"NYK will surprise the NBA"...I believe 'em too. 19-20 NYK Offseason Thread

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Y'all know I tend to keep my Knicks talk to our thread, but I'm embracing any and all smoke this offseason/season:mjlit:These lame nikkas have been making the clapbacks so easy I can't even be bothered to respond to the random nikka on the first page whose team I neither know nor care about:wow:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
:pachaha: Mitch is goofy as fukk

I like the kid, might be my favorite Knick on the roster right now

His block party Instagram show is jokes :lolbron:
The Knicks will never get the credit the deserve for his development off the court but it was his interview process that scared a lot of teams off from him. He used to be so shy and awkward last season. I’m convinced the Block Party was the organizations creative way of getting him out of his shell. Go back and watch the first episode, it was brutal. But you can literally see his growth each one after.

It’s wild cause he even carries himself like this is his team now.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City

#OldNewYork

#ONY

Q:It certainly seems like New York targeted you guys because you’re all dogs who play with a lot of intensity and an us-against-the-world mentality. Do you think that was intentional and did they talk to you guys about that?

EP: That’s definitely what they were echoing in the meetings we had and when we all sat down together. That’s exactly what they were echoing.

Q: You mentioned that you like how all of the pieces fit together, and this is a nice mix of young guys and veterans too. How much potential does this team have?

EP: I think we can be really good. Obviously we’ve got young pieces like RJ Barrett and Kevin Knox – guys who are up-and-comers. Then, you have younger veteran-types like me and Julius and Reggie. Then, you throw Taj in the mix, who’s a real vet and seen so much and been deep in the playoffs. It’s a good mix of guys and I think we have a chance to be something special.

Q: What message would you give to Knicks fans who are upset right now after missing out on the big-name free agents?

EP: Just sit back and watch, man. They’ll grow to love this group of guys. It’s totally natural to feel some type of way when you miss out on guys like Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving, but I think they’re going to grow to love this group. I feel we embody what New York basketball was about back in the day – just being grimy, tough guys who play with a chip on their shoulder and have something to prove.

On the low Randall, Payton, and Portis have a chance to stick on the team long term.

Last edited:

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
The Knicks will never get the credit the deserve for his development off the court but it was his interview process that scared a lot of teams off from him. He used to be so shy and awkward last season. I’m convinced the Block Party was the organizations creative way of getting him out of his shell. Go back and watch the first episode, it was brutal. But you can literally see his growth each one after.

It’s wild cause he even carries himself like this is his team now.

Absolutely. Real shyt. It's fukking night and day watching this kid in front of a camera now.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
I read something about Taj Gibson a while ago.

I will try to find it...

I teared up. And I'm flabbergasted because I'm.34 and I grew up in Kingsview Homes across from Ingersol Projects and how was I not in the same circles as Taj????

For Taj Gibson, Brooklyn and Fort Greene are more than where he comes from

Taj Gibson is in town this weekend for both the Timberwolves’ game Friday afternoon and Thanksgiving. Brooklyn, specifically Fort Greene, is home and the 33-year-old who grew up in the projects has never stopped being from the neighborhood.

He wears No. 67 to honor his elementary school, P.S. 67, and his uses his non-profit, 67 Enterprises, to help hold the community and school together.

As he told former Nets beat writer Mike Mazzeo, writing for CloseUp360...

“I run basketball tournaments in the Ingersoll Community Center all year around. I do book bag giveaways to kids from Brooklyn in my community, Fort Greene house. I have a toy giveaway for Christmas every year in P.S. 67.

“I pay for prom outfits for the whole graduating class. I pay for many funerals for people of the community and others in Brooklyn. I help so many people with different issues financially. There’s so many to count. I have given back a million dollars, give or take, since I’ve been in the NBA. It’s not for media; I do this from my heart.”

Never a big star in the NBA, Gibson has been as reliable in the NBA as he is in Fort Greene, with career averages of 10 and six over 10 years, playing all 82 games three times and this year, starting all 18 games for the TWolves and averaging 10.8 and 6.6 rebounds.

