Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
Just got the RAZR HD max and threw my incredible 2 in the bushes. This is night and day.got 2 weeks to see if I want to keep or give back and go with the s3.

why would you pick the razr maxx over the gs3. shyt makes no sense at all :damn:

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
Download: Latest Google Play Store 3.9.17
com.android.vending_3.9.17.apk ::. | by Android Police for Generic Device

What's New

Upon closer inspection and analysis, I found a new set of XXHDPI 144x144px icons for tablets with similar to the Nexus 10 high density as well as some changes to the code for recommendations and Play Store widgets, though I couldn't pinpoint the exact differences in those. Visually, the widgets seemed the same. The new icons account for the 120K bump in size compared to 3.9.16.

There could be other minor or under-the-hood changes that I haven't discovered yet. If you do find them, drop us a line in the comments.

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
Great Read

The Nexus Line and VoLTE...Why it Matters

I know some are still having a hissy fit about Josh's 8.3 score of the Nexus 4, but hey it is what it is and we will get over it. However it is the move that Google had to make because Google has a plan under it's sleaves it has been working on since Verizon bought all that tasty LTE Spectrum

First lets talk about LTE

Verizon won the C Block spectrum in March of 2008, bringing the rise of LTE and crazy data speeds on are mobile devices. Everyone was like Google might get into the mobile business as they were bidding on the Spectrum, when in all reality they were setting the reserve price to ensure Open-Access to that block of Spectrum. Verizon won, we have LTE, and the rest is history.

So What Happened to Open Access?

Open Access is still a provision. Which is probably the reason Verizon never really came after folks who rooted their phones and used wireless tethering apps. They were actually fined for trying to block these apps in the Play Store, so the Open Access provisions are alive and kicking. This makes some people wonder why is this a problem then? Because Verizon still uses CDMA for voice services. They basically have an hybrid LTE CDMA model. So in turn they are still allowed to lock down their phones due to the need of CDMA. Updates for the Galaxy Nexus is more of an issue because VZW requires all this rigorous testing for their CDMA network, not necessarily the LTE network.

So VoLTE?

VoLTE is basically Voice carried over your data connection. For Verizon it means it will not have to provide both a LTE and CDMA chip in their phones. Phones will only need a LTE chip and in theory, you will no longer need a voice plan because everything including voice calls are transferred over data. It also means the Open-Access rules are now in full effect, so Verizon cannot lock down phones on the basis of it still needing a CDMA chip. LTE is currently being trialed by Verizon in select cities with plans for Nationwide roll out in 2013.

What it Means for Google and Nexus

Google's Nexus line will easily be able to do a unlocked LTE version for Verizon due to the Open-Access provisions which went into effect purely based on Google's huge opening bid in 2008. With no CDMA, Verizon will no longer have control because of those provisions enforced by the FCC. I'm sure Google wanted to work with Verizon, but they also new that soon Verizon will have no choice. Once VoLTE goes nation wide, expect an unlocked LTE Nexus using this technology, probably priced about $100 more than the GSM version.

All this matters because VoLTE is the future of mobile phones. I think we will soon start seeing purely data plans being available for users to use with both Voice and Data. Google though has done something smart. They have set the price for a high quality unlocked device, and they have set that price low. I imagine a the next Nexus will support VoLTE on Verizon, it will be unlocked, and will cost $400 compared to an unlocked GSM version for $350, as LTE licensing cost a lot more. This will also allow Google to build the device as they want to with Updates coming directly from Google and Carriers being removed completely from the process

So I see these things happening within the Mobile world in the next 2 years

VoLTE going live nationwide within a year
Unlimited Data Plans making their way back
Unlocked Better priced Contract Free Mobile devices. No more $650 Off contract phone
More competition, with more and more customers becoming month to month non contract users

So yes I was besides myself about Josh's review, and I do wish that Google had a LTE Nexus available, but Google is working on something and I think next year we will see the beginning of a change to the mobile industry for the better. So just Chillax, the time of carriers forcing their hand will soon come to an end.

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
Samsung touts 30 million Galaxy S III sales worldwide

gs3.jpg

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
What you getting off this list. I want the nexus 10 and Nexus 4.

Nexus 4 8GB: $299, available November 13th
Nexus 4 16GB: $349, available November 13th
Nexus 10 16GB: $399, available November 13th
Nexus 10 32GB: $499, available November 13th
New Nexus 7 16GB price: $199, now back in stock
Nexus 7 32GB: $249, available immediately
Nexus 7 32GB with 3G HSPA+: $299, available November 13th

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
...only the verge...one of the most respected tech sites on the web

Google Nexus 4 review | The Verge

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3

Josh is pissed off about no LTE. He has a galaxy nexus and wanted to upgrade. He is using a AT&T sim card and got 8MBPS while im on LTE AND GET 10 mbps. T-mobile HSPA+ network is 2x faster than AT&T's network. The main issue with these review is that they are reviewing an October version of the software :snoop:

Ill wait till the final version is released to speak on anything software related. This was a major upgrade over JB 4.1.2 because it brought so many security features.

Read this
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...imer-opens-up-about-4-2s-new-security-system/

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Josh is pissed off about no LTE. He has a galaxy nexus and wanted to upgrade. He is using a AT&T sim card and got 8MBPS while im on LTE AND GET 10 mbps. T-mobile HSPA+ network is 2x faster than AT&T's network. The main issue with these review is that they are reviewing an October version of the software :snoop:

Ill wait till the final version is released to speak on anything software related. This was a major upgrade over JB 4.1.2 because it brought so many security features.

Read this
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...imer-opens-up-about-4-2s-new-security-system/

I hear you but I get 30 on let with my gs3...I feel his pain. That's literally 5x as fast as what he was getting...It would be hard for me to go back too let's be real.

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
I hear you but I get 30 on let with my gs3...I feel his pain. That's literally 5x as fast as what he was getting...It would be hard for me to go back too let's be real.

what you don't understand we prefer nexus>>> LTE. I can live with HSPA+ speeds. Nexus is googles baby and we want to enjoy quick updates. So in June when android 5.0 drops we will be :eat: few days later

Daps
Reppin
NULL
what you don't understand we prefer nexus>>> LTE. I can live with HSPA+ speeds. Nexus is googles baby and we want to enjoy quick updates. So in June when android 5.0 drops we will be :eat: few days later

Lol@we...you on Verizon aint you? How do you know you prefer hspa ? You got a phone on T-Mobile?

Tha Snowman

Rookie
Daps

In a perfect, upgraded service area, T-Mobile is fast. The problem is those are few and far between. Plus, T-Mobile uses high wavelength spectrum, which penetrates walls for shyt, compounding the problem. And AT&T won't be upgrading their hspa+ since they've started going LTE. That 700 mhz LTE (vzw, at&t) is where it's at.

If you live in a great T-Mobile area and don't travel, awesome. Many people, myself included, are just shocked that Google would not include an LTE version. They've been pushing the technology boundary this whole time, and this just feels like a step back. That's the main issue I think.

I feel like come the first of the year they'll try to do something for nexus fans on big red. We'll see.

BigDan

V.I.P. Member
Daps
Reppin
Oregon
Can you guys give me some info on refurbed phones from at&t. I just saw a gs3 refurbed for $50 on there website. I have gotten a refurbed phone from them before but it wasn't a smartphone so I was just wondering if they are worth it to get used because I don't got a few hundred bucks for a brand new one.

Tha Snowman

Rookie
Daps
Can you guys give me some info on refurbed phones from at&t. I just saw a gs3 refurbed for $50 on there website. I have gotten a refurbed phone from them before but it wasn't a smartphone so I was just wondering if they are worth it to get used because I don't got a few hundred bucks for a brand new one.

I assume that's with a contract. But it should be fine. Should come with the same warranty, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
In a perfect, upgraded service area, T-Mobile is fast. The problem is those are few and far between. Plus, T-Mobile uses high wavelength spectrum, which penetrates walls for shyt, compounding the problem. And AT&T won't be upgrading their hspa+ since they've started going LTE. That 700 mhz LTE (vzw, at&t) is where it's at.

If you live in a great T-Mobile area and don't travel, awesome. Many people, myself included, are just shocked that Google would not include an LTE version. They've been pushing the technology boundary this whole time, and this just feels like a step back. That's the main issue I think.

I feel like come the first of the year they'll try to do something for nexus fans on big red. We'll see.

Did you not hear Google say they want to control their phone updates. Nexus phones don't belong on cdma carriers makes no sense

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2