Nick Young: Steph and KD were neck and neck for FMVP, then Steph had a bad game, was in tears even after win. KD was trying to get him it

rbksNgirbauds

Even on the court we stay flyy, Jada & A.I.
Daps
I knew KD was trying to get him FMVP...

I didnt know Steph and his team was legitimately upset that KD won it. Yall knew that part?

Steph got shytted on for the award in '15, no debate there. Bron deserved the praise he got for that series though, he was the best player in that series by a mile. Watching it in real time, there is no one ever, on that stage, who did that kind of carry job in The Finals. He pushed a 67-win team to 6 with that roster around him. He deserved his praise...

I've always agreed that Steph not winning it in '15, shouldnt have been weaponized against him...

Bruh nobody snubs Kobe in All-Time conversations. What case does he have as a Top 3 player ever?

All of the guys typically ahead of him won more championships as a #1...

All of the guys ahead of him were Day One dominant in the NBA, as a matter of fact Kobe is the ONLY GOAT10 guy who wasnt dominant out the gates:

Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Bird, Magic, Mike, Shaq, Duncan, LeBron. All of these guys were INSTANT difference makers at the pro level...

Kobe becoming one of the 10 greatest players ever is a testament to his greatness because guys dont come in light and rise to that historical esteem. And this matters because if you're playing from this deficit, where other guys had a more impactful first 3-4 years than you, you better have the greatest career ever to leap these guys...

Most of the guys ahead of him have more dominant showings in the championship round (The Finals). Only Wilt and Bird really match his subpar-ness in that round. Kobe played in alot of Finals. He has one, 2009, that he was wall to wall dominant. Just one, he has a lot of mid Finals, a ton of mid Finals games. And remember, the comparison here isn't to the average player, it's to the other 9 greatest players ever. So this matters, how can you assume Top 3 when so many of these other guys were just better in that final round than you more consistently?

Kobe is the only GOAT10 guy who won most of his championships as a #2. Wilt, Bird, Mike, and LeBron won all their rings as a #1. So there's that, if you're comparing him to those four this is a part of the conversation...

Russell won 8 of 11 as a #1. Kareem won 3 of 6 as a #1. Magic won 3 of 5 as a #1. Shaq won 3 of 4 as a #1. Duncan won 4 of 5 as a #1..............Kobe won 2 of 5 as a #1.

We not gonna act like we don't understand that being the best player on a championship team matters. If it was strictly about ring count, we'd have Pippen, Havlicek, and a lot of other Celtics ahead of Kobe since he only has 5. But we know its not a ring counting thing...

Kobe and Shaq are the only GOAT10 guys with just one single MVP. Every other GOAT10 guy asserted themselves more dominantly on the sport that they won multiple MVPs. If you say Kobe got snubbed from winning MVPs, that's fine, as long as you're consistent and fine tooth comb the other 9 guys careers, and mention the years they didn't win MVP that they could've as well...

What case can be made that Kobe had a more impressive prime than ANY of the other 9 guys? Can any case be made that he peaked higher than any of the other 9 guys? Meaning Kobe at his absolute best, what was it, and how are you arguing that its better than these other guys at their absolute bests? The reality is that he peaked lower and had a less dominant prime. Again, this doesn't mean "low" or "not dominant", its strictly in relation to the other 9 GOAT10 players, obviously Kobe is one of the most dominant players, one of the highest peaks in NBA history...

Its not special compared to tge other 9 guys. Yall gotta stop this "Kobe gets snubbed" bullshyt...

Kobe doesn't get snubbed, he's where he belongs which is people acknowledging how great he made himself. You guys typically want him Top 3 based upon ring counting, yet we all understand all rings aren't viewed the same. Yet with Kobe we move the standards for him, because he's our favorite. We do this "he was the closest to Mike" thing, as if that means he should automatically be viewed as a Top 3 player. Thats not how this works and we know it but yall try to will it for Kobe...

