Nintendo switch exclusive Xenoblade Chronicles 2 when undocked is only 368p

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
Yeah I'm now 100% convinced this was a 3DS game that got scrapped and rushed out to the Switch

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Game is great, looks nothin like a 3DS game. When docked it looks perfectly fine.

Idk why undocked runs worse. But it is true in portable mode the resolution is trash, doesn't make the game bad though.

I do wonder though. Docking it doesn't give it any extra hardware boost, so why are these devs able to do 720p runnin smoothly on the tv, but then they have to cut the resolution to get it working right on the portable mode. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't it be easier to get it to run smoothly on the smaller screen?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Game is great, looks nothin like a 3DS game. When docked it looks perfectly fine.

Idk why undocked runs worse. But it is true in portable mode the resolution is trash, doesn't make the game bad though.

I do wonder though. Docking it doesn't give it any extra hardware boost, so why are these devs able to do 720p runnin smoothly on the tv, but then they have to cut the resolution to get it working right on the portable mode. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't it be easier to get it to run smoothly on the smaller screen?
What game would you compare it to?

I'm on the fence thinking about buying it but honestly a lot of the JRPGs people have been praising have been trash to me.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
What game would you compare it to?

I'm on the fence thinking about buying it but honestly a lot of the JRPGs people have been praising have been trash to me.
I can say the music is incredible off the bat, and once things open up the world is super fun to explore.

The story has been interesting so far too and I like the characters. They do have a standard anime art style and kind've a Tales vibe to their design.

The combat is fairly deep but it's kind've like say FF12. Where character attack automatically like an MMO. And special abilities build up and have cool downs, there are mechanics to timing and switching in and out blade and abilities etc. If you don't like the idea of the characters kind've auto attacking instead of real time swinging you may not enjoy it.

There is an affinity mechanic too where you have to build up affinity with characters and towns to level them up etc. I've enjoyed it mostly because I've been engrossed in the world, but you might not it's a tough call.

Sometimes I cut JRPGs some slack and give them more time than I would other games cause I got a soft spot for em.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I can say the music is incredible off the bat, and once things open up the world is super fun to explore.

The story has been interesting so far too and I like the characters. They do have a standard anime art style and kind've a Tales vibe to their design.

The combat is fairly deep but it's kind've like say FF12. Where character attack automatically like an MMO. And special abilities build up and have cool downs, there are mechanics to timing and switching in and out blade and abilities etc. If you don't like the idea of the characters kind've auto attacking instead of real time swinging you may not enjoy it.

There is an affinity mechanic too where you have to build up affinity with characters and towns to level them up etc. I've enjoyed it mostly because I've been engrossed in the world, but you might not it's a tough call.

Sometimes I cut JRPGs some slack and give them more time than I would other games cause I got a soft spot for em.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm still not convinced, but thanks for taking the time.

My just say fukk it and buy it. Ain't like there's much else out right now.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Don't have one. Any games I don't finish, I'm not gonna finish.

Not into shyt like asscreed or COD, so the immediate future is looking kinda slim for me.
Idk, your name sounds like a name you'll find in a game like sea of thieves :manny: open beta coming soon :tu:

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It may have been a Wii U game, but the devs said they were able to get it done because they had a lot of the art/tech done from the first one, which was a 3ds game.

So it makes sense it would look as it does.
It has nothing to do with any of this. There are just as demanding games like Skyrim and Zelda hitting 720p/near 720p. It was built on the engine used in Xenoblade Chronicles X, which is a Wii U game. It should be able to do at least 600p in the handheld. It's just not well optimized in handheld cause they rushed it to meet a 2017 release date.
There's an expansion pass with content promised into the end of next year so it will be continually worked on. We can only hope they fix the issues cause they are correctable. It's not a power issue or anything like that.

It's unfortunate cause the game is really fun with a great battle system and likable characters. If you're on the outside looking in, I'd wait for a patch. The game is worth getting but if you're on the fence, why not wait till it's running as well as it can?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It has nothing to do with any of this. There are just as demanding games like Skyrim and Zelda hitting 720p/near 720p. It was built on the engine used in Xenoblade Chronicles X, which is a Wii U game. It should be able to do at least 600p in the handheld. It's just not well optimized in handheld cause they rushed it to meet a 2017 release date.
There's an expansion pass with content promised into the end of next year so it will be continually worked on. We can only hope they fix the issues cause they are correctable. It's not a power issue or anything like that.

It's unfortunate cause the game is really fun with a great battle system and likable characters. If you're on the outside looking in, I'd wait for a patch. The game is worth getting but if you're on the fence, why not wait till it's running as well as it can?
No. It's built on the Xenoblade chronicles 3ds engine.

Not saying that's an excuse, but it is what it is.

And this is what I was saying before. A lot of recent JRPGs are built with handhelds/mobile in mind so you can see/feel that when playing.

shyts just don't feel/look as polished/complete as other console releases.