Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Also saw that Campbell personally made sure Dan Skipper was the first player to speak to the media. Game day things aside I love the culture Campbell has brought here. Even though it was a short scene, that part of Hard Knocks where Skipper got cut and asked what else he can do was rough. So for him to go to the practice team and be able to step in today and play great says everything about this team and the coaching. O-line coach gotta get a lot of praise...all these dudes can ball and run block.

Last edited:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps

Also saw that Campbell personally made sure Dan Skipper was the first player to speak to the media. Game day things aside I love the culture Campbell has brought her. Even thought it was a short scene, that part of Hard Knocks where Skipper got cut and asked what else he can do was rough. So for him to go to the practice team and be able to step in today and play great says everything about this team and the coaching. O-line coach gotta get a lot of praise...all these dudes can ball and run block.

Call him what you want, meathead, neanderthal or whatever, Dan Campbell got the full buy in of this team. A coach, or anyone in leadership for that matter, doesn't have to be the smartest person in the room or the one that knows all the in and outs of job, but they need to be the one that can lead and inspire the group and put good people around them that do understand those things. He seems to be doing that part rather well. I know he's gonna have some more stumbles, but at this point I'm pretty much all in. He got these boys believing and it seems like a real culture shift is happening.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
+35 back to back games. Jameson Williams gonna make offense elite. Especially if Amon Ra and Swift keep this up. Hopefully Hockenson and Chark wake up. Goff only thing that can hold the offense back other than injuries

Defense just needs the injured guys back. D-line faded down stretch. Need Romeo Okwara, Paschal, levi back. Does Brockers play? Liking what I’m seeing from Okudah. And Rodriguez might be legit

The thing, they have the bodies...but they're injured. Levi, Paschal, Romeo Okwara. This team is missing a lot of potentially very impactful players. If they can ever get healthy this would easily be the best d-line since 2014. that team had a lot of depth and rotational players who complimented Suh, Fairley, etc. Guys like Cominsky, Buggs, Bryant, etc would then give us that depth that every great defensive team has. Then next year we gotta do something about the LB corps. Rodrigo could easily be the only LB from this year that makes the team next year if Brad Holmes goes all out and brings in the guys we need via FA and the draft. Maybe Derek Barnes stays too as depth.
y'all brought up good points. I forgot about Jameson Williams and the injuries to our dline. We're already competitive whilel playing through injuries. Looking at how our roster is constructed we might be able to take best player available in the draft which is crazy considering where we were last year.

The biggest threat to this team is losing Johnson and Haley as a package to another team and Glenn and Pleasant as a package to a team next offseason.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Call him what you want, meathead, neanderthal or whatever, Dan Campbell got the full buy in of this team. A coach, or anyone in leadership for that matter, doesn't have to be the smartest person in the room or the one that knows all the in and outs of job, but they need to be the one that can lead and inspire the group and put good people around them that do understand those things. He seems to be doing that part rather well. I know he's gonna have some more stumbles, but at this point I'm pretty much all in. He got these boys believing and it seems like a real culture shift is happening.
Agreed 100%. You know what kills me though, thinking back. I feel like Campbell and Caldwell are very similar in the way they commanded a locker room/respect. Totally different styles but both had guys willing to run through brick walls. Yet Campbell hired good to GREAT coaches to come with him, and Caldwell didn't which led to his firing. Lombardi was a terrible OC pick, and is currently facing heat in LA for gimping Herbert the same way he gimped Stafford. Caldwell also brought in a terrible o-line coach.

I really like this staff. Haley, the o-line coach, is working miracles with all these injuries. This is the type of game we would have lost previously due to a lack of depth or ehh coaching. These guys are being taught how to play. Even with the LB core which isn't great...Rodrigo is always hitting the correct gaps and doing his job. Each coach has his guys ready to ball on Sundays.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
y'all brought up good points. I forgot about Jameson Williams and the injuries to our dline. We're already competitive whilel playing through injuries. Looking at how our roster is constructed we might be able to take best player available in the draft which is crazy considering where we were last year.

The biggest threat to this team is losing Johnson and Haley as a package to another team and Glenn and Pleasant as a package to a team next offseason.
I really hope they don't lose anyone for a couple years. They have a great culture and fit right now. I have faith in Holmes and Campbell to replace any losses with the right people though.

Maybe there's more guys from within who would get promoted that we don't really know about like Johnson.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Agreed 100%. You know what kills me though, thinking back. I feel like Campbell and Caldwell are very similar in the way they commanded a locker room/respect. Totally different styles but both had guys willing to run through brick walls. Yet Campbell hired good to GREAT coaches to come with him, and Caldwell didn't which led to his firing. Lombardi was a terrible OC pick, and is currently facing heat in LA for gimping Herbert the same way he gimped Stafford. Caldwell also brought in a terrible o-line coach.

I really like this staff. Haley, the o-line coach, is working miracles with all these injuries. This is the type of game we would have lost previously due to a lack of depth or ehh coaching. These guys are being taught how to play. Even with the LB core which isn't great...Rodrigo is always hitting the correct gaps and doing his job. Each coach has his guys ready to ball on Sundays.
Yeah, Campbell's a lot more likable publicly than Caldwell though. Caldwell was condescending, arrogant and came off like a prick with the media. Nobody on this current staff is like that. All these guys have good personalities and you can tell that's helping with buy-in and shifting the culture.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I really hope they don't lose anyone for a couple years. They have a great culture and fit right now. I have faith in Holmes and Campbell to replace any losses with the right people though.

Maybe there's more guys from within who would get promoted that we don't really know about like Johnson.
Being able to promote from within would be ideal but the cupboard can’t be that full.

If we’re not gonna promote from within I’d love for us to steel from the chargers or bucs for defense and SF on offense. I think the mcvay tree is getting pruned too much

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, Campbell's a lot more likable publicly than Caldwell though. Caldwell was condescending, arrogant and came off like a prick with the media. Nobody on this current staff is like that. All these guys have good personalities and you can tell that's helping with buy-in and shifting the culture.
He never came off as any of those things to me. He was just an older black man that was more on the quiet side and not buddy buddy with the media. What you described was Patricia to a "t".

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
He never came off as any of those things to me. He was just an older black man that was more on the quiet side and not buddy buddy with the media. What you described was Patricia to a "t".
Different strokes. :yeshrug:

Patricia was the worst though. Schwartz was a bozo too.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
This nikka Hurts look amazing. His growth as a passer is nuts.
Scary thing is he didn't really kill Detroit with his arm. The d-line was collapsing the pocket on the regular, they just couldn't contain his legs. :lupe:
I'm assuming the Vikings offense will have an easier go against us but still...this could be a winnable game. Cousins looks terrible and is melting when pressured.
Maybe...but the d-line has gotten pressure in the first two games. Kirk can't scramble even as well as Wentz...I don't want to pencil in a W but I feel a lot better about this upcoming game now. :lupe: