New Day But Brutus Is Still Master Of The B1G Teague As CJ Takes Over Justins Field:2021 tOSU Thread

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Some info before camp tomorrow from Alex Gleitman:

• Seems a common theme across the board is that the defensive room has taken last year very personally. Getting run all over by Oregon and Michigan and getting points run up in the first half by Utah was something the group has used as a motivational tactic.
    • While Jim Knowles' schemes could appear to be more "complex", he's actually made things more simple for the OSU defense. "Taking advantage of having elite athletes and putting them in position to find ball-get ball" and "fly around to make plays" are some of the common things that were shared with me from almost everyone I spoke to about the defense.
    • One person I spoke with was adamant that you are "not going to recognize players this year". This person just thinks with a new system and new confidence in this group that guys you thought were duds last year are going to be studs this year.
    • The expectation is that you will see an immediate improvement in game one from last year, but that it may take about a half a season for the team to get fully adjusted to the new staff and new scheme. "I could see it being similar to 2014 with Chris Ash on that front in that you had some younger guys and a new system and it took them a little more than half the season to start playing their best ball," one source said. The feeling is that things will be "more simple" to start the year and they will add things as they feel the group can handle it.
    • Last thing is nobody is saying this will be the top defense in America. Top 10 like Day threw out last week would be great but the general thought is if this can be a top 20-25 defense they should be back in the CFP with the O they have
  • DEFENSIVE LINE
    • This isn't a secret to anyone who has followed Ohio State, but across the board everyone praised Jack Sawyer and JT Tuimoloau. I liked this one quote especially: "People don't remember that Jack was injured as a junior and didn't play his senior year of high school. They don't remember that JT didn't arrive on campus until right before camp last year. These guys both played last season and got their feet under them. They've now had a whole off-season in the weight room, in the film room, and in the spring on the practice field. We're just getting started with these two."
    • On Tuimoloau: "Don't be surprised if they move him inside more this year. Especially on obvious pass downs. I know he's primarily played on the edge but I think they'll use his size + athleticism combo to their advantage to get some pressure from the interior."
    • One person I spoke to thinks this is finally the year Zach Harrison becomes the 5-star we all thought he would/could be: "I think this defense suits him better. Less thinking more lining up and playing. Could be the year he finally gets unleashed and puts it all together."
    • I was also told to "not underestimate what Tyler Friday will bring to this team---both on the field and in the locker room. Nothing he does is jaw-dropping by any means, but if you want a guy who does his job every play and can set the edge for this team, all while being a leader, I think Ty can be your guy."
    • Michael Hall is someone who has stood out to my source since last year in camp. He thinks he takes the next step. This person also mentioned that Tyliek Williams "can be a dominant player but he needs to be focused at all times".
    • "Knock on wood Taron Vincent is healthy because I think he is very important to the middle of this defense. Another guy I think has a big year is Ty Hamilton. He's up around 300 and moving well. Reminding me of a rise like his brother---he's a guy I can see turning heads this year."
    • "I don't think you'll see him more than as a rotational guy this year, but Caden Curry is standing out amongst the freshman. He has versatility but I think he ends up as an interior guy. I also like Hero Kanu and his trajectory for his time here."
  • LINEBACKER
    • "This group is in a much better position than people think. Lots of young talent that I think will appear to be much better than people thought. The system is going to help a lot. The see ball-get ball stuff is going to help these guys the most."
    • The person with the above quote said they think Steele Chambers and Tommy Eichenberg are the "starters" in week one, but also added "they really are so talented, I'm not sure how you keep some of these guys off the field. Cody Simon, when/if healthy has to play. Teradja Mitchell is a veteran and he didn't come back not to play at all. You better believe IE (Gaoteote) is going to have a role. (Reid) Carrico had a great off-season. Chip (Trayanum) probably has a way to go in learning things but is so athletic. CJ (Hicks) has been really impressive thus far. Only two backers are going to be on the field most of the time, so it's going to be real competitive in camp to see who's fighting for those minutes."
    • Someone else shared the sentiments above, but felt like Knowles ideally doesn't want to be rotating all the time. This person did feel Knowles will use linebacker strengths to his advantage for opponent matchup and/or down + distance situations.
    • Consensus here is that this is a young group that should play MUCH better than what we saw last year.
  • SECONDARY
    • "Cornerback is going to be a strength of this team. Cam (Brown) knows it's his bag year and Denzel (Burke) is building off confidence from last season. Jordan (Hancock) may be the best in this room when it's all said and done. And the feeling is JK (Johnson) is going to be a big time player too. They absolutely feel they go a rock solid four deep here."
    • Although the four mentioned above should be the guys who primarily play this year, the staff feels really good about freshmen Jyaire Brown and Ryan Turner, I am told. I asked someone about replacing Dijon Johnson and I was told they may hold firm with the three they already have committed because they feel so good about the young talent in the corner room already, including Brown and Turner.
    • Word on Josh Proctor is that he is fully healthy and expected to have the season everyone has been waiting for. "If he didn't get hurt last year, he would have been our best defensive player," one source shared.
    • It seems Rocket Hickman is really loving the new system. "He's perfect for that adjuster role," a source shared. "He's really stepped up his game and taking on a leadership role. Last year I think he played with a little too much of a reckless abandon to his game. I think he's more under control, the game is slowing down, and he feels really comfortable with what they're asking him to do."
    • Sentiment is same across the board that bringing in Tanner McAlister was a great move. "He knows the system inside and out and is an extension of the coaching staff on the field. It's going to play a big role in those early season games as these guys learn how to play this defense in real time."
    • Rave reviews continue for Kye Stokes. I got them from staff members as far back as when they got his commitment last year---but you saw in the spring game why the staff is so excited about him. Not sure how much real time he gets this year, but I expect him to at least be a special teams ace.
    • I couldn't get firm info on Kourt Williams. Everyone I speak to loves him and thinks he can be an impact player, but I'm now sure how/when they use him yet.
    • I think Lathan Ransom still has a little bit to go in order to get healthy and back up to speed. Wouldn't expect a ton from him this season from talking to people.
    • On the flip side there is a thought that Cam Martinez could carve a nice little role out against pass-heavy teams and pass-obvious situations.
    • Sonny Styles didn't arrive until the summer and the overwhelming majority seem to think he has a VERY bright future, but that it would be surprising if he didn't redshirt this year. He can still play in four games in that scenario, but between the fact he should be a senior in high school, that he didn't arrive until June, and that there's talent/experience in front of him, don't expect much in year one

