Nick Cannon Says His Preference for Non-Black Women Stems from his Mother Being a “Very Light-Skinned, Mixed-Raced Woman”

Daps
Why not stand on business and just say I don't find darker skinned women attractive as light skinned women?

What's up with the mental gymnastics? Why would you throw your mother under the bus like that to appease someone else?

Most black men under the age of 50 prefer non-black women or lighter skinned black women and that's okay.
Mmmm....I'd say brehs under 50 either go with normal Black women or white women.

Brehs over 50 try to thread the needle with exoticals, Afro Latinas, lite brites etc. They date WW now but they weren't doing that shyt in the 70s/80s/90s. Millenial brehs had to show Gen X/Boomers how to pawg.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
As someone who uses the last emoji on the keyboard I am fascinated by how many black folk think like this. It is definitely an ingrained self hate thing that people see themselves as lighter than they are.

I’ve been doing an unofficial study for over 10 years now:

I am not the darkest person I know. But I am the ONLY person I know that uses this 🤷🏿‍♂️ color emoji. Everyone goes down a shade to a lighter one

But the kicker is, super light bright folk do the opposite! They OVER compensate. Nggas TI complexion will be like 👋🏾

I’ve noticed this for YEARS
You’re actually right! And I noticed this because in my family ppl actually use emojis that look like their exact complexion, but I noticed that I don’t see a lot of ppl use the dark skinned emojis outside of my fam

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
I like it when ppl don’t play in other people’s faces on obvious stuff.

Like I just said in another response- Black women of all complexions get love, but if people get honest and talk about attraction, preferences, etc most of this stuff starts when we are young. Every darker skinned young woman has to deal with the complexion discussion, whether it’s being told that guys prefer LS or that even though she’s dark she’s pretty for a dark skinned girl.

It’s not insecurity as someone tried to say earlier, it’s a lived experience.

It’s the same reason people acknowledge that LS women are placed on a pedestal. What’s the opposite of that experience?

It does get better as people get older because the media and cultural influence can fall back a little and people begin to acknowledge beauty/attractive features in different complexions. But when you’re young what he said in that comment is the attitude that darker skinned girls get from a lot of dudes.
Okay, yeah I agree with this.

Heres the problem:

(I'm not gonna single you out for this by the way)

Talks about colorism within BM never end there.

They always go further.

It's never just "a lot of black men prefer lighter skin, and some put down darker skin black women, disappointingly."

It's "majority of black men prefer and date light skin women". And when brehs date non-lightskin BW, it's "she's has eurocentric features/not dark enough".

And when she is dark and has zero "euro features", some of those same people then call her ugly! Or nitpick the relationship and wish she was just with a white man anyway.

And they do this, while not all of them are even interested in BM. They be casually having a crush on non-BM.

So as a BM, you begin to think it's all just jealousy.

And as a BM, you realize that you can't win.

Because too many of the women that call out colorism (at least online), are insincere and just don't like BM period. Not all of them are doing it in good faith.

That's why brehs are resistant to acknowledging it and gaslight.

Ideally we'd acknowledge it as it pertains to our family, and not pedastilzie other women. But why bother engaging in it with a stranger who may not even like your kind?

Can you acknowledge that?

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Okay, yeah I agree with this.

Heres the problem:

(I'm not gonna single you out for this by the way)

Talks about colorism within BM never end there.

They always go further.

It's never just "a lot of black men prefer lighter skin, and some put down darker skin black women, disappointingly."

It's "majority of black men prefer and date light skin women". And when brehs date non-lightskin BW, it's "she's has eurocentric features/not dark enough".

And when she is dark and has zero "euro features", some of those same people then call her ugly! Or nitpick the relationship and wish she was just with a white man anyway.

And they do this, while not all of them are even interested in BM. They be casually having a crush on non-BM.

So as a BM, you begin to think it's all just jealousy.

And as a BM, you realize that you can't win.

Because too many of the women that call out colorism (at least online), are insincere and just don't like BM period. Not all of them are doing it in good faith.

That's why brehs are resistant to acknowledging it and gaslight.

Ideally we'd acknowledge it as it pertains to our family, and not pedastilzie other women. But why bother engaging in it with a stranger who may not even like your kind?

Can you acknowledge that?
Are there some psycho, insecure women who are never satisfied? Sure. Absolutely. I can totally admit that.

And I don’t think it’s that they all don’t like BM. I think it’s a mix of a lot of them dealing with colorism (being mocked), being ignored by the BM they like, maybe being less attractive and dealing with that as a woman, etc.

But, despite that, there is truth in the experience darker girls have in this community. Ol boy expressed the preferences of a lot of men, especially younger men. I was simply saying “Thanks for saying what we feel”. 🤷🏾‍♀️

I’ve said before- I'm not bitter. I can speak about this from a different perspective because I’ve been one of those girls who got the “I usually only talk to light skin girls but…” or a dude checks to make sure he can see my veins, or ppl ask if I'm mixed with something if I wear my hair a certain way. I’ve had brehs say wild shyt to me because they are attracted to my facial features but not necessarily my skin color. It makes it very easy to spot out the men with complexion issues and move around them.

These are the weird experiences young black women have, but when you’re 15, 18, 22 you might not be able to fully verbalize your discomfort or understand the mentality of the person saying those things to you or how they make you feel about yourself, your complexion, and your part of the Black experience.

You have to fight the possible feeling of jealousy because there are other girls who are just like you, only lighter, and they have more potential suitors because they have lighter skin. You have to learn to have more discernment to avoid men who inherently think less of you because you’re darker, you learn to have greater appreciation for who you are and how you were made. You have to learn about the effects of white supremacy on our people and how it has affected beauty standards in our community, etc. Nevermind the fact that women regardless of race are judged based on looks so if you happen to be a woman considered less attractive you gotta deal with that as well and learn the importance of not basing your worth on looks a lot sooner than other girls (because that’s a lesson every woman learns as she officially becomes old).

And the real trick is you gotta learn all that shyt while you’re young and cute so you can actually pick a good dude before you’re considered old :laff:

Being a Black woman is an experience. Lol

But with all that- I know y’all have your unique experiences as Black men, too

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Mane, just stay u like butter pecan and move on. If he dated a Redbone, folks would be complaining about how she wasn't high yellow.

Let em be mad.

Nick Cannon on his Future shyt. He's going to have kids all over like Hollywood Nicky.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Has his poor mother released a counter statement denying his false remarks on her ethnicity?

Nick is also claiming to be of mixed race if hes saying his own mother is.
Between Cannon and Crews it's hard to tell the bigger c00n.

jay83

Superstar
Daps
I’m not a big fan of 50 cent but he was completely right about nick cannon years ago. He’s legendary corny.