Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Gotta give Goff credit for a couple great plays outside of structure, scrambling and making a throw (and I'm counting that one that Montgomery dropped because that was a great play).

Win is a win, 9-3 is great. I didn't think about it until today but that's back to back winning seasons. Feels good. All that being said...this team has major issues. Offense continues to go conservative or simply sputter with big leads. Seemed clear Ben Johnson didn't have much trust in Goff today and it led to sticking to a run game that wasn't effective in the second half.

Defense getting gashed, can't get off the field. Secondary isn't good enough. Good news is I liked what I saw when Hutch-Paschal-Alim-Irvin were on the field, pass rush wise. Pretty clear that James Houston would be having a huge season this year if he hadn't been injured. We need him back, bad. Also need Gardner-Johnson because our safeties are getting clowned. What happened to Kerby man...

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I can't wait to see more analysis vids of the game because you def saw more pass rush potential with Irvin and Paschal out there alongside Hutch and Alim. Would a trade have made us better? Sure. But I think I prefer the position we're in now.

Two 3rd round picks. Multiple really good pass rushers in the draft. We got the capital to trade and pick to move up in the 1st round and get somebody. Clear path to swap 1st round picks with someone plus throw in a 3rd round pick to move into 17-20 range and get whoever is there. Chop Robinson from PSU, Laiatu Latu from UCLA...someone could easily be there. Or maybe Brad rolls the dice and hopes someone like Jared Verse from FSU falls to us, or one of the OSU pass rushers. I can def see what he's trying to do and why holding onto the picks for maximum leverage in the draft makes sense. VS blowing up your cap trying to pay Chase Young or whoever else.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Green Bay looking like they gonna beat KC. If so Detroit really is gonna have to fight for the NFC North. They have a comfortable lead but there's 3 division games left and a couple games that could be tough as hell.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Green Bay looking like they gonna beat KC. If so Detroit really is gonna have to fight for the NFC North. They have a comfortable lead but there's 3 division games left and a couple games that could be tough as hell.
3 games back with 5 to go. Lions would have to collapse to lose division.

KC isn’t that good this year and they got injuries piling up

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I really don't get the red zone issues. I'm not even sure you can call it a lack of imagination. It's just complete incompetence. Have we thrown a corner route in the end zone? Seam? Crossing route? The plan can't solely be running the ball until you get to the 1, or short yard throws in the middle to get you to the 1. There has to be more to this offense.

I'd agree that losing the NFC North would require a massive implosion. Seems like the injuries are reaching critical mass right now, which is how an implosion happens. Just heard Campbell say they got good news on Ragnow but he might not play against the Bears. Also sounds like Alim McNeill might not play. One or both missing the game kind of turns this into a tough game.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Jake Browning looked sharp in relief last week and he's balling out tonight. Second year player but 27. Very similar to Hooker...:jbhmm:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Irvin played well, got multiple pressures in 11 snaps. The vid shows he also had some impact last year for Seattle including in the playoffs. Can’t attribute everything to one guy but we had the most pressures on Sunday since week. I really think James Houston would be putting up wild numbers right now if he was healthy. A January return from him could really propel this team if he can still bend like normal.

@Regular_P I really think Hooker will ball in training camp next season. It’ll be a new offense, assuming Ben Johnson is gone, so the playing field will even up a bit. Granted Goff is still the vet but I definitely think Hooker will simply unlock more of an offense with his arm. I also think he’s the difference between a Jamo 800-1000 yard season and an Amon Ra 800-1000 yard season. I’m not knocking Amon Ra but he’s a high target security blanket for Goff. He’s gonna turn down multiple shots a game because Amon Ra is right there for 8-15 yards.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Irvin played well, got multiple pressures in 11 snaps. The vid shows he also had some impact last year for Seattle including in the playoffs. Can’t attribute everything to one guy but we had the most pressures on Sunday since week. I really think James Houston would be putting up wild numbers right now if he was healthy. A January return from him could really propel this team if he can still bend like normal.

@Regular_P I really think Hooker will ball in training camp next season. It’ll be a new offense, assuming Ben Johnson is gone, so the playing field will even up a bit. Granted Goff is still the vet but I definitely think Hooker will simply unlock more of an offense with his arm. I also think he’s the difference between a Jamo 800-1000 yard season and an Amon Ra 800-1000 yard season. I’m not knocking Amon Ra but he’s a high target security blanket for Goff. He’s gonna turn down multiple shots a game because Amon Ra is right there for 8-15 yards.

You make it sound like they should transition to Hooker and franchise Goff just to be sure instead of extending him.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You make it sound like they should transition to Hooker and franchise Goff just to be sure instead of extending him.
Honestly on some level I wish we could move on, not gonna lie. Not because I'm concerned he can't learn a new offense or that Ben Johnson is the reason he's playing well. He's a pro/vet, I assume he can perform in a competent system with a good OC. I'm just hesitant about paying him a massive contract when we have a rookie who COULD open up an offense more and save us a lot of money. Any team regression with Goff is going to feel worse too. Look at Seattle right now. Geno had a similar revival season last year, got paid, and is struggling this year. A team I assumed could content for a SB looks like it may not even make the playoffs. Should Seattle have paid Geno? Yes. They didn't have another option. But I feel like we do. It's a gamble, and it would probably start the clock on Holmes/Campbell if they got it wrong. But I'd personally take the risk if they feel like Hooker is the guy.

Do I think any of this will happen? No. We'll pay Goff, and frankly we have the cap space going forward to do it. I'm just saying three years of rookie contract Hooker would be even better for the cap, re-sign more guys, and pursue noteworthy FAs if needed.