Last point, Bron didnt throw the '11 Finals, he just sucked, plain and simple. Also people who really objectively watch ball, never held Steph previously not having a FMVP against him. The people who did are the ones who were pushing bullshyt, no one else cared that he didnt have one...
Yeah he deserved praise to an extent, but most valuable is a winners award by default in my opinion..no matter how valiant an effort you put up, the team could've just lost without you bruh :pachaha: . So who are you most valuable to? And
You salute the effort, you put respect on it, but damn they od with it.
37 in the swinger game, no award :sadcam: thats tough. But that's why I knew that's what it was then.

I didn't know about the teammates tho, and I don't care either tbh. They riding for the franchise, whoever it was. I salute the loyalty, them good soldiers in my eyes :yeshrug:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Breh Kobe literally proved he was capable of winning multiple rings being a number #1 option... but people still don't want to rep him high cuz he had Shaq... even though he PROVED HE.COULD WIN MULTIPLE WITHOUT HIM

And Kobe had several series where he was equally important or more than Shaq

It's why I hate the finals MVP award. People inflate it's worth on the value of a player.

There's no reason KD should be held in higher regard than Harden but he is because he got finals MVPs after joining the most selfless superstar of the modern era

And like that other guy said, Lebron possibly threw 2011 because he knew he would never get respect if he wasn't "the best player on his own team" for his first ring.

I fear similar things will happen with Tatum's legacy... he's the teams best player for 97% of the year and the most important piece but people will literally act like he isn't that good becuase he struggled in the finals compared to Brown
I didn't notice FMVPs becoming a hallowed award of significance until it became the "I guarded LeBron" award ('14 Kawhi, '15 Iggy)...

From that moment forward NBA Media, and fans by extension, elevated this award beyond it ever was. There are posters who said this was held against Kobe pre-2009, but they also admit that was in online spaces. I wasn't on these type websites 16+ years ago, we weren't having no damn FMVP discussions with the people and places I was around...

Anyone who used the FMVP as a way to downplay Kobe exposes themselves as basketball illiterate. I've never made that argument online or in the real world...

Same with Steph...

LeBron didnt throw 2011. When dud you start buying into these flimsy conspiracies?

People will act like Brown is better than Tatum because Brown has closed the gap on them as players, and they were never that far apart anyway. The 3peat Lakers, Shaq was arguably the best player in basketball the duration of that run. The only mf arguable would be Duncan...

This never took away from appreciating Kobe in real time, the same way it didn't take away from appreciating Kareem as a 2 and 3 to Magic in the mid to late 80s...
Yeah he deserved praise to an extent, but most valuable is a winners award by default in my opinion..no matter how valiant an effort you put up, the team could've just lost without you bruh :pachaha: . So who are you most valuable to? And
You salute the effort, you put respect on it, but damn they od with it.
37 in the swinger game, no award :sadcam: thats tough. But that's why I knew that's what it was then.

I didn't know about the teammates tho, and I don't care either tbh. They riding for the franchise, whoever it was. I salute the loyalty, them good soldiers in my eyes :yeshrug:
I agree he deserved '15 bruh (Steph)...

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
KD was the best player by far on those team and he deserved the finals mvp and is the main reason he won, remove him and the warriors lose to the cavs in both finals.

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
I didn't notice FMVPs becoming a hallowed award of significance until it became the "I guarded LeBron" award ('14 Kawhi, '15 Iggy)...

From that moment forward NBA Media, and fans by extension, elevated this award beyond it ever was. There are posters who said this was held against Kobe pre-2009, but they also admit that was in online spaces. I wasn't on these type websites 16+ years ago, we weren't having no damn FMVP discussions with the people and places I was around...

Anyone who used the FMVP as a way to downplay Kobe exposes themselves as basketball illiterate. I've never made that argument online or in the real world...

Same with Steph...

LeBron didnt throw 2011. When dud you start buying into these flimsy conspiracies?

