NOI brehs and former brehs, can you explain the climate after Elijah Muhammad died?

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So when Elijah Muhammad died, his son Warith Deen Mohammed was unanimously appointed leader. How exactly did this happen? From what I understand, Warith Deen Mohammed did not believe in NOI teachings and would always get suspended from the NOI because he thought that orthodox Islam was the way and that Prophet Muhammad was the one true prophet and not Elijah Muhammad or WD Fard. If this is the case why was he appointed leader?

Also once Warith Deen Mohammed took over and converted everyone to traditional Islam was this welcomed by NOI brehs? I read somewhere that once Farrakhan re-established the NOI that half the brothers stuck with Warith Deen Mohammed and the other half went back to Farrakhan. Is this true? Did this cause any issues?

Is Warith Deen Mohammed the reason why in places like Philly, most of the brehs are orthodox muslims instead of NOI?

What do NOI brehs generally think about Warith Deen Mohammed? He contradicts a lot of things that Elijah Muhammad taught, isn't this blasphemy in the NOI? Didn't they kill Malcom for the same?

I'm just interested in this part of NOI history so any links or anything would be appreciated.

@Newark88 @ℒℴѵℯjay-electua

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I would check out Newspapers.com and search the archives.

Look at LOC archives Black Newspapers archives as well. It will be a good way to see what everyone was saying and thinking.

It will also give you some names to research and possibly reach out to for more information.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
So when Elijah Muhammad died, his son Warith Deen Mohammed was unanimously appointed leader. How exactly did this happen? From what I understand, Warith Deen Mohammed did not believe in NOI teachings and would always get suspended from the NOI because he thought that orthodox Islam was the way and that Prophet Muhammad was the one true prophet and not Elijah Muhammad or WD Fard. If this is the case why was he appointed leader?

Also once Warith Deen Mohammed took over and converted everyone to traditional Islam was this welcomed by NOI brehs? I read somewhere that once Farrakhan re-established the NOI that half the brothers stuck with Warith Deen Mohammed and the other half went back to Farrakhan. Is this true? Did this cause any issues?

Is Warith Deen Mohammed the reason why in places like Philly, most of the brehs are orthodox muslims instead of NOI?

What do NOI brehs generally think about Warith Deen Mohammed? He contradicts a lot of things that Elijah Muhammad taught, isn't this blasphemy in the NOI? Didn't they kill Malcom for the same?

I'm just interested in this part of NOI history so any links or anything would be appreciated.

@Newark88 @ℒℴѵℯjay-electua
Elijah Muhammad was called out publicly by the Orthodox Islam community in America, back when Malcolm was still in the NOI. Malcolm went on a propoganda campaign trying to deflect from their criticisms against EM and the teachings of the NOI.
The (orthodox)Muslims went on their own campaign in the press and academia saying that NOI teachings contradicted Islam. Arabs and African Muslims were in America and had mosques here in certain cities. Former NOI members would gravitate towards orthodox Islam rather than going back to being Christians. Orthodox Islam gained a stronghold in some of these places among AAs.

Not sure when WD started bending towards othodox, but churches get passed down to family and of course the leadership of NOI was passed down to him.

Gonna look for chapters from some books/articles I have to pinpoint this exact time you're talking about...and the reaction of the membership.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Elijah Muhammad was called out publicly by the Orthodox Islam community in America, back when Malcolm was still in the NOI. Malcolm went on a propoganda campaign trying to deflect from their criticisms against EM and the teachings of the NOI.
The (orthodox)Muslims went on their own campaign in the press and academia saying that NOI teachings contradicted Islam. Arabs and African Muslims were in America and had mosques here in certain cities. Former NOI members would gravitate towards orthodox Islam rather than going back to being Christians. Orthodox Islam gained a stronghold in some of these places among AAs.

Not sure when WD started bending towards othodox, but churches get passed down to family and of course the leadership of NOI was passed down to him.

Gonna look for chapters from some books/articles I have to pinpoint this exact time you're talking about...and the reaction of the membership.

WD's argument (Farrakhan touches on this too) was that Elijahs ultimate plan was to ease AAs into Sunni Islam, but due to the specific Conditions AAs were in they had to take a different path to 'correct' systematic conditioning. WD converting the NOI to Sunni Islam was the largest conversion of people to islam in American history or maybe even bigger than that. The avg AA who is Sunni Muslim more than likely had people who were under the orignal NOI.

Farrakhan among others created Splinter orgs, it just so happened that Farrakhan's was the most popular thus in modern times referred to as the NOI.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
I was born 2 years after Elijah Muhammad passed away and Imam WD Mohammed assumed the leadership. Majority of the community that was apart of the old NOI under THEM transition with Imam Mohammed on following the traditional tenets of Al Islam. Over the years, you would have those would leave Imam Mohammed’s community and join over Muslim communities that had more of an Arab influence. The biggest misconception from someone who was born and raised in Imam Mohammed’s community was you had some people thinking that because we followed the traditional or orthodox style of Islam, that we were following the Arabs. That’s completely not true. Imam Mohammed always stressed to us to keep our culture as black folks here in America. I’ve been to many lectures of his, especially when he would come here to Newark, where he would express this viewpoint. Another misconception was that he was totally against his the father. Again that’s not true. He was only against the theology of the NOI with the concept of God being a man. For the most part he only disagreed with the religious aspect. But he always held his father in high regard with us and emphasized the “do for self” mentality of establishing business, schools, getting into government, producing our own African American Muslim community but on the tenets of the Quran and way of life of Prophet Muhammad (SAW)

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Elijah sent one of his favorite son's, Akbar to Cairo to study arabic and islam. this was in the late 60's and into the 70's..Elijah was calculating and smart, many suggested that Elijah wanted to slowly move into the orthoidox islamic programme but needed prpoper guiadance and instructions.

This is where the Wallace deen factor is played, he set out for wallace to slowly amalgamate NOI into Sunni islamic or maybe shyte /ahmadiyah...

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Also a tidbit, when Imam Mohammed came back to the Nation in 74, it was Elijah who made him his assistant minister in Chicago. When you read Message To The Blackman, Elijah states I’m not here to teach you the religion but there would be someone after me who will teach you the religion. Also you have to study Imam Mohammed when he was Wallace, minister in Philly’s mosque. While the other minister’s at the time was teaching from the Bible, he was the only one really teaching from the Quran. Malcolm as well as Farrakhan would go to him to ask certain questions when it came to the Quran. So I say all that to say his mission or his purpose was to teach the religion and open our minds to have a broader understanding of the Quran and Prophet Muhammad. Not necessarily from the perspective of just solely the scholars overseas but from our understanding or school of thought here in America

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@dj-method-x ,

chapter and notes about Wallace Muhammad from this book

520663.jpg

Author is an African American scholar with several books about related topics.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Wallace deen claimed that master wd fard returned to the nation during the orthodoxy stand, many people refused to believe but wallace stated it was him..here is a photo..
fiji-paigham-haqq-400-imam-mohammed-with-fard-muhamad.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

and this a really good face to face interview with wallace deen and farrakhan...

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Wallace deen claimed that master wd fard returned to the nation during the orthodoxy stand, many people refduse dto belive but wallace stated it was him..here is a photo..

maxresdefault.jpg

and this a really good face to face interview with wallace deen and farrakhan...

You ever watch Siraj Wahhaj?

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wallace deen claimed that master wd fard returned to the nation during the orthodoxy stand, many people refduse dto belive but wallace stated it was him..here is a photo..

maxresdefault.jpg

Ive heard the Fard resurfaced too and was made iman somewhere in California. This stuff is mind blowing to me. Reps for everybody.