Netflix got another one: Stranger Things starring Winona Ryder

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Part of it is 80s nostalgia the rest is LOST style questions and answers.
Stranger things is nothing like LOST. It may leave an episode on a cliffhanger. Unlike LOST though, it immediately addresses the cliffhanger in the beginning of the next episode and advances the plot from there. LOST simply disregarded a lot of its cliffhangers and thus just baited the viewer all the way until the final season with no pay off.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
:dead: at "'Lost' style questions and answers"....more like questions and questions. They didn't know what they fukk they were doing with that show, and it's obvious.

Fred.

I wanted to believe the writers had answers:mjcry: shyt was such an epic buildup... but with no payoff:francis:

It was such a great show, that cant be revisited because of all the bullshyt the writers put the audience through.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I wanted to believe the writers had answers:mjcry: shyt was such an epic buildup... but with no payoff:francis:

It was such a great show, that cant be revisited because of all the bullshyt the writers put the audience through.

I never got into "Lost", was gonna check it out at some point but then I read an interview with David Fury (who wrote for season 1, then left) and they asked him "so what seeds did you guys plant in season 1....to expand on later?"

This was around the time of the final season. He told them there wasn't any seeds or logic....it was literally just "writers sit around and come up with crazy shyt"....any kind of connections were either coincidental or they're retroactively edit together after the fact, before the episode aired. Eventually that got too expensive and time consuming so they gave up on ever creating a coherent story.

I told my boy that, who was a "Lost" stan, and he was sick. I remember fans were mad as fukk at Fury....until the finale and then it was obvious he wasn't bullshytting.

Fred.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
:dead: at "'Lost' style questions and answers"....more like questions and questions. They didn't know what they fukk they were doing with that show, and it's obvious.

Fred.

fukkin' hardbody with that shyt. I gave up after a few episodes in season one. I like mystery/suspense but you can't keep me hanging for a long ass time and add more questions on top. I had to drop The Killing too when I found out they were stretching that who killed Rosie Larsen shyt to 3 seasons. :wtf:

Got homies that stan'd Lost kept telling me to watch until they saw the finale and told me not bother. :dead: If Stranger Things was anything like it I would have bushed it.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
I never got into "Lost", was gonna check it out at some point but then I read an interview with David Fury (who wrote for season 1, then left) and they asked him "so what seeds did you guys plant in season 1....to expand on later?"

This was around the time of the final season. He told them there wasn't any seeds or logic....it was literally just "writers sit around and come up with crazy shyt"....any kind of connections were either coincidental or they're retroactively edit together after the fact, before the episode aired. Eventually that got too expensive and time consuming so they gave up on ever creating a coherent story.

I told my boy that, who was a "Lost" stan, and he was sick. I remember fans were mad as fukk at Fury....until the finale and then it was obvious he wasn't bullshytting.

Fred.

I can't lie breh, Lost was a great thrill ride. Like an edge of your seat, you must watch every week, then discuss by the water cooler show. But having a coherent plan & story is very important. I hope the Stranger Things people know where they want to go and how they want to end this shyt. And hopefully they don't ruin a good show/story by overstaying there welcome for the checks. I see Netflix already trying to get them to do a season more than what the writers want to do. It only makes for a more watered down & bloated story. Show is already a slow burner.

Reminds why you can't get great story driven drama on network television. 22-24 Episodes and you always have to compromise the story for the checks.

• Dap

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I can't lie breh, Lost was a great thrill ride. Like an edge of your seat, you must watch every week, then discuss by the water cooler show. But having a coherent plan & story is very important. I hope the Stranger Things people know where they want to go and how they want to end this shyt. And hopefully they don't ruin a good show/story by overstaying there welcome for the checks. I see Netflix already trying to get them to do a season more than what the writers want to do. It only makes for a more watered down & bloated story. Show is already a slow burner.

Reminds why you can't get great story driven drama on network television. 22-24 Episodes and you always have to compromise the story for the checks.

This is another reason I stan "Breaking Bad"....Vince Gilligan envisioned 5 seasons....when AMC upped the budget for "The Walking Dead" they told him they'd have to cut "BB" down to half a final season....he told them "fukk that, I said 5 seasons, we'll go to another network"....then when season 5A blew up they actually wanted more eps. Begged him, threw money at him....he told them "fukk that, 5 seasons".

He left a lot of money on the table but you can't make a prestige drama and not know how it's going to end. Or when it's going to end. It's damn near impossible, and the fact that you're dragging the story out will be obvious to us. The average fan nowadays is too smart for that shyt.

Fred.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
This is another reason I stan "Breaking Bad"....Vince Gilligan envisioned 5 seasons....when AMC upped the budget for "The Walking Dead" they told him they'd have to cut "BB" down to half a final season....he told them "fukk that, I said 5 seasons, we'll go to another network"....then when season 5A blew up they actually wanted more eps. Begged him, threw money at him....he told them "fukk that, 5 seasons".

He left a lot of money on the table but you can't make a prestige drama and not know how it's going to end. Or when it's going to end. It's damn near impossible, and the fact that you're dragging the story out will be obvious to us. The average fan nowadays is too smart for that shyt.

Fred.

Wait, how was AMC messing around with BB after Season 4? Wasn't the show too big to touched at that point? That doesn't really make any sense to me.

• Dap

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Wait, how was AMC messing around with BB after Season 4? Wasn't the show too big to touched at that point? That doesn't really make any sense to me.

"BB" was a critical darling in season 4 but still only averaging around 2 mill per episode.

I got my facts mixed up....it was "Mad Men" that got a budget increase....they actually decreased the budget for "TWD". But "TWD" is outright owned by AMC so nobody on that show had any leverage to negotiate...."BB" is owned by Sony Television which gave Vince Gilligan the negotiating power to say "we'll go to another network if you cut the show short".

AMC eventually caved which lead to season 5A and 5B. By the time season 5B ended they had hit 10-11 million viewers.

Fred.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

Fred.

my respect for vince just went up:obama: i hate when tv shows ruin a series with fillers. TWD could've been amazing if they weren't dragging it out.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
my respect for vince just went up:obama: i hate when tv shows ruin a series with fillers. TWD could've been amazing if they weren't dragging it out.

Or "Dexter". Or "Homeland".

The number of prestige dramas ruined by running too long is honestly too long to remember. Unfortunately it happens more often than not.

Fred.