No Poison No Paradise - The Official Detroit Lions 2014 Offseason Thread

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Except Caldwell had Peyton Manning and Whisenhunt brought Warner back from the dead. Whis >>>>>> Caldwell

They're saying he might bring in Tressel as the OC. This is a disaster. :snoop:
Lets not act like having Boldin and Fitzgerald in their prime didn't helped Warner. Whisenhunt has a losing record as head coach with some talented Cardinal teams. Both head coaches lost a superbowl. Colts lost in super bowl because of manning pick 6. Not Caldwells fault Peyton choked. Caldwell has two superbowl rings as OC and whiz has one. And the Colts clearly tanked for Luck when they went 2-14. I can understand the criticism for caldwell because he is the furthest thing from exciting but to say whisenhunt is any better is stupid and baseless when comparing their careers.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Lets not act like having Boldin and Fitzgerald in their prime didn't helped Warner. Whisenhunt has a losing record as head coach with some talented Cardinal teams. Both head coaches lost a superbowl. Colts lost in super bowl because of manning pick 6. Not Caldwells fault Peyton choked. Caldwell has two superbowl rings as OC and whiz has one. And the Colts clearly tanked for Luck when they went 2-14. I can understand the criticism for caldwell because he is the furthest thing from exciting but to say whisenhunt is any better is stupid and baseless when comparing their careers.
All those guys were there before Whisenhunt arrived and the team went 5-11 with Warner playing like shyt. Whisenhunt gets there and Warner's career is revived.

After Warner left and all that was left at QB was guys like Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Ryan Lindley and Kevin Kolb, the Cards went 5-11, 8-8 (:wow:) and 5-11. Peyton goes down for the Colts and Indy goes 2-14.

People like to point at Caldwell's work with QBs as a strong point. If he was so good with them, why didn't Indy keep him to mentor Luck? Why did Baltimore's offense become absolutely pathetic in Caldwell's first full season as OC and Flacco was worse than ever? Ray Rice looked like Trent Richardson this season.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
All those guys were there before Whisenhunt arrived and the team went 5-11 with Warner playing like shyt. Whisenhunt gets there and Warner's career is revived.

After Warner left and all that was left at QB was guys like Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Ryan Lindley and Kevin Kolb, the Cards went 5-11, 8-8 (:wow:) and 5-11. Peyton goes down for the Colts and Indy goes 2-14.

People like to point at Caldwell's work with QBs as a strong point. If he was so good with them, why didn't Indy keep him to mentor Luck? Why did Baltimore's offense become absolutely pathetic in Caldwell's first full season as OC and Flacco was worse than ever? Ray Rice looked like Trent Richardson this season.
Unlike detroit, Baltimore's offense lacks talent. They have Torrey smith, washed up ray rice, and a bad offensive line. And flacco has always been a mediocre qb with limited potential.
Colts decided to press restart and start completely over by tanking for Luck. They made the playoffs the last two years by default because they are one a few consistent teams in weak AFC.

Warner has never been good without elite talent around him. Not discrediting warner but when you spend the majority of your career throwing to bruce, ****, faulk, bolden, Fitzgerald. You will have great numbers. Look at Stafford with CJ.

Whisenhunt brought in kolb to be the franchise qb and it failed. Whisenhunt couldn't get quality play out of Skelton, hall, anderson, Lindley, leinart or hoyer. That is his or the front offices fault. He needed to make at least one of those guys serviceable with his great coaching. But you expected Caldwell to win with kerry collins, painter, and dan orlovsky. Whis has also Drafted multiple RBs that were all bust. And probably cost SD the game with Den due to his conservative play calling

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Unlike detroit, Baltimore's offense lacks talent. They have Torrey smith, washed up ray rice, and a bad offensive line. And flacco has always been a mediocre qb with limited potential.
Colts decided to press restart and start completely over by tanking for Luck. They made the playoffs the last two years by default because they are one a few consistent teams in weak AFC.

Warner has never been good without elite talent around him. Not discrediting warner but when you spend the majority of your career throwing to bruce, ****, faulk, bolden, Fitzgerald. You will have great numbers. Look at Stafford with CJ.

Whisenhunt brought in kolb to be the franchise qb and it failed. Whisenhunt couldn't get quality play out of Skelton, hall, anderson, Lindley, leinart or hoyer. That is his or the front offices fault. He needed to make at least one of those guys serviceable with his great coaching. But you expected Caldwell to win with kerry collins, painter, and dan orlovsky. Whis has also Drafted multiple RBs that were all bust. And probably cost SD the game with Den due to his conservative play calling
So all of a sudden Ray Rice is washed up?