He tells Mazzeo he is forever grateful for his success and even a bit surprised, considering his upbringing.

“I learned to be real humble there,” he told Mazzeo, recalling his job at a moving company where his father also worked. “At the job site, most of the movers on the truck came from jail, and some people had just come into the country with no paperwork. I was in the pits with them—carrying boxes, doing chain gang stuff, being in basements in the hot summers.

“It woke me up, like, ‘I don’t want to do this.’ But I think it kept me grounded because every day, I’d speak to those men during our lunch break and they’d tell me about being in jail. I was 14 at the time and my dad allowed it because I was tough and could handle it. It was dope.”

And often, when back in Brooklyn, he reflects on all the things that got him where he is today ... and the responsibilities of not just giving back, but being involved. There is a difference.

“I try to deal with it by just going for long walks on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade at night, thinking about how far I’ve come. I look at the city and I think to myself that I’m blessed that I’m still here, and it’s not that bad. And then I come back to reality and try to do my best to help.”

He jokes about how Thom Thibodeau’s rants, which he heard first in Chicago and now Minnesota. They’re nothing compared to his first coaches in Fort Greene.

“I felt like I could handle anything just because those guys were screaming at me, yelling at me and then I had to walk home and fight almost every day,” he recalled. “So when “Thibs” [Tom Thibodeau] and all these guys yell at me, that’s like a walk in the park because I came from somewhere way harder, with a struggle way bigger.”

Despite the troubles in Minnesota this season, Gibson remains a fan of Thibs. “I’ve got a lot of respect for Thibs coming to my friends’ funerals. He’s the only coach that really showed me love. He was there through all the rough times.”

One funeral that goes unmentioned in Mazzeo’s profile is that of his cousin, Prince Joshua Avitto, who was stabbed to death in the projects at age 6 in 2014. Tragedy is never far away.

There is, as he says, satisfaction in helping, but there is also a weight on his soul.

“A lot of my close friends have gotten killed during my NBA career. Some of them were during the season. Some of them were after the season. You never know.

“My phone is like a revolving door of messages. You could get a call that somebody’s incarcerated. You could get a call that somebody’s sick, somebody’s on their deathbed. I get those calls all the time. So now it’s like it’s not just me I’m thinking about. I’ve got to think about a lot of people. It’s tough at times. It’s tough.”

But he understands responsibility, understands that the toughness that is his “brand” was honed here, that the people who got him to where he is need him now. And it all makes him happy. Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
Stephen A. and Max are going to be eating their words once the Nets fail to win the title in two years and the Knicks re-establish themselves as the only team in New York that matters.

I wouldn't mind debating them on that issue AND calling them out for being closet Laker fans.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Stephen A. and Max are going to be eating their words once the Nets fail to win the title in two years and the Knicks re-establish themselves as the only team in New York that matters.

I wouldn't mind debating them on that issue AND calling them out for being closet Laker fans.
Max straight up said he was a Lakers fan and Stephen A. is also a Lakers dikk rider and was a huge insufferable Kobe stan

fukk em both they’ll be eating their words and switching sides soon

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
Max straight up said he was a Lakers fan and Stephen A. is also a Lakers dikk rider and was a huge insufferable Kobe stan

fukk em both they’ll be eating their words and switching sides soon
They are cowards.

Straight up.

I still think that once the youth movement pays off and the Knicks are finally competitive, you are going to see a whole lot of hot takes from all of the media sports outlets, especially ESPN, talking about KD and Kyrie and what could of been and both Stephen A. and Max wondering out loud "What in the hell happened to the Nets?"

That day is coming. It may not be today, but it's coming.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
@SAJ!! @ISO

Oh best believe.

I cosign everything y'all said.

If the the Knicks continue this "righting of the ship", I PROMISE you that they will move the goal posts criminally as fukk.

Knicks get close to an 8th seed this year? That next day, this will be how first take goes...

