NFL contracts unfair: Mathias Kiwanuka

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just because Mathias Kiwanuka agreed to the pay cut he took to stay with the Giants this year, that doesn’t mean he’s happy about it.

Kiwanuka railed against NFL contracts in general and the situation he found himself in specifically when he saw his pay for 2014 slashed from $4.375 million to $1.5 million. Kiwanuka said he went along with the Giants’ request to take a pay cut in large part because his wife had a baby in April and he didn’t want to uproot his family this offseason, but he doesn’t appreciate the fact that NFL teams can cut a player at any time.

“It’s something that is bargained collectively and for me, as an individual, you only have one action or recourse and that is to withhold your services and hold out,” Kiwanuka told Conor Orr of the Star-Ledger. “There is no market for you to shop your skills around. That is the part that is very unfair to players. We’ve come a long way, I can’t imagine playing in the league without free agency, there has been progress. It is more fair than it has been in the past but that doesn’t mean it’s fair or equal now.”

Kiwanuka believes NFL contracts should be structured more like Major League Baseball contracts, so that the whole deal is guaranteed.

“If we are going to be playing on these contracts, make them contracts,” Kiwanuka said. “Either that or everyone sign a one-year deal every year and we’ll do it that way. It’s not fair to be locked in somewhere and have that place say that we’ve decided not to honor the rest of the deal. I don’t think it is a contract by definition if one side can opt out of it at any point and the other has no recourse.”

Although he described himself as “very angry and very upset” when he first found out the Giants were going to force him to take a pay cut or get cut, he also described himself as a “team player” who will do everything the Giants ask of him. He just wishes NFL teams weren’t so often asking players to take less money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/17/marshawn-lynch-shows-up-for-mandatory-minicamp/

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Just because Mathias Kiwanuka agreed to the pay cut he took to stay with the Giants this year, that doesn’t mean he’s happy about it.

Kiwanuka railed against NFL contracts in general and the situation he found himself in specifically when he saw his pay for 2014 slashed from $4.375 million to $1.5 million. Kiwanuka said he went along with the Giants’ request to take a pay cut in large part because his wife had a baby in April and he didn’t want to uproot his family this offseason, but he doesn’t appreciate the fact that NFL teams can cut a player at any time.

“It’s something that is bargained collectively and for me, as an individual, you only have one action or recourse and that is to withhold your services and hold out,” Kiwanuka told Conor Orr of the Star-Ledger. “There is no market for you to shop your skills around. That is the part that is very unfair to players. We’ve come a long way, I can’t imagine playing in the league without free agency, there has been progress. It is more fair than it has been in the past but that doesn’t mean it’s fair or equal now.”

Kiwanuka believes NFL contracts should be structured more like Major League Baseball contracts, so that the whole deal is guaranteed.

“If we are going to be playing on these contracts, make them contracts,” Kiwanuka said. “Either that or everyone sign a one-year deal every year and we’ll do it that way. It’s not fair to be locked in somewhere and have that place say that we’ve decided not to honor the rest of the deal. I don’t think it is a contract by definition if one side can opt out of it at any point and the other has no recourse.”

Although he described himself as “very angry and very upset” when he first found out the Giants were going to force him to take a pay cut or get cut, he also described himself as a “team player” who will do everything the Giants ask of him. He just wishes NFL teams weren’t so often asking players to take less money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/17/marshawn-lynch-shows-up-for-mandatory-minicamp/

shoulda played baseball or hoops. :manny:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Well if anything as long as he's healthy other teams can pick him up if the giants cut him right??

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
He could've said no, and when they cut him, he could've tested the market to see what he would get:manny:

He's crying about nothing. He should've had his agent negotiate into his contract guaranteed money, but he didnt:yeshrug:

QBs out here getting 60 million guaranteed and shyt....he could've asked to get his lil 4 million guaranteed in negotiations, couldnt he?:lupe:

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
He's not a full time starter, was drafted to be a sack machine that he never panned out to be, doesn't make many impact plays at a position these present-day Giants are always looking for new talent at (LB), and was a former 1st round pick who simply has not had a first round career.

Sounds to me like the pay cut was justified and he's getting paid exactly what his numbers on the stat sheet would dictate.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
There is no way anyone outside of qb will have a fully guaranteed contract. The risk for injury is too high. Player movement is what makes the nfl so special. NBA and baseball players with long guaranteed contracts act like spoiled brats. You have no power over them. The nfl will never relinquish the power they have over the players.

ROFLOCO

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The NFL compared to MLB & NBA is ridiculous. The NFL player's union is terribly ran. The player's should be getting way more guaranteed money for the inherit risk of the sport, and way better pensions that take care of all of their medical expenses the rest of their life.

And don't even get me started on the NCAA/NFL sweetheart deal that gives NCAA officials, and the schools they represent, virtually free labor from "student athletes".

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
ok, we really staying focused on the messenger? :what: NFL contracts are shyt, it's not even that they're "low-paid" for the most popular sport in America, it's all the BS conditions that need to happen in those thangs to even sniff half their value and how easily teams can simply decide to cut them or restructure. NFLPA needed to work on that instead of finding ways to reduce rookie pay. this is why i support players and their holdouts, get your guaranteed dollars :manny:

distinguishedNOW

THIS MY GOTDAMN HOUSE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wake.
he was accurate

Who has a gun to their head forcing anyone of them to sign? It's written in the contracts that the team can cut you and not have to pay the agreed amount. Don't like it don't sign it, or talk to your union about it. It's not criminal though...get outta here with that. That's standard business.