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
And did offense:

QUARTERBACK

If you watch CJ Stroud speak of late, you will notice a different air of confidence around him. In speaking with some people who have worked very closely with the quarterback that is not necessarily a cockiness from last season's Heisman finalist campaign, but rather a true confidence from how he has elevated his game this offseason:

"Lots of guys would rest on their laurels after last season's performance, but it just fueled CJ to work even harder this year," one source told me. "The end of last season, losing to the Team Up North, that left a sour taste in his mouth. Getting so close to the Heisman, the College Football Playoff, it just pushed him even harder this off-season. I think the work he put in and the results he's seen as a result on the field have really given him a confidence that will translate on the field. The game slowing down in year three is going to be big too."

Additionally, someone shared some more on Stroud, related to his off the field development.

"Where I've seen the biggest jump is as a leader this off-season," this person said. "Last year you weren't seeing him be as vocal as he is this year. He is a clear Alpha and has taken ownership. Last year there were questions--was this his team or not? There is no doubt this year. He's gone outside of his comfort zone a bit over the last year and really has grown in this area. It's something Justin, Dwayne, JT--the guys before him--all did well, all with their own styles. CJ has found his own style and is leading this team."

Outside of Stroud, I also got some thoughts on Kyle McCord and Devin Brown.

"They love Brown. Absolutely love him. Love the way he goes about his business and love what they think he can become as he develops. There is no doubt they see him as a starting quarterback, All-American, and future NFL Draft pick at Ohio State. But do not sleep on Kyle. This is a kid who has been a leader amongst his peers since the day he stepped on campus. He's extremely talented and has busted his butt to make sure he is improving where he needs to. His experience being able to start a game and see some action last year as a true freshman will be invaluable. Anyone saying Devin is next man up clearly has not watched Kyle. I am not saying I am calling either guy to be the starter--that will be decided ultimately next spring---but right now Kyle definitely has a leg up."

RUNNING BACK

There wasn't much talk about TreVeyon Henderson as everyone thinks he will be a stud as we saw last year, but I did get some feedback on the guys behind him.

"Miyan Williams has gotten even bigger and stronger, if you can believe that," one source said. "The staff wants to get him more involved. With how the game is today, there is a place for both Henderson and Miyan to see the field, even possibly together at times. We were very lucky not to lose Miyan this offseason. He can punish people and grind out tough yards in a way that Henderson can't. They an make a great combo and I think they're figuring out how to use that combo better than they did last year."

"I am not seeing enough snaps for a true meaningful role for Evan [Pryor], but there will be an effort to find one," a separate source said. "I think there's probably a little concern he could bolt after this year if both TreVeyon and Miyan are back in 2023, and they're going to do what they can to get him on the field and showcase his skillset a bit. You saw flashes in the spring game and I think he brings something a little different than the other two. There's only so many touches, but the goal will be to let him help where he can as a jolt off the bench, but also keep him satisfied to know he has a future here."