MAX: "So...the hype seems real. But...Stephen A, I don't know about you, but we all could...CARE...LESS. Now, granted...Coach Fiz...and I respect the hell out of him as a coach, but Fiz...you and Perry know that this is what we a expected. No matter what goes on this year, we all know they can't when a ring. We all know that the Knicks would tickle their tortured fans...but you know what we are all thinking? What if...what if they were a respectable organization, they wouldn't be killing Randle and having Barret play 40 freakin' minutes a game! THEY'D HAVE DURANT AND KYRIE and we'd be one year removed from a REAL playoff force."

SAS
: O"maaaaaannn. I mean, COOOOME OOOONN. NO....NOOOO....NOOOOO. WE....ARE...NOT...GOING....TO BE FOOOOOLED. Now, Knicks fans, I'm one of you, and y'all know that. Y'all know that I have suuuuuuuffered and criiiiiiiiiied and complaaaaaainned. Put the camera on me, I'm looking at yooouuuuu Fiz....I'm loooooming at youuuu Scott P, Scottieee P...SCOT PERRY. Now we go back a long way Scott.....we go back a long way.... You already know that making the playoffs....the PLAYOFFS...aint nothing to be all happy about. We knew they'd be a solid little team. But this will eventually end in NO DAMN RING ON ANY KNICK FINGERS! While the Nets are just licking their chops for next year to start when KEVIN DURANT....THE PROM DATE THAT LEFT YOU WAITING IN THE LIMOUSINE...WHILE ANOTHER MAN FROM THE BOROUGH NEXT DOOR STOLE HER FROM UNDER.....YOOOOOUR.....FEET! They are on track for a big year in 2021 meanwhile y'all out here wasting RJ Barrett ROY season on struggling for an 8th seed. Don't talk to me about the next until they are in the finals. I'M DONE."

:gucci:fukk ass nikkas

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
@SAJ!! @ISO

Oh best believe.

I cosign everything y'all said.

If the the Knicks continue this "righting of the ship", I PROMISE you that they will move the goal posts criminally as fukk.

Knicks get close to an 8th seed this year? That next day, this will be how first take goes...

MAX: "So...the hype seems real. But...Stephen A, I don't know about you, but we all could...CARE...LESS. Now, granted...Coach Fiz...and I respect the hell out of him as a coach, but Fiz...you and Perry know that this is what we a expected. No matter what goes on this year, we all know they can't when a ring. We all know that the Knicks would tickle their tortured fans...but you know what we are all thinking? What if...what if they were a respectable organization, they wouldn't be killing Randle and having Barret play 40 freakin' minutes a game! THEY'D HAVE DURANT AND KYRIE and we'd be one year removed from a REAL playoff force."

SAS
: O"maaaaaannn. I mean, COOOOME OOOONN. NO....NOOOO....NOOOOO. WE....ARE...NOT...GOING....TO BE FOOOOOLED. Now, Knicks fans, I'm one of you, and y'all know that. Y'all know that I have suuuuuuuffered and criiiiiiiiiied and complaaaaaainned. Put the camera on me, I'm looking at yooouuuuu Fiz....I'm loooooming at youuuu Scott P, Scottieee P...SCOT PERRY. Now we go back a long way Scott.....we go back a long way.... You already know that making the playoffs....the PLAYOFFS...aint nothing to be all happy about. We knew they'd be a solid little team. But this will eventually end in NO DAMN RING ON ANY KNICK FINGERS! While the Nets are just licking their chops for next year to start when KEVIN DURANT....THE PROM DATE THAT LEFT YOU WAITING IN THE LIMOUSINE...WHILE ANOTHER MAN FROM THE BOROUGH NEXT DOOR STOLE HER FROM UNDER.....YOOOOOUR.....FEET! They are on track for a big year in 2021 meanwhile y'all out here wasting RJ Barrett ROY season on struggling for an 8th seed. Don't talk to me about the next until they are in the finals. I'M DONE."

:gucci:fukk ass nikkas

While, at the same time, the Lakers are fighting for a potential playoff spot in the West with AD and no depth and KD and Kyrie alternating their time on the injured list nursing their various injuries.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY