Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
I'll die on this hill alone. :yeshrug:

Offense gets too conservative and he doesn't utilize the team's best playmakers. His run game is basically just the offensive line being better than the defense. There's zero creativity. Gibbs never gets the ball outside; there's no end arounds or motion runs to Jamo. Everything is right up the middle.
He does all of those actually, just not specific to those players. And that might be more of a indictment on the players than the coordinator. They could just simply not be ready or not be trusted enough for those type of responsibilities yet. You just need to watch a lot of these all 22 breakdowns to see how creative Johnson gets with the run game. I love how he has so many different looks out of the same formations to keep defenses guessing, current game not withstanding. And you act as if there a just a ton of great coordinators getting their teams to average thirty and being extremely efficient on third down or in the redzone.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don't agree with the idea that there's no creativity at all. That being said, drafting a guy at 12 who you say is a "weapon" and then doing jack shyt with him is insane. These guys acted like they were about to break the league or something, like Miami. Instead it's been going runs up the middle or to the sideline, with some screens thrown in for him. I don't get it at all.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
He does all of those actually, just not specific to those players. And that might be more of a indictment on the players than the coordinator. They could just simply not be ready or not be trusted enough for those type of responsibilities yet. You just need to watch a lot of these all 22 breakdowns to see how creative Johnson gets with the run game. I love how he has so many different looks out of the same formations to keep defenses guessing, current game not withstanding. And you act as if there a just a ton of great coordinators getting their teams to average thirty and being extremely efficient on third down or in the redzone.
For creativity, I'm specifically referring to the run game. Everything is between the tackles.

So are those guys busts then? Because Gibbs looked electric in KC and has had his role reduced since then even with Monty injured.

When Jamo's on the field, he seems to get wide open down field dating back to last season but he's barely on the field.

If they don't trust those two, just trade them while they still have value.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
I don't agree with the idea that there's no creativity at all. That being said, drafting a guy at 12 who you say is a "weapon" and then doing jack shyt with him is insane. These guys acted like they were about to break the league or something, like Miami. Instead it's been going runs up the middle or to the sideline, with some screens thrown in for him. I don't get it at all.
I think some of that is fair.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
For creativity, I'm specifically referring to the run game. Everything is between the tackles.

So are those guys busts then? Because Gibbs looked electric in KC and has had his role reduced since then even with Monty injured.

When Jamo's on the field, he seems to get wide open down field dating back to last season but he's barely on the field.

If they don't trust those two, just trade them while they still have value.
I wouldn't go that far to say either. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing scenario. They've both played less than 10 games total to make it a ridiculous idea to only be able to jump to those conclusions. There's a whole spectrum of scenarios where they become important pieces of the offense as they continue winning. This is simply fan frustration, and I get it.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
So we resign and call up an RB to the roster because Montgomery is out, and then throw him out there on returns and he gets hurt. I don't get it man. This makes no sense.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I wouldn't go that far to say either. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing scenario. They've both played less than 10 games total to make it a ridiculous idea to only be able to jump to those conclusions. There's a whole spectrum of scenarios where they become important pieces of the offense as they continue winning. This is simply fan frustration, and I get it.
I'll take heat for it. :yeshrug:

My frustration is that I believe there's a ceiling to this offense against good teams without Gibbs and Jamo, imo. We're seeing it again today. It's too much to ask an offense to grind their way down the field all game against quality opponents. You need some ice breakers.

Green is getting more snaps than Jamo today. That is absolute madness. If he's that much of a headcase or just not picking things up, trade him before his value is completely in the tank.