WIDE RECEIVER

"Marvin Harrison Jr. is who everyone is talking about," someone said. "Some people inside the WHAC think he is better than JSN right now. They are different types of receivers who bring different things, but pure talent, that is the thought for some--that he is their best receiver this year. He's going to be a bit more of a possession guy than Jaxon, but can be an absolute nightmare for opposing DBs when we get to the redzone. He's more of a Michael Thomas type of receiver. I know everyone is talking about him so this isn't a surprise, but the hype is real."

"Not sure what type of role he plays but Kam Babb is ready to go. He's one of the best leaders in the locker room, but he is planning to have an impact on the field as well. Praying he can stay healthy, but entering camp he's ready to roll."

"Emeka Egbuka has definitely taken a step up. He is maybe the most explosive guy on the offensive side of the ball. He should be key on specials again, but you're going to see him featured in the offense more. Tremendous versatility. My only concern is there is only so many balls to go around and with JSN and Marvin, coupled with Babb and guys like Julian Fleming, how much does Egbuka touch the ball consistently. I think 2023 will be his 'breakout' year so to speak, but you will see why he has a potential to be great in 2022."

"Touching on Fleming, will he stay healthy? That is the biggest question. B-Hart believes in him and he definitely has the physical tools to be a good one. Need to see him healthy before we can see if he can be an impact player for this team."

The last thing this source shared was that they think freshman Kyion Grayes will be a star. Kaleb Brown is dealing with an injury (nothing longterm serious but did require a procedure) right now so hard to say much on him. They think as long as Caleb Burton is healthy he can be a rock solid receiver for them. They also like Kojo Antwi's versatility and potential but think he needs a year or two to reach that potential. Right now they see Grayes as the stud of the class early on.

TIGHT END

Nothing big here, just that Cade Stover is the ultimate leader who will do whatever the team asks. He's 4-to-6, A-to-B and will give 110% every play. Probably their best blocker of the guys who will play, so expect him to be prominent in that role.

Having FB/TE Mitch Rossi back is an underrated piece for the team. They use him a lot in their scheme and they love the experience he brings and how he can block.

Joe Royer is the guy my one source called out as someone they see stepping up and maybe emerging as "THE GUY" this season. Nothing mentioned on Gee Scott Jr. or Sam Hart but that doesn't mean anything necessarily.

Said don't be shocked if Bennett Christian gets a little run this season. Staff loves him and thinks he fits in perfectly for what they're looking for and what they've gotten from guys like Heuerman, Vannett, and so on over the years.

OFFENSIVE LINE

HIGH HIGH HIGH hopes and expectations for the starting five.

Paris Johnson is a guy that the staff feels is going to be much more natural back at left tackle and he's really taking the opportunity and running with it. Dawand's solid year last year had him see the NFL light at the end of the tunnel and he is coming back this year to solidify being a day one or two pick.

At guard, everyone has heard the raving reviews about Donovan Jackson and there is no doubt the staff loves him. He's also probably the third tackle should PJ/Dawand go down, and there's a solid chance he slides outside in 2023 to one of the tackle spots, even though guard is the likely NFL spot. He's very light on his feet and just knows how to move people.

The other guard is the one everyone is sleeping on---sources indicate Matt Jones is primed for a big year. While he does have one more year of eligibility after this thanks to COVID the plan is not to use that. This is being viewed as the "contract year" and Matt is taking full advantage of that. Big reason for this is the change at OL coach. This is not a bashing Stud forum but Matt and Stud were kind of oil and water. They did not mesh. When Matt committed to OSU it was Stud's first year and the two didn't have much of a relationship---he committed to OSU because of the relationship between OSU/Meyer and Danny Landberg, his head coach at Erasmus Hall. This is why in recruiting the relationship with the position coach matters so much---Matt and Stud never hit it off and Stud's style really never moved the needle for Matt the way it needed to. It's a total 180 with Justin Frye and Matt LOVES him. You will see the results on the field and a good player very well may become a GREAT player.

Finally, at center, Luke Wypler was really hard on himself after last season. He felt he did not perform as well as he could have and he used that as fuel to the fire to take the next step in his development. He's always been a first one in, last one out type of guy and that remains. The work has been put in. He has the experience. He's developed. Luke is expecting to have a Rimington-type year, so we will see what that looks like come September 3.

As for the back-ups, I know OSU feels good about what they have in Enokk Vimahi and Josh Fryar, pending both are healthy (believe both were dealing with ding-ups in the spring). I have heard really good things about the development of Zen Michalski, which is great since many are concerned with tackle long term. Haven't heard a ton of many of the others, but someone did call out to me that they really like freshman George Fitzpatrick and think he's got a great trajectory as long as he puts in the work.