Official 2024 Oscars Thread

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
I don’t know why people hate Bradley Cooper so much. He’s a genuinely talented actor-director
Because he's trying too hard, his desperation is palpable and off putting. When an actor specifically chooses projects with awards in mind it usually backfires. Remember when Tom Cruise tried to win an Oscar with that Lions for Lambs bullshyt :mjlol:

I'm sure that in a few more years, after Bradley Cooper has been sufficiently humiliated, there will be a redemption arc. He'll receive an Oscar for a subpar role instead of someone more deserving that year, and everyone will cheer him on. It's a classic Hollywood story. :manny:

Yet, despite six years studying how conductors’ arms move (up, down, side to side), not sitting, and developing an emotional attachment to Bernstein so powerful that his spirit moves the director to cry, Cooper has lost every major acting award that he’s been up for this past year. That wouldn’t be an issue if Cooper didn’t seem to care so much.

If Cooper is finding out in real time that Hollywood doesn’t care how hard you work, he is also learning, in real time, another cold truth: There are few things people love to dislike more than an actor who talks endlessly about how hard they work.

The awards show circuit has galvanized the chortling and “get a load of this guy” quips during the Maestro press tour into mildly malicious glee at watching Cooper lose prize after prize. Screencaps of Cooper’s reaction after losing to Cillian Murphy at the Golden Globes and the SAGs have gone viral. Of course, no one but Cooper knows what’s going on in Cooper’s brain after these losses. But given the rounds he’s done in the media and spontaneous crying, his haters have created their own popular narrative about how much this must hurt a man who wants all the awards so bad.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Because he's trying too hard, his desperation is palpable and off putting. When an actor specifically chooses projects with awards in mind it usually backfires. Remember when Tom Cruise tried to win an Oscar with that Lions for Lambs bullshyt :mjlol:

I'm sure that in a few more years, after Bradley Cooper has been sufficiently humiliated, there will be a redemption arc. He'll receive an Oscar for a subpar role instead of someone more deserving that year, and everyone will cheer him on. It's a classic Hollywood story. :manny:

Its asinine to say that somebody is “trying too hard” at their job. ESPECIALLY acting, where trying hard to perfect your craft is LITERALLY how one sustains a career over thousands of other people gunning for the same roles and opportunities. Many people have never not nor will ever know what it takes to write, act, direct, or produce a film project, let alone do all four at once. You’ve literally got to have the confidence and discipline of a Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant to successfully pull it off. And no matter what they say, EVERYONE nominated wants to win, whether they play too cool for school or not, they all want it. Bradley is no exception

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t know why people hate Bradley Cooper so much. He’s a genuinely talented actor-director

I'm not sure that it's a thing, at least for this cycle, where they don't like him as much as it is that the movie just wasn't good enough to warrant all he was talking about that he did for the role.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
As for Bradley Cooper: At least he's been nominated a few times. Jim Carrey tried for years to get a nomination and for some reason which miffs me to this very day, he never has and probably will never get one. Talking through his ass in Ace Ventura really turned the Academy off from him.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Poor things worth it?
Yes, go in blind. As absurd as the film gets, it still has a nice charm to it.

Overall…he’s cool, but his campaign for Maestro was try-hard as fukk. Sitting beside Leonard’s kids and fronting as if he actually knew the guy was a choice, lmao.

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Al Pacino has issued a statement amid questions surrounding his appearance during the 2024 Oscars ceremony, where he awkwardly presented the best picture category. Pacino, who won an Academy Award for best actor in “Scent of a Woman,” did not list any of this year’s 10 nominees for best picture. Instead, he simply opened the envelope and said: “And my eyes see ‘Oppenheimer.’”

“There seems to be some controversy about my not mentioning every film by name last night before announcing the best picture award,” Pacino said in a statement. “I just want to be clear it was not my intention to omit them, rather a choice by the producers not to have them said again since they were highlighted individually throughout the ceremony. I was honored to be a part of the evening and chose to follow the way they wished for this award to be presented.”

Pacino continued, “I realize being nominated is a huge milestone in one’s life and to not be fully recognized is offensive and hurtful. I say this as someone who profoundly relates with filmmakers, actors and producers so I deeply empathize with those who have been slighted by this oversight and it’s why I felt it necessary to make this statement. ”

Oscars producer Molly McNearney also told Variety in an interview after the Oscars that “it was a creative decision” not to have Pacino list all 10 best picture nominees before announcing the winner. The reason? The creative team was “very worried that the show was going to be long” and clips from all 10 best picture nominees had already played throughout the ceremony.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I am not watching Oppenheimer any time soon but glad Cillian Murphy won.
Breh is a star, Check out Red Eye, that movie was really great.

Happy Cord Jefferson won for American Fiction, hope this means he gets more projects.