NOI brehs and former brehs, can you explain the climate after Elijah Muhammad died?

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can any of yall explain what happened to Khalid Muhammed and Farrakhan? I understand he was under pressure because of that speech he gave. But it has to be more to the story. It doesn't make any sense as to why Farrakhan was so mad at KM for going in on the Jews when Farrakhan habitually went in on the jews, especially to the point of shooting KM. What part of the story am I missing?

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Can any of yall explain what happened to Khalid Muhammed and Farrakhan? I understand he was under pressure because of that speech he gave. But it has to be more to the story. It doesn't make any sense as to why Farrakhan was so mad at KM for going in on the Jews when Farrakhan habitually went in on the jews, especially to the point of shooting KM. What part of the story am I missing?
I remember Khalid made the comment about the Jews at Kean College. Honestly I don't know the ins and outs of that relationship but here's a video on Youtube that someone put together of Khalid blasting Farrakhan, and Farrakhan doing a lecture on Khalid right after he had passed away.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Farrakhan never mentions death.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
this docu touches on some of it

@25:20

Inheritors of the Faith" plots the growth of the Nation of Islam under the leadership of Elijah Muhammad. After his death, his son, Warith, departs from his father's teachings and leads the Nation of Islam towards a more orthodox practice of Islam.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
remembering-master-fard-muhammad-1413324231529.jpeg

first I've heard of Master Fard resurfacing.

I watched that documentary posted above.

So I got 1 question which never seems to be addressed.... They really brush over it in the documentary and even in the Netflix doc on who killed Malcom X but,

How did Farad Muhammad, not being a Black man (and maybe not even from America), randomly walk into Detroit and convince black people to follow and believe his teaching about Black people and religion.

Not only was he not African American so he definitely couldn’t know their struggle from 1st hand but I don’t even think he had any credibility and seem nobody knows about his past.

Anyways, It’s crazy to me how the man who started the biggest black Muslim movement in USA wasn’t even Black or African American himself. What was his motive?

nobody finds it ironic or contradictory him teaching pro black ideas and what benefit does he get from it himself?

Is there a good documentary on Farad Muhammad that addresses all this?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I watched that documentary posted above.

So I got 1 question which never seems to be addressed.... They really brush over it in the documentary and even in the Netflix doc on who killed Malcom X but,

How did Farad Muhammad, not being a Black man (and maybe not even from America), randomly walk into Detroit and convince black people to follow and believe his teaching about Black people and religion.

Not only was he not African American so he definitely couldn’t know their struggle from 1st hand but I don’t even think he had any credibility and seem nobody knows about his past.

Anyways, It’s crazy to me how the man who started the biggest black Muslim movement in USA wasn’t even Black or African American himself. What was his motive?

nobody finds it ironic or contradictory him teaching pro black ideas and what benefit does he get from it himself?

Is there a good documentary on Farad Muhammad that addresses all this?
Great question, and this is discussion pinpoints why the Root section of this forum exists.

The first way to address it is to examine Elijah Muhammad's life, background and his interaction with Fard.
The chapter about EM from the book I mentioned earlier in the thread is in the spoiler.

I'd like to know how EM's path in the Great Migration compared with that of any of your family members who moved North or West during that period. Particularly the culture shock and transition.

I think that MF being of supposed Middle Eastern origin lent him a degree of credibility regarding Islam at the time.Even today, Islam is associated with Arabs.....imagine in the 1930s.

If you get a chance to read that chapter, would like to know your thoughts on the author's take.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great question, and this is discussion pinpoints why the Root section of this forum exists.

The first way to address it is to examine Elijah Muhammad's life, background and his interaction with Fard.
The chapter about EM from the book I mentioned earlier in the thread is in the spoiler.

I'd like to know how EM's path in the Great Migration compared with that of any of your family members who moved North or West during that period. Particularly the culture shock and transition.

I think that MF being of supposed Middle Eastern origin lent him a degree of credibility regarding Islam at the time.Even today, Islam is associated with Arabs.....imagine in the 1930s.

If you get a chance to read that chapter, would like to know your thoughts on the author's take.

Yea I’ll read it. But in the documentary in this thread they said Nation of Islam leaders teaches from the Bible not the Koran and basically was a different teaching than traditional middle eastern Islam

This was more geared to black African American Christians

So him being middle eastern (even if he was) wouldn’t seem to matter.

You can’t tell me not a single person asked him where he was from and how he knew what he knew and why black people religion mattered so much to him

Also why couldn’t African American people in Detroit just go to any other existing mosques if they wanted true credibility and teaching from a Arab perspective.

