"NYK will surprise the NBA"...I believe 'em too. 19-20 NYK Offseason Thread

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
:comeon: Barely over two years as a Knick. That's more of an indictment on the franchise. Lack of continuity. Frank still hasn't done shyt. Needs to prove his worth this year or he's not gonna be on this team next year.
I think the point is...objective analysis is no issue but many brehs spent two years spouting unnecessary vitriol against dude.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
:comeon: Barely over two years as a Knick. That's more of an indictment on the franchise. Lack of continuity. Frank still hasn't done shyt. Needs to prove his worth this year or he's not gonna be on this team next year.

Even disliking Frank the player. Given our circumstances (tons of available cap space via player options and year of development away from contending), the FA class of 2020 (it's light on Max value talent), Frank's age and defensive ability and the fact that his option it'll only cost 6 million dollars in cap space we don't particularly need...I don't think there's an objective argument against picking up his option. When people talk like he's got to go it's all feels and pretending that Donovan Mitchell would have been the pick if not Frank (it would have been Monk...yuck).

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Even disliking Frank the player. Given our circumstances (tons of available cap space via player options and year of development away from contending), the FA class of 2020 (it's light on Max value talent), Frank's age and defensive ability and the fact that his option it'll only cost 6 million dollars in cap space we don't particularly need...I don't think there's an objective argument against picking up his option. When people talk like he's got to go it's all feels and pretending that Donovan Mitchell would have been the pick if not Frank (it would have been Monk...yuck).
Phil fukked us over big time though. That triangle offense shyt was killing us. Everyone saw Iso Melo being the problem and yet fukked over Derrick Rose. I would've happily kept him as a vet and picked up Donovan to learn off him then built off of them. Melo would've learned to stay in his lane or leave.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Phil fukked us over big time though. That triangle offense shyt was killing us. Everyone saw Iso Melo being the problem and yet fukked over Derrick Rose. I would've happily kept him as a vet and picked up Donovan to learn off him then built off of them. Melo would've learned to stay in his lane or leave.

Oh for sure fam. The strange thing about that draft season was that I remember a ton of arguments over whether the top choice for us should be DSJ, Monk or Frank...but everyone had Donovan Mitchell as a safe second or third option. I think his age was why people leaned toward other options predominantly.

My thing is, we were linked to Monk and Frank most. DSJ went before we picked. It wouldn't have been Mitchell in any case. Matter of fact, it might have wound up worse. And once we get past that bit and just look at the current roster situation; you pick up the 21 year old's option because we don't need cap or roster space so we might as well see if the kid can put things together while he's cost controlled. We're not in a rush anyhow.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Damn, you right. I still would've chosen someone like Dennis Smith to mimic D Rose simply cause they play alike. I think Frank will get better but I'm more fascinated with explosive offense which is why I never really criticized Trey Burke. In fact, i still think he'll be good on the right team.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
We can't live in the past.

It's like trying to make arguments about Kawhi considering where he was drafted and saying he shouldn't get max money because he wasn't a lottery pick.

At this point in his career, Frank's draft position should have no bearing on whether he could play a role in an efficient capacity on this team. He has certain qualities that allow him to be a cog in a good team; as shown in FIBA.

What is Frank? He's NOT a lottery pick. That is a dated classification much like Kawhi's draft position or Jimmy Butler's...or Markelle Fultz. In 2019, these players are the collection of skills and flaws that they've exhibited. Frank has flaws and he has strengths. Dennis Rodman had flaws and was one of the most one dimensional players in the game, yet, can be argued as one of the most GOAT X-factor players of all time. A good coach can find a good place for a player with some good qualities.

A GREAT coach can find a GREAT place for a player with some GREAT qualities. It's all about planning.

Instead of arguing ad nauseam about why you can resent Frank for not living up to his draft position, a Knick fan should be arguing vehemently about putting Frank in the BEST position for him to contribute, whether that be a 6th man, 4t quarter ball stopper, starting 1, etc. He's a Knick...let's have REAL convo about how BEST to maximize his skillset. And honestly, if you can really fix your mouth to say "HE HAS NO GOOD SKILLS", you just are bizarrely petty or don't really know team basketball.

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
I think the point is...objective analysis is no issue but many brehs spent two years spouting unnecessary vitriol against dude.

Yeah, but you could also make a case the Frank fans have unnecessarily shytted on Fizdale, DSJ, Mudiay, etc., because of undying support for Frank. Objectively speaking, Ntilikina had a terrible rookie year, which was understandable, but he made zero to very little tangible improvements in his sophomore year. It's still fair to be skeptical for him and his path to getting minutes will be difficult. There is a log jam in most positions on the team. If he could leapfrog Payton based on his individual play, I'd be happy

No idea what the front office is going to do. Zero faith in them.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Robinson/Portis
Randle/Morris/Gibson
Knox/Iggy/Dotson
Barrett/Trier/Ellington/Dotson
DSJ/Payton/Ntlikina

IR/2Way: Reggie Bullock, Kadeem Allen

:whoo:Let’s get it

A lot of possible line up combinations
Mines is:

Robinson/Gibson/Portis
Randle/Morris/Iggy/Portis
Morris/Knox/Iggy/Ntilikina
RJ/Ntilikina/Dotson/Ellington/Trier
DSJ/Peyton/Ntilikina/Dotson

I think this season, we will show the critics we have improved. There will be no detrimental moves besides 1 or 2 players and we'll be able to capitalize off of 2021 draft a very experienced squad.

I lowkey like what we have and I'm extremely optimistic, we'll even make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Ntlikina gonna have to get it where he fit in and stay ready I don’t know where he’s getting consistent minutes or who he’s playing above

:francis:
It doesn't take much for him to show that he's improved. I most likely see him playing a 1 and 3 guard especially on closing games against bums like Washington or OKC. We also need someone that can shutdown Harden because none of our 1 through 2's is holding him. His traveling ass will be stuck at the free throw line.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Mines is:

Robinson/Gibson/Portis
Randle/Morris/Iggy/Portis
Morris/Knox/Iggy
RJ/Ntilikina/Dotson/Ellington/Trier
DSJ/Peyton/Ntilikina/Dotson

I think by next year, we will show the critics we have improved. There will be no detrimental moves besides 1 or 2 players and we'll be able to capitalize off of 2021 draft a very experienced squad.

I lowkey like what we have and I'm extremely optimistic, we'll even make the playoffs.
Portis too far back in your depth charts :hubie:

I agree I gave Knox the nod but I don’t see how he outplays Marcus Morris in camp :dead:

Also, Ntlikina hasn’t done shyt to warrant being the back up 2 over Ellington, Trier, Dotson.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Portis too far back in your depth charts :hubie:

I agree I gave Knox the nod but I don’t see how he outplays Marcus Morris in camp :dead:

Also, Ntlikina hasn’t done shyt to warrant being the back up 2 over Ellington, Trier, Dotson.
Knox will have shared minutes with Morris but also Morris could play the 4 switching Knox to a wing perimeter shooter. I feel like he's gonna improve alot from last year and be a star.

I'd easily place Frank over Trier because of his ability to shutdown players and not ball hog. Trier is a stat padder like Timmy and Melo. Coach Fiz will notice that instantly and limit his minutes to surrounding him with all passers on a last minute backcourt. That's where I see a lineup of:

Dotson, Trier, Frank, Portis, Gibson

Let Trier ballhog it up but now you have rim protectors, facilitators and defense to compliment him.