed would have looked 100x better.

but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Reed did fine. That's like asking a minor league to step in for a HOFer. It's unfair to hold that against him. Yup, i consider Edgar Wright one of the best filmmakers in the world... easily.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
there was definitely way too much exposition in the dialogue in this movie, but common folk are fukkin retards who need everyting spelled out for them.

the Pena redemption scene was fine, but the fact he had to say aloud "oh man, i gotta save that guy" or whatever bothered me too. like him stopping, doing the "ah shyt, i forgot something" face then dragging the guy out wouldnt have gotten the point across? and while i liked mostly everything he did... when he punched that guy out and said something like "that's just an unfortunate thing to happen in this situation" or whatever... man, that was bad. Not as bad as Avon Barksdales "that's a weird looking dog" though.

Edgar Wright would have directed the living fukk out of this movie. every little scene would have had his trademark editing. even dumb small shyt like Luis making waffles would have been cool. he would have showed rapid shots of his pouring batter, opening the waffle iron, putting on the whipped cream, etc.
Scott putting on the suit would have been much better. Shots like him in the back of the cop car trying to put the helmet on while handcuffed would have looked 100x better.

but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Reed did fine. That's like asking a minor league to step in for a HOFer. It's unfair to hold that against him. Yup, i consider Edgar Wright one of the best filmmakers in the world... easily.
Based off of what?! World's End, Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead?! Wow. They are good movies but come on.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Based off of what?! World's End, Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead?! Wow. They are good movies but come on.
absolutely. I think he's one of the 5 best filmmakers in the world right now.

no comedic director on the planet has the level of detail he does, and the editing is some of the best in the biz. There are like 10 things you can pinpoint in every shot. There are things in the background of scenes during jokes in dialogue that actually elevate the joke. You need to watch an Edgar Wright movie 5 times to notice his attention to detail. Scott Pilgrim is an amazing looking, and incredibly edited movie... but for some reason it doesn't get it's due.

He's also an amazing writer.

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

no comedic director on the planet has the level of detail he does, and the editing is some of the best in the biz. There are like 10 things you can pinpoint in every shot. There are things in the background of scenes during jokes in dialogue that actually elevate the joke. You need to watch an Edgar Wright movie 5 times to notice his attention to detail. Scott Pilgrim is an amazing looking, and incredibly edited movie... but for some reason it doesn't get it's due.

You do know that:
Martin Scorcese
David Fincher
Quentin Tarantino
The Coen Brothers
Chris Nolan
Paul Thomas Anderson
David O. Russell
Alejandro Inarritu
Ang Lee
Wes Anderson
Steven Spielberg
Are all still working right?! Just curious, who do you think he outranks on this list?

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi

agree with the basic premise of your posts concerning edgar wright. and i do enjoy his films with pegg. and i actually could imagine that waffle scene being funny :heh:

but the pretentiousness dripping from that youtube video :banderas: thats why people hate film critics and film people in general, when they try and shove down your throat what is good and whats not. whats funny and whats not. what you should enjoy and what you shouldnt. everybody's different, stop hating. and the funny thing is the dude that made the video would just get mad if more people directed like wright because they'd be biting his style/being unoriginal.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
that would just be my opinion. tough to really rank, so maybe my "top 5" comment is something that can't really be backed up or a bit of hyperbole... i wouldn't even know how to really pit one against another to be honest.

that being said, in terms of "Hype." im much more excited about an Edgar Wright movie coming out than everyone on that list except maybe the first 2. and I'll see every movie by every guy you listed.

David O Russell can lick my balls though. Fighter is cool, Four Kings is criminally underrated, but you can keep the rest of his catalog. I've only recently learned to appreciate Wes Anderson. PTA isn't anywhere near my favorite to be honest. I find Nolan movies to be an absolute slog but i can't deny his talent. I've only seen one Inarritu movie. Edgar Wright's comic book movie would have smoked Ang Lee's (but i loved his use of comic page transitions) I don't love every Coen movie like the rest of the world. I wouldn't even discuss how QT isn't one of my idols b/c that's like saying the earth is flat apparently. I legit don't remember Spielberg's last directed movie i saw, probably Indy 4...

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I take back my comment - I believe Edgar Wright is one of the top 15 best filmmakers working... but the fukker doesn't work enough

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
that would just be my opinion. tough to really rank, so maybe my "top 5" comment is something that can't really be backed up or a bit of hyperbole... i wouldn't even know how to really pit one against another to be honest.

that being said, in terms of "Hype." im much more excited about an Edgar Wright movie coming out than everyone on that list except maybe the first 2. and I'll see every movie by every guy you listed.

