NYU serves kool aid and watermelon water for black history month

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Doobie Doo said:
The Watermelon stereotype came from the Thomas Edison film clip of two black men having a watermelon eating contest in 1896

It actually existed about 30 years before that. In 1869, Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper published perhaps the first caricature of blacks reveling in watermelon. The adjoining article explained, “The Southern negro in no particular more palpably exhibits his epicurean tastes than in his excessive fondness for watermelons. The juvenile freedman is especially intense in his partiality for that refreshing fruit.”

38e9c6144.jpg

And nearly 70 years before that, it was actually applied to Arabs by the British in Egypt.​

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Haven't had ribs or yams in a minute. Watermelon is ass and nobody uses just one flavor to make kool-aid. Also the coli said only the south was racist.

Last Saturday I went to work and stopped and got a half rack before coming in. I've got two bones left in the refrigerator right now. Been in there since last Saturday. Reading the article and now I'm sitting wondering if those two bones are still good. Probably dryer than my hands begging for lotion right now, but I'm thinking the microwave will fix that.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I sorta understand the anger some of us would feel, but, at the same time, those menu choices wouldn't stop me from fixing a plate or two.......unless they didn't season the collard greens right or put enough sugar in the Kool-Aid. They should have had some neckbones and okra on the menu.

Hell, my grandma was cooking just like that.

I miss my grandma........:mjcry:

Neckbones :noah:

Edit: RIP to your Grandma. I just lost mines too.

Fani Willis fan

Man What
Daps
Man I would've enjoyed that meal plus a refill of koolaid. fukk what yall think, I'm gon eat.
Y’all are getting too sensitive, I would of been all in that menu. That sounds hella good.
I know right..I bet if y'all ask nice they might even give you a piece of cornbread with some neck bones.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Last Saturday I went to work and stopped and got a half rack before coming in. I've got two bones left in the refrigerator right now. Been in there since last Saturday. Reading the article and now I'm sitting wondering if those two bones are still good. Probably dryer than my hands begging for lotion right now, but I'm thinking the microwave will fix that.
Put a cup of water in there while you microwave it should be good to go