People will act like Brown is better than Tatum because Brown has closed the gap on them as players, and they were never that far apart anyway. The 3peat Lakers, Shaq was arguably the best player in basketball the duration of that run. The only mf arguable would be Duncan...

This never took away from appreciating Kobe in real time, the same way it didn't take away from appreciating Kareem as a 2 and 3 to Magic in the mid to late 80s...

I agree he deserved '15 bruh (Steph)...
Brother let me push back on this a bit, i think it says something significant about a player on who rises or falls in the toughest and pressure filled occasions and the finals is just that type of event, the fact that brown has been the best player in this team against a good mavs team should count for something and shouldnt be dismissed at all. FMVP shows you were the most important and primary reason for your team success on the biggest stage. Take the NFL if patrick mahomes had 3 superbowls and no superbowl MVPS or brady had won 7rings with never being an MVP in any of the games that would be a huge indictment on the players so lets not excuse it in basketball. FMVP matters and is a huge criteria for when grading players

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Brother let me push back on this a bit, i think it says something significant about a player on who rises or falls in the toughest and pressure filled occasions and the finals is just that type of event, the fact that brown has been the best player in this team against a good mavs team should count for something and shouldnt be dismissed at all. FMVP shows you were the most important and primary reason for your team success on the biggest stage. Take the NFL if patrick mahomes had 3 superbowls and no superbowl MVPS or brady had won 7rings with never being an MVP in any of the games that would be a huge indictment on the players so lets not excuse it in basketball. FMVP matters and is a huge criteria for when grading players
It shouldn't matter as much as it does because it unnecessarily undermines what the star player built.

The Finals isn't alwyas the biggest stage either - we all know certain years, one conference is tougher than the other, so the conference finals ends up being tougher sometimes. There are many champions for whom the finals wasn't even the toughest series, because teams matchup differently.

Back to the first point:

Did KD perform better on defense and scoring in those series? Yes.

But using those finals MVPs to claim he was their best player and then knock Curry 's ranking all time is dumb. Because that whole team was built in context by Curry. KD was great but was still in an ancillary role. Proven by how they replaced him with Wiggins and they still made it back to the finals.

Same with knocking Kobe or Duncan for their lack of Finals MVPs. Yes, Shaq was better than Kobe during their three peat, but Kobe proved he could win multiple afterwards, and was at times more important than Shaq in the WCF/WCSF.

The NFL comparison barely works because by default the QB is the most important position, so 90% of the time they win it unless someone else has a monster game

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
FMVP shows you were the most important and primary reason for your team success on the biggest stage.
I don't agree with this at all...

All the Finals MVP means, is who had the best Finals. It doesn't mean you're the most important player on your team or the primary reason for your team's success...

The season that happened from the first game of the year thru game 82, are what establishes a team's pecking order. Very, very rarely, is there a team with no clear #1. When people use this "1A" or "1B" thing they don't realize they are clearly showing that they know there's someone who is a #2...

In the case of the Warriors, I agree with you, I've always said that Durant was that team's best player, and I was alive to witness the real time consensus that he was that team's best player. Steph was the most important player, but that version of Steph wasn't a better player than that version of Durant....

But it's not because Durant won the Finals MVPs, I don't care that he won them. The same way I don't care that Steph didn't win it in 2015, or that Kawhi won it in 2014, or that Parker won it in '07...

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
In the case of the Warriors, I agree with you, I've always said that Durant was that team's best player, and I was alive to witness the real time consensus that he was that team's best player. Steph was the most important player, but that version of Steph wasn't a better player than that version of Durant....
U nikkas are shameless man :mjlol:

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And yall nikkas had no issues with Bron stacking the deck :mjlol:
I mean I would’ve like to have seen the Heat vs that Warriors team that’s a fair balance. When the Warriors was deep the rest of the league wasn’t on par with them. That Heat team face a deep Mavericks team, a deep Thunder team, and a deep Spurs team. The Warriors faced the Cavs over and over again. Bron didn’t have help like that his second run with the Cavs. Kyrie left early in his career.