Netflix Estimated To Spend $12-13 Billion In 2018 - More Than Any Film Studio

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
All the creators need to get on deck. If you have a script or are a small budget film maker, consider getting something together and submiting it to netflix.

Might do a reality show myself

Yeah the only thing is I heard it's really hard to get your stuff to Netflix as an Indie filmmaker/ Television showrunner (Would love to be wrong about that though)

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
That’s not what their service is anymore. Original content is their future.

People still want to stream movies, it's what brought people to the platform to begin with. Somebody needs to figure this license shyt out. Hopefully the Disney/Fox/Hulu endeavor will be filled with movies.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
People still want to stream movies, it's what brought people to the platform to begin with. Somebody needs to figure this license shyt out. Hopefully the Disney/Fox/Hulu endeavor will be filled with movies.
Sure it’s what brought people there,but now they’re staying and coming for Netflix originals. They’ve evolved.

That Disney service will be filled with Disney and fox films. Just like Netflix will be filled with Netflix films. :manny:

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Can they spend that on some prestige TV? It seems like HBO still holds that quality crown with FX/Showtime coming in second.

HBO has 3x the quality at a fraction of the available content.
Different companies with different goals.

The HBO pipeline is notoriously slow with projects cooking for years and years and years. HBO has a fraction of the content with a heavy focus on quality and even then they have misses all the time. Just look at vinyl or here and now recently.

Netflix is in the quantity game. They have a lot of ok to good shows but they’re missing an undeniable crown jewel. I’m sure they’ll stumble across one eventually with the sheer amount of content they have it’s bound to happen.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
If they're spending $13 billion, then how much are they pulling in? :lupe:
They're following the amazon model of reinvesting in themselves i believe. Plus, it's not like they really have a choice. Once the heavy hitters start pulling their content, they're gonna have to find things to replace it with.

Thing is.. this is the right play. When all the other studios pull their content thinking they're gonna put shyt on their own streaming platform, they're gonna realize that only the die hard fans of certain content will also move with that content. Everyone else will just find a netflix replacement that may not be quite as good, but works. I mean why pay $15/Mo for HBO for only 1 or 2 shows that you truly care to watch when you can get so much more for you money with Netflix? Netflix is no longer a platform, it's THE platform.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
They're following the amazon model of reinvesting in themselves i believe. Plus, it's not like they really have a choice. Once the heavy hitters start pulling their content, they're gonna have to find things to replace it with.

Thing is.. this is the right play. When all the other studios pull their content thinking they're gonna put shyt on their own streaming platform, they're gonna realize that only the die hard fans of certain content will also move with that content. Everyone else will just find a netflix replacement that may not be quite as good, but works. I mean why pay $15/Mo for HBO for only 1 or 2 shows that you truly care to watch when you can get so much more for you money with Netflix? Netflix is no longer a platform, it's THE platform.
The streaming game is going to be more convoluted than cable in the next 5 years.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
The streaming game is going to be more convoluted than cable in the next 5 years.
Oh mos def. People are sreaming for an al la carte type approach to TV to break away from cable, but a lot of these channels who don't have enough content to stand on their own will want to think they can charge $5-$10/Mo just because they have 1 or 2 marginally good shows. They're going to fail... hard. I'm not even saying 90% of netflix content isn't trash (to me at least), but they're the closest think to a true cable replacement. The rate at which and the amount of resources they're putting behind big names to produce original content will pay off in the end. A lot of these other studios are gonna get that blockbuster treatment in the not so distant future.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Different companies with different goals.

The HBO pipeline is notoriously slow with projects cooking for years and years and years. HBO has a fraction of the content with a heavy focus on quality and even then they have misses all the time. Just look at vinyl or here and now recently.

Netflix is in the quantity game. They have a lot of ok to good shows but they’re missing an undeniable crown jewel. I’m sure they’ll stumble across one eventually with the sheer amount of content they have it’s bound to happen.
The problem with Netflix is still that they don't have anyone to properly run their original content division. The quantity game will catch up to them (some might say it has already started) if they can't produce steady high quality output and people lose faith in their original content. Since original content is slowly becoming Netflix' primary focus on advertising, they would be better off using one billy of those thirteen to do some agressive recruiting of established tv/movie producers (not creators, actual producers!) to get some control on their output.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
The problem with Netflix is still that they don't have anyone to properly run their original content division. The quantity game will catch up to them (some might say it has already started) if they can't produce steady high quality output and people lose faith in their original content. Since original content is slowly becoming Netflix' primary focus on advertising, they would be better off using one billy of those thirteen to do some agressive recruiting of established tv/movie producers (not creators, actual producers!) to get some control on their output.
Agreed. I think they are fine on tv series but their films are severely lacking they need to sign a few producers that specialize in genres.

A Jason Blum or a James Wan for horror etc

I’m sure their is a lot of hesitation from some directors because they wouldn’t get their film played in theatres. People like Nolan or Tarantino or Cameron would never agree to make films for Netflix but I think they could do well with finding directors that have core niche audiences that love their films but aren’t mainstream.

They have an open piggy bank to play with they need to just figure out how to spend it better.