Nintendo's new $199 "Switch Lite" can't actually switch....

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
Nintendo’s new Switch Lite can’t actually ‘switch’

Nintendo’s new Switch Lite can’t actually ‘switch’
The new Switch Lite was specifically designed for handheld gaming

hqdefault.jpg

Story by
Mix

Shares

Nintendo has officially given us a first look at its upcoming Switch Lite console, aimed at handheld gaming.

The Japanese company says the new device – which is oddly reminiscent of the Wii U – will launch on September 20 with a suggested retail price of $199. It’ll also be available in three different color variations: yellow, gray, and turquoise.

In contrast to the standard version, the Switch Lite has a more compact body factor and sports “integrated controls.” It also comes without a kickstand and support for video output to television sets… which pretty much means that you can no longer “switch” between handheld and dock mode.

Nintendo_Switch_LIte_1.jpg

Another slightly disappointing detail is that the Switch Lite only supports games that work in handheld mode, so forget about playing titles like Super Mario Party on the new system.

The good thing is that Nintendo will point out games’ compatibility for the Lite model on the back of game packaging and on the Nintendo eStore. Hopefully that will help with avoiding confusion.

Today’s announcement confirms previous reports, hinting Nintendo is developing two new variants of the Switch, including a Pro version that could offer “enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers.” Unfortunately, there are still no details on the Pro version.

For more gear, gadget, and hardware news and reviews, follow Plugged on Twitter and Flipboard.

Last edited:

CookisaCac

I aint lyrical
Daps
and the 2DS can't 3D.

a non story. author is a moron
This is the ultimate reach. Ive literally never used the 3d feature or saw someone using it. They realized that and made the 2ds.

Switch was named "switch" for a reason. It was supposed to be a hybrid between handheld and home console, you can "break" off the controllers and play anywhere multiplayer.

New switch cant, its a bigger "non oled screen" Vita

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
This is the ultimate reach. Ive literally never used the 3d feature or saw someone using it. They realized that and made the 2ds.

Switch was named "switch" for a reason. It was supposed to be a hybrid between handheld and home console, you can "break" off the controllers and play anywhere multiplayer.

New switch cant, its a bigger "non oled screen" Vita

How is it a reach? and 3DS was named 3DS for a reason, yet we have the 2DS.

Why can't the same apply to the Switch? They did research, and even provided stats in their 2017 financial meeting that Japan plays portable more than docked. They're definitely aimming this at that market.

CookisaCac

I aint lyrical
Daps
How is it a reach? and 3DS was named 3DS for a reason, yet we have the 2DS.

Why can't the same apply to the Switch? They did research, and even provided stats in their 2017 financial meeting that Japan plays portable more than docked. They're definitely aimming this at that market.
check the bolded, so you agree with me that this isnt a "switch"?

CookisaCac

I aint lyrical
Daps
:gucci: no. I'm not agreeing with you.

It's still a Switch. It can play switch games just like a 2DS can play 3DS games.

It's part of that product family.
Ight breh, you obv just want to be right. They system was called a switch for a reason. Switch lite takes away all those reasons. ALL. It wasnt something simple like turning off 3d