Too me what Fard did with Islam is more comparable to how Jehovas witness or Mormons reinterpreted Christianity. Cause he couldn’t teach them straight Islam..... (even if he was qualified). He’d have to first teach them Arabic and the customs and history of Middle East and open a mosque.... etc. All that wasn’t possible back in the day especially among the poor uneducated blacks in Detroit Fard most likely targeted

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

His identity was obscured to the point that no one knew his background. Plus, he came along at at time when all types of these black nationalist religion were popping up where the leaders were making all types of off all the wall origin stories. Even the precursor to Fard/NOI, had weird origin tales he was peddling

qmIIHTb.jpg

lh0stvH.jpg

You might not be aware but back in the day, darker, non-black immigrants who were low in numbers, sometimes took on a "black" indentity and simply blended into the larger afroamerican population. Fard didn't look "white" or "east asian", so it wouldn't have been that hard for him to pull it off

rk1BliD.jpg

I don't know what he thought his endgame would be but he was simply taking off where his teacher, Noble Drew Ali started and ended

PMPcNEI.jpg

t2Pf3Bt.jpg

00C2IHF.jpg

him being a person of color may have simply identified with the "black" cause and also hated white people:manny:

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Yea I’ll read it. But in the documentary in this thread they said Nation of Islam leaders teaches from the Bible not the Koran and basically was a different teaching than traditional middle eastern Islam

You can’t tell me not a single person asked him where he was from and how he knew what he knew and why black people religion mattered so much to him

Also why couldn’t African American people in Detroit just go to any other existing mosques if they wanted true credibility and teaching from a Arab perspective.

Too me what Fard did with Islam is more comparable to how Jehovas witness or Mormons reinterpreted Christianity. Cause he couldn’t teach them straight Islam..... (even if he was qualified). He’d have to first teach them Arabic and the customs and history of Middle East and open a mosque.... etc. All that wasn’t possible back in the day especially among the poor uneducated blacks in Detroit Fard most likely targeted
Oh but the Ahmadiyah missionaries were successful in opening mosque's/schools in urban areas where black folks were invited to join..

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

On what basis would a non Muslim of any race enter a mosque in 1930s America? I'd assume EVERY word was spoken in Arabic.

.Blending elements of a foreign faith that newcomers wouldn't have direct knowledge of, and incorporating bits of a faith that they were familiar with made it easier to sell.
  • It was relatively small organization when MF was around. It grew under EM's watch, really.
  • Conditions for Black people across the country were DIRE in the 1930s. Just 65 years after slavery and in the midst of jim crow, of course a doctrine of "white devil" and "Blacks are chosen of God" is going to be embraced.
  • The NOI it existed in isolation , and away from outside scrutiny until they got media coverage during Malcolm's time.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
His identity was obscured to the point that no one knew his background. Plus, he came along at at time when all types of these black nationalist religion were popping up where the leaders were making all types of off all the wall origin stories. Even the precursor to Fard/NOI, had weird origin tales he was peddling

qmIIHTb.jpg

lh0stvH.jpg

You might not be aware but back in the day, darker, non-black immigrants who were low in numbers, sometimes took on a "black" indentity and simply blended into the larger afroamerican population. Fard didn't look "white" or "east asian", so it wouldn't have been that hard for him to pull it off

rk1BliD.jpg

I don't know what he thought his endgame would be but he was simply taking off where his teacher, Noble Drew Ali started and ended

PMPcNEI.jpg

t2Pf3Bt.jpg

00C2IHF.jpg

him being a person of color may have simply identified with the "black" cause and also hated white people:manny:

Ok I didn’t know he was taught under Drew Ali. I thought he was the originator But still, he is credited with being integral in the creation of NOI and his influence is greater

I just see the black people back then as being real gullible if this guy with no background or credibility who might’ve looked black but probably culturally was different and had to have an accent or something if he wasn’t raised in a black family just popped up claiming to have the answers to all African Americans problems

Maybe he was able to get away with it better because he was “different” in a sense so they looked up to him

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh but the Ahmadiyah missionaries were successful in opening mosque's/schools in urban areas where black folks were invited to join..

So what’s the main difference between the mosques and teaching in the NOI back then compared to the Arab mosques in fundamental Islam of the time

Where African Americans segregated or discriminated against by the Arabs to the point they couldn’t join a regular mosque before NOI existed? Or were there even any mosques close enough to black communities back that they could even have the option?