Oculus Rift Official Thread (preorders start 1/6/16 $599 Expected to Ship in March)

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
M2n2UlK.png

:dead:

International customers complaining a lot too. For them it equals to about $750. In Canada it's equal to $850

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
People keep saying "That price sux, I'm waiting on Vive", gonna be in a rude awakening. :sas2:

I'll be waiting on Morpheus..

you may be in for a rude awakening as well :sas1:

but my reasoning for waiting on Vive isn't because I expect it to be cheaper. I just don't want to run out and pre-order the O.R. headset, only to find out the Vive is a more complete package. and that's the way it's looking to me now. especially with O.R.'s Touch controllers being delayed

I also think the recently announced front-facing camera on the Vive will be a game changer. not only does it allow you to see the outside world with the headset on, but it also opens the door for all types of 'augmented reality' experiences

CurrencyChase

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ohio, Iowa, & Minnesota
Sony won the VR war then gen. Shu was mentioning that PSVR was maybe going to cost the price of a new console they Sony even thought that was too much..I'm predicting the PSVR to be 399.99. The Vive will probably be more expensive or the same price as Oculus. 40 million customers, VR gaming Studios and at possibly 399.99 or lower = victory for Sony.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I'll give it at least a year and a half on the market before pulling the trigger. I think this will be one of those things that collects dust once the hype dies down. At least for the first generation.
new tech is always expensive. remember when the $600 ps3 was actually seen as a "cheap blu-ray player"

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Sony won the VR war then gen. Shu was mentioning that PSVR was maybe going to cost the price of a new console they Sony even thought that was too much..I'm predicting the PSVR to be 399.99. The Vive will probably be more expensive or the same price as Oculus. 40 million customers, VR gaming Studios and at possibly 399.99 or lower = victory for Sony.
250 or die for PSVR. Sony gonna have to take a loss for this to take off. well thats what i am hoping for :lupe:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
new tech is always expensive. remember when the $600 ps3 was actually seen as a "cheap blu-ray player"
Yeah and we saw how that worked out for them. MS mopped the floor with Sony for the majority of last gen because of it. Its not so much the price for me personally, its the fact that I realistically don't see it as useful enough at the moment. Not trying to be overly critical. Just saying I think the smart play would be to wait to see how it performs.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
VR is gonna flop mainstream. I'm sure there are enough enthusiasts to make the OR moderately successful. But it won't be a product the mainstream takes to.

It's cool tech, but the games just aren't there. It's worse off than the kinect in that regard.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Yeah and we saw how that worked out for them. MS mopped the floor with Sony for the majority of last gen because of it. Its not so much the price for me personally, its the fact that I realistically don't see it as useful enough at the moment. Not trying to be overly critical. Just saying I think the smart play would be to wait to see how it performs.
I wasn't pointing that out in reference to video game console prices. I'm just saying that $600 was seen as "cheap" for a blu-ray player, because many were selling for ~$1000. today you can get a blu-ray player for less than $50

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
you may be in for a rude awakening as well :sas1:

but my reasoning for waiting on Vive isn't because I expect it to be cheaper. I just don't want to run out and pre-order the O.R. headset, only to find out the Vive is a more complete package. and that's the way it's looking to me now. especially with O.R.'s Touch controllers being delayed

I also think the recently announced front-facing camera on the Vive will be a game changer. not only does it allow you to see the outside world with the headset on, but it also opens the door for all types of 'augmented reality' experiences
Wasn't talking about your post, on neogaf ppl were claiming to wait on vive like they gonna be cheaper. Vive already said somewhere they stuff was gonna be premium.

Also I'm expecting $400 minimum for Morpheus. Highly doubt it would be over $499. Either way, it will be cheaper than Oculus Rift.

VR is gonna flop mainstream. I'm sure there are enough enthusiasts to make the OR moderately successful. But it won't be a product the mainstream takes to.

It's cool tech, but the games just aren't there. It's worse off than the kinect in that regard.

I see it working if Sony prices it right. People will buy Sony since it cheap, then may upgrade to Vive/OR when they see the potential. If any of the 3 have a killer app, I can see it taking off sooner. They need something to start a craze like minecraft. Still would be difficult to show it off to others though.