Next Year I Made a Vow to Beat "Souls Like" Games, Gid Gud Brehs give ya Marsupial some tips

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Last time I played a game like this was Demon Souls and it was the biggest pain in the ass, I have ever experience. Somehow, I been rubbing my furry chin at Elden Ring and thought to myself...."I should challenge myself with playing these hard ass Souls games".

Now this is where I need the Gid Gud brehs to give ya marsupial some gems, so I won't break my Steam Deck.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Elden Ring is a much more accessible Souls-like game.

You just have to put some time in to playing and figuring out enemy timing. After you put 100+ hours into Elden Ring you'll go into games like God of War feeling like a professional.

Yeah I heard that Elden Ring was tolerable compared to the other games. I also being eyeing Sekiro but I heard that shyt was demonic hard :whoa:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Will you actually have fun with it or are you just trying to join the club? Sounds to me like the latter.

A little bit of A and B. Like I was playing Godfall and the shyt reminded me of the Souls games. I really wanted to get into the series, but good grief, Demon Souls killed the feeling for me. Yet, games like Elden Ring seems tempting.

I been on a like a Samurai sword game kick lately, so that could be that :yeshrug:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
also being eyeing Sekiro

mqdefault.jpg

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
:huhldup: Sekiro that demonic?!?

It’s got a pretty steep learning curve but is extremely rewarding to play once you understand it. Elden Ring is a much larger, more explorative game overall but the linear nature of sekiro works perfectly and is a more “focused” combat experience.

My first souls game was ER then I beat Sekiro afterwards. You’re gonna have to be humbled and learn from failure in both of them so I can’t say which one is better to start with over the other. It really depends on the kind of game you want to play. Their gameplay shares the same DNA but they’re still very different experiences

Sekiro is more focused with less RPG elements but has slightly more technical combat and more mobility. The story is more clear and easier to follow as well. It’s not full on open world but you can fast travel to the various areas and go back to them whenever. The emphasis on parrying and aggressive play is makes the gameplay so satisfying. You actually feel like a shinobi master by the time you get the hang of it

Elden Ring is like Breath of the Wild where you have a ton of freedom to explore the world and follow the story however you see fit. The combat isn’t quite as “deep” as sekiro but more “broad” because there are way more weapon types along with magic. Dungeons have more puzzle elements and scary/creepy aspects to them and the open world is probably 2-3 times the size of the maps in sekiro. In a lot of ways it can be “easier” than Sekiro simply because you have more options at your disposal and can explore wherever you want, but there are plenty of fukked up bosses and dungeons out there on par with anything from sekiro lol

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
I have yet to beat a souls like game.

Bought bloodbourne on release
Tried DS3
Bought sekiro on sale (I thought this would be up my ally since it was like tenchu)
Bought demon souls at launch.

I will most likely either go back to demon souls or buy elden ring for a deep discount and try that.

Allen Poe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans --> Las Vegas
General tips:

--Patience is key
--One enemy at a time
--a "well rounded" build is a shytty build. figure out your character archetype and then focus on just the core stats
--iframes are your friend. it's often beneficial to dodge INTO an attack, instead of away from it
--if you decide to play Dark Souls 1, an upgraded Zweihander makes the game easy mode