Like I said before, Warner was there with Fitz and Boldin the two years prior to Whisenhunt arriving and he was ass. Whiz gets there and he's taking to the Super Bowl again. Phil was mediocre the last two years in SD; Whiz becomes the OC and he's back to an elite level.

Kolb is the only guy out of those QBs even in the league anymore. I guess nobody could get anything out of them. Should he make me a Pro Bowl caliber QB if I go to training camp?

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
So all of a sudden Ray Rice is washed up?

Like I said before, Warner was there with Fitz and Boldin the two years prior to Whisenhunt arriving and he was ass. Whiz gets there and he's taking to the Super Bowl again. Phil was mediocre the last two years in SD; Whiz becomes the OC and he's back to an elite level.

Kolb is the only guy out of those QBs even in the league anymore. I guess nobody could get anything out of them. Should he make me a Pro Bowl caliber QB if I go to training camp?
Rb fall off very quickly. Ray Rice is hitting that wall. He has a lot of carries. Unless your a freak like AP, rb don't last long. Pierce was more effective than Rice this year.

You just made my point for me. If whisenhunt couldn't get all those scrubs to win games why doesn't that same argument apply to Caldwell. Warner is a MVP hall of fame qb with one superbowl ring just like Manning. You give all the credit to whiz for warner but Caldwell gets criticized because he coached manning? Your logic makes no sense. They were both in the exact same circumstance and both had the same result.

Rivers bounced back from a bad year on mediocre teams and played like his usual self, he is not elite. The emergence of keenan allan and good health at rb had a lot to do with SD offensive improvement. How about giving Caldwell some credit for turning Flaccco around and actually winning a superbowl which eaned flacco a huge payday.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Matt Leinart: Warner, not Whisenhunt, got us to a Super Bowl
leinartwarner.jpg
Getty Images
Matt Leinart played for Ken Whisenhunt for three seasons in Arizona. Leinart was not impressed with his coach.

Asked on FOX Sports Live whether Whisenhunt will succeed in Tennessee, Leinart expressed skepticism, saying that Whisenhunt is wrongly credited for getting the 2008 Cardinals to the Super Bowl. According to Leinart, it was Kurt Warner who ran the offense that season, not only on the field but in meetings, where Leinart says Warner devised the game plans and Whisenhunt did nothing more than go along for the ride.

I don’t think it’s a great fit, and I don’t think it’s great timing, and here’s why,” Leinart said of the Titans hiring Whisenhunt. “You look at his tenure in Arizona — only two years, he had success, and in those two years, Kurt Warner ran that football team — I was a part of it. Every single Monday, Kurt Warner would come in and implement 20 to 30 new plays which he would say ‘I want these in my game plan.’ We became a spread offense and we became Kurt Warner’s offense. Then Kurt Warner retires, they go 5-11 twice and they go 8-8.”

For his part, Warner said on NFL Network that he thinks Whisenhunt will do a great job with the Titans. Warner added, however, that he thought the Lions — who also wanted Whisenhunt — would have been a better choice for what Whisenhunt brings to the table.

“I’m excited for my old coach Ken Whisenhunt and the job down in Tennessee,” Warner said. “I think I’m a little bit surprised like my most people; you felt like a better fit might be in Detroit just because of the pieces that he had, specifically the quarterback he had there.”

Leinart said he doesn’t think the Titans will succeed with Whisenhunt because Jake Lockerisn’t the answer at quarterback. Asked directly if he likes Whisenhunt, Leinart laughed incredulously and answered, “Do I like Whisenhunt?”

I’d take that as a no.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A look at the Detroit Lions' free agents for the 2014 offseason.

The Detroit Lions have some notable players set to hit free agency in March when the 2014 league year begins. In total, there are 24 players currently on their roster who are set to become free agents in 2014, including 16 players who will be unrestricted free agents. You can check out the full list below.

Unrestricted free agents (15)

QB Shaun Hill
WR Kevin Ogletree
WR Micheal Spurlock
TE Brandon Pettigrew
OT Jason Fox
OG Dylan Gandy
C Dominic Raiola
DE Willie Young
DE Israel Idonije
DT Andre Fluellen
LB Rocky McIntosh
CB Rashean Mathis
S John Wendling
K David Akers
LS Don Muhlbach

Restricted free agents (3)

RB Joique Bell
WR Kris Durham
TE Dorin dikkerson

Exclusive-rights free agents (4)

WR Jeremy Ross
TE Matt Veldman
LB Julian Stanford
CB Chris Greenwood

Which of these free agents do you think will actually be back with the Lions next season?

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mathis played well enough for a second look perhaps..cheap/depth

Dom for cheap as well
perhaps Willie

Joique is a must, wouldnt mind Durham and Ross back as well

Gopefully Fauria ups his game, along with Michael Williams from Alabama