Nicolas Cage the Gawd's new insane looking movie "Mandy" dir. Panos Cosmatos

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Not really my style. I did like the score and the bill duke scene was dope. The chainsaw fukkery too :russ:

and a few of cages lines had me :heh: "you ripped ma shirt!!"

But not a film i'll have the urge to revisit personally

Daps
Apart from the bathroom scene, it falls well short of harnessing Cage's self-proclaimed nouveau-shamanic style (I was constantly reminded of how well Wild at Heart managed to use his OTT, slapstick schtick to greater effect in comparison, in fact, it accomplished everything this film set out to do), which is a must if you're going to use him as the centerpiece. To make matters worse, as a director/writer you can't fake the funk, your films are a window into who you are, therefore, you can't pretend to be someone/something you're not or you better be damn good at trying to. David Lynch makes you believe he's been down that rabbit hole where only the subconcious exists; Lars von Trier makes you believe he's a pretentious, entitled cracker who wallows in his own introspection; Jodorowsky makes you believe he's forever trapped in an hallucinogen-induced state and a mental vegetable to reality, and their work is better off because of it.

Unfortunately for Cosmatos, he couldn't make it more obvious that he didn't live it; he just witnessed shyt from his folk's pad, scribbled in his notepad and created his life.

Last edited:
Daps
Really liked it. Could have cut a bunch in the first half and it would have been perfect.

Once he gets to Bill Fuke this movie is:banderas:

The score :banderas:
See, I feel like that scene reflected all that was wrong with the film; the frayed thread of mysticism it was hanging onto was snapped by the exposition.

We don't need to be told the who, what, when, where, why, and how, explicitly, it takes us out of the world it spent so long trying to create. Hell, I mean it spent the entirety of the first two acts trying to drown us in nonsense, and instead of carrying that through with Duke's character through allegorization, we get a breakdown, specifically detailing what was once the unknown.

Last edited:

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Cage's face at the end when he's in the car was so goofy :RussellMartBrook:

It was a mix of :merchant:+:dwillhuh:

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A year with this movie and Hereditary as well as all of the comic book movie piff, sorry to bother you, blackkklansmen…

My cup runneth over