Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Honestly on some level I wish we could move on, not gonna lie. Not because I'm concerned he can't learn a new offense or that Ben Johnson is the reason he's playing well. He's a pro/vet, I assume he can perform in a competent system with a good OC. I'm just hesitant about paying him a massive contract when we have a rookie who COULD open up an offense more and save us a lot of money. Any team regression with Goff is going to feel worse too. Look at Seattle right now. Geno had a similar revival season last year, got paid, and is struggling this year. A team I assumed could content for a SB looks like it may not even make the playoffs. Should Seattle have paid Geno? Yes. They didn't have another option. But I feel like we do. It's a gamble, and it would probably start the clock on Holmes/Campbell if they got it wrong. But I'd personally take the risk if they feel like Hooker is the guy.

Do I think any of this will happen? No. We'll pay Goff, and frankly we have the cap space going forward to do it. I'm just saying three years of rookie contract Hooker would be even better for the cap, re-sign more guys, and pursue noteworthy FAs if needed.
I would think Holmes will have to make up his mind before free agency and the draft. When Kirk signs his new contract, that's gonna reset the market. Goof and his agent will be justified saying he should get more. Cousins played better this season, but Goof is six years younger and squarely in the prime of his career. He helped lead the Lions out of the depths of hell and is having a really good season. 4th in yards, 8th in TDs, 8th in quarterback rating and he never misses games.

Hooker's practicing right now. If they fall in love with him and think he can step in and produce right away, they should be able to get at least two firsts for Goff. New Orleans and Atlanta are two dome teams that desperately need a QB. Even if Kirk signs with one, the other will need a QB and then that would throw the Vikings into the picture too.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Honestly on some level I wish we could move on, not gonna lie. Not because I'm concerned he can't learn a new offense or that Ben Johnson is the reason he's playing well. He's a pro/vet, I assume he can perform in a competent system with a good OC. I'm just hesitant about paying him a massive contract when we have a rookie who COULD open up an offense more and save us a lot of money. Any team regression with Goff is going to feel worse too. Look at Seattle right now. Geno had a similar revival season last year, got paid, and is struggling this year. A team I assumed could content for a SB looks like it may not even make the playoffs. Should Seattle have paid Geno? Yes. They didn't have another option. But I feel like we do. It's a gamble, and it would probably start the clock on Holmes/Campbell if they got it wrong. But I'd personally take the risk if they feel like Hooker is the guy.

Do I think any of this will happen? No. We'll pay Goff, and frankly we have the cap space going forward to do it. I'm just saying three years of rookie contract Hooker would be even better for the cap, re-sign more guys, and pursue noteworthy FAs if needed.
Goff been good longer than Geno. You right though Seattle stuck with Geno for lack of better options at the time.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I would think Holmes will have to make up his mind before free agency and the draft. When Kirk signs his new contract, that's gonna reset the market. Goof and his agent will be justified saying he should get more. Cousins played better this season, but Goof is six years younger and squarely in the prime of his career. He helped lead the Lions out of the depths of hell and is having a really good season. 4th in yards, 8th in TDs, 8th in quarterback rating and he never misses games.

Hooker's practicing right now. If they fall in love with him and think he can step in and produce right away, they should be able to get at least two firsts for Goff. New Orleans and Atlanta are two dome teams that desperately need a QB. Even if Kirk signs with one, the other will need a QB and then that would throw the Vikings into the picture too.

I seriously doubt we get two 1st for a 30 year old QB but a 1st and a late round pick swap seems doable. Which would be an incredible flip to be honest. I just don't think Holmes would do it. Maybe he's been rocking the greatest poker face ever but the impression I get is that he really fukks with Goff and thinks he's the guy long term. But if he says "thanks for the NFC North title" and trades him for a 1st I'd be blown away (in a good way). Ballsy as fukk, could blow up but the resources (draft picks, cap space) could open up a Niners-type window for us.

I assume Goff is going to want a contract before the 2024 season starts though. There was a report awhile ago that his camp doesn't want to play on that last year of the current deal with no new deal in place, which is understandable. Even moreso with the threat of Hooker walking into training camp next year looking like the real deal. We'll see what happens. Prob will revisit this soon. If we win the division and win a playoff game? Sure Goff gets the deal for sure. If this team starts sputtering, the turnovers pile up again, we lose the north and sputter into a wild card playoff L? Then maybe then it'll be time to have that convo.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I seriously doubt we get two 1st for a 30 year old QB but a 1st and a late round pick swap seems doable. Which would be an incredible flip to be honest. I just don't think Holmes would do it. Maybe he's been rocking the greatest poker face ever but the impression I get is that he really fukks with Goff and thinks he's the guy long term. But if he says "thanks for the NFC North title" and trades him for a 1st I'd be blown away (in a good way). Ballsy as fukk, could blow up but the resources (draft picks, cap space) could open up a Niners-type window for us.

I assume Goff is going to want a contract before the 2024 season starts though. There was a report awhile ago that his camp doesn't want to play on that last year of the current deal with no new deal in place, which is understandable. Even moreso with the threat of Hooker walking into training camp next year looking like the real deal. We'll see what happens. Prob will revisit this soon. If we win the division and win a playoff game? Sure Goff gets the deal for sure. If this team starts sputtering, the turnovers pile up again, we lose the north and sputter into a wild card playoff L? Then maybe then it'll be time to have that convo.
Did you forget the Russell Wilson trade? Denver traded two firsts, two seconds a fifth and three players for Russ and a fourth when he was 33.

There's maybe 20 or so competent quarterbacks in the league and Goof is one of them.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
There is no world where Holmes trades Goff if Goff finishes as an above average qb. He is our guy unless there’s a meltdown. It’s crazy how this keeps coming up. We literally have a QB that is going to the playoffs with a franchise that never does and we want to hand the keys to a guy that couldn’t win the SEC because he can run :mjlol:

I get coaching him up and if one day Goff doesn’t live up to his next contract making the move. I don’t get not resigning Goff or trading Goff to avoid paying him.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Did you forget the Russell Wilson trade? Denver traded two firsts, two seconds a fifth and three players for Russ and a fourth when he was 33.

There's maybe 20 or so competent quarterbacks in the league and Goof is one of them.

Totally forgot that, you're right.

New Goff contract will impact the cap next year, which should be around 60mil. The Jonah Jackson thing will prob be the biggest FA decision outside of Goff. He's played really well but maybe they go in another direction, who knows. Also we might get the Amon Ra re-signing next year too. He'll still be under contract like Goff, but they prob extend him before training camp starts. Perhaps Alim gets his deal next year too. Those guys (Goff, St Brown, Alim) are clearly some of the biggest foundational guys based on what Holmes/Campbell say. Then the year after the next foundational piece, Sewell, will get an insane contract. Dude is prob gonna be all-pro this year.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We not playing good at all bros, this is worrying! Looks like we're trending down instead of trending forward.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
The bears built a time machine and grabbed prime Mick Vick for this game :patrice:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aaron Glenn desereves his share of criticism but guys got to make plays. Its been too many times this season where they haven't finished sacks