David O Russell can lick my balls though. Fighter is cool, Four Kings is criminally underrated, but you can keep the rest of his catalog. I've only recently learned to appreciate Wes Anderson. PTA isn't anywhere near my favorite to be honest. I find Nolan movies to be an absolute slog but i can't deny his talent. I've only seen one Inarritu movie. Edgar Wright's comic book movie would have smoked Ang Lee's (but i loved his use of comic page transitions) I don't love every Coen movie like the rest of the world. I wouldn't even discuss how QT isn't one of my idols b/c that's like saying the earth is flat apparently. I legit don't remember Spielberg's last directed movie i saw, probably Indy 4...
I appreciate the candor. I usually don't like going at other posters about their personal tastes/preferences. That was just way left. I understand being more excited for one directors work over others you might consider objectively better.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
agree with the basic premise of your posts concerning edgar wright. and i do enjoy his films with pegg. and i actually could imagine that waffle scene being funny :heh:

but the pretentiousness dripping from that youtube video :banderas: thats why people hate film critics and film people in general, when they try and shove down your throat what is good and whats not. whats funny and whats not. what you should enjoy and what you shouldnt. everybody's different, stop hating. and the funny thing is the dude that made the video would just get mad if more people directed like wright because they'd be biting his style/being unoriginal.
Dripping? It was gushing out like water out of a broken dam.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Just saw it, thought it was kinda meh although the big fight against Yellowjacket was very, very good. So much of the movie is just 'there' though, and I lay most of that blame on Reed's so-so direction. Capable but unlike the Russo's unfortunately nothing more than that. Rudd was fine but he too couldn't uplift his role so at the end Scott's just kinda there as well. Douglas was great though and I really liked Stoll because despite his character being underdeveloped he really brought out the most of it and managed to feel intimidating.

Regarding the goofy sidekicks, while Pena was funny I couldn't care for TI or the other dude at all. Those two were complete dead weight, and speaking of that, I didn't care for the scene with you-know-who at all. Not as a tie-in and certainly not as an action scene because outside of their first meeting ("I can see you!") it fell completely flat. Just a sloppy, uninspired fight scene with a piss-poor ending. And speaking of sloppy:

I just shook my head when Pym got shot and Scott was kneeling in front of him as the Hydra guy just ran off with the vial of Yellowjacket particles and Cross went over to the briefcase with the Yellowjacket suit and shyt in it, picked it up, and ran out as well, all while Scott was still bent over Pym being busy with not giving a fukk. It's that one rare moment in a movie where absolutely nothing worked.

I was already going to bring that up but since you mentioned it,that scene had me like :deadmanny: because it was so blatant. I mean, in AoU it made sense since they're heroes and trying to save people and shyt. Here they got this half-ass slow-dumb Mexican burglar stop in the middle of tracks like "Wait, that guy!" and pull him out. It reminded me of the scene in Ang Lee's Hulk where he fought the army in the desert and there are constantly shots of guys climbing out of the tanks and ejecting from jets and shyt to show nobody was harmed in all that fighting. But the security guard save was particularly funny to me because it totally ignored that Pena's character also knocked out the security boss guy, who I'm left to presume was still unconscious laying in the building somewhere.

Side-note: the whole movie I thought it was weird that Pym with his pacifist non-war mentality had a tank keychain so when that moment happened I was like :krs:. Low-key (get it, keeeeyyyy) my favorite moment of the movie.

Side-note 2: that CGI on young Douglas was indeed scary good.

Final conclusion: It was aight but it clearly needed a guy like Wright to make it tight because as it was now a lot just didn't feel right up until the start of the final fight which was great fun and not a sordid sight.... unlike fukking Man Of Steel!

:mjpls:

:ufdup:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I take back my comment - I believe Edgar Wright is one of the top 15 best filmmakers working... but the fukker doesn't work enough
i do enjoy his quirks, same reason i like wes anderson. i wouldnt be mad if you ranked him top 5, who gives a :duck: , its your list.

i only get :whoa: if people try to push their opinions on other people or downplay what they prefer

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yeah I feel Wright would've gave it a polish with his style. I couldn't help think of Lex Luther everytime Cross appeared :laugh:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

We're going to pretend that's not what he was?
Wk0VcKy.png