NYC has had a lesser impact on the urban community than California and the south

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Who the fukk told you this? Crack cocain started in Harlem, spread to the other boroughs and later to the west coast.

this is an outright myth... when the "Crack epidemic" was going on in NYC... it was already established in LA.

before it was called "crack" it was rock cocaine out west.

what you know bout that batter ram breh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
NY rappers rapping on 808s just seems forced and out of place. "What goes around, comes around." I reside here and I agree that the NY hate was gonna come back and bite back hard. Now NY is the butt of all jokes in 2012 Hip Hop and everywhere else is popping on their music scene.

You do know rappers in NY were rapping over 808 drum beats back in the early-mid 80's. That was the sound of NY Hip Hop before Marley Marl made sampling James Brown breaks popular in the late 80's. Especially when Bambaata and other dudes were bringing in the synths, electro, etc early in the game. It's not a new thing. But that's all I wanted to say.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
You do know rappers in NY were rapping over 808 drum beats back in the early-mid 80's. Especially when Bambaata and other dudes were bringing in the synths, electro, etc early in the game. It's not a new thing. But that's all I wanted to say.

But NY rappers making strip club songs and driving in old school cars? Even the slang is stolen directly from the south. Yeah, old NY had that, but the 808s you hear today are southern inspired. I grew up on NY music and I know it takes a back seat to southern music and trends today. Hell, regionalism is pretty much a thing of the past.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
west might be on top but the nikkas representing ya would have you embarassed to be associated with them in real life. so who really winning? :usure:

They all get more bytches and money than you, so i really wouldnt care:pachaha:

mikishere

#byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Ice Cube was born in California. :pacspit:

Cube fathered the brand of hip hop ( gangsta rap) that took shyt global :yes:

52545.6a00d83451b05569e20134828f49a9970c-pi.jpg

:leostare:

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
But NY rappers making strip club songs and driving in old school cars? Even the slang is stolen directly from the south. Yeah, old NY had that, but the 808s you hear today are southern inspired. I grew up on NY music and I know it takes a back seat to southern music and trends today. Hell, regionalism is pretty much a thing of the past.
Old school caddys, lincolns, OJ's, well I don't know if you would consider it old school back then, were pretty popular out here in the 70's/early 80's. Strip Club/booty shaking songs were made popular by Luke and the Miami bass sound, so I'll give you that. And yes, nowadays southern influence is more shown up north with music features, the slang and people drinking syrup, etc. But the stuff that southern Hip Hop was doing in the 00's (with the 808's and car culture) was already done in NY in the beginning of the Hip Hop era. Difference is they (south) added their own flava to it.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
You do know rappers in NY were rapping over 808 drum beats back in the early-mid 80's. That was the sound of NY Hip Hop before Marley Marl made sampling James Brown breaks popular in the late 80's. Especially when Bambaata and other dudes were bringing in the synths, electro, etc early in the game. It's not a new thing. But that's all I wanted to say.

I was gonna say somethin to him but didn't wanna waste